|This Super Smash Bros. related article or section is a stub. You can help Smashpedia by expanding it.|
A robot created by Dr. Wily, Zero was sealed away due to being uncontrollable and rebellious. A century later he was unearthed by the Reploid commander Sigma, but was still insane and dangerous. Before being subdued he infected Sigma with a virus that turned him Maverick. After his capture, Zero lost his psychotic nature and joined the Maverick Hunters, becoming a famous SA-ranked hunter who frequently helped out Mega Man X on many missions. Zero was seemingly killed twice in the line of duty (the first time during the Sigma War, the second during the Eurasia Crisis) but re-emerged alive and more powerful than ever (the first rebirth was where he gaiend his famous look from X2 onward, along with his Z-saber.) He would ultimately continue to assist X (and later on, rookie hunter Axl) on further missions.
Many years later, X and Zero took part in the Elf Wars, with Zero receiving a new body upon learning that his old one was the source of the rampant Maverick virus that needed to be dealt with. After the war's end, Zero was put in slumber, later awakening thanks to human scientist Ciel. Zero took up arms against an evil regime lead by a malevolent copy of X, and later gave his life to save human and Reploidkind from the evil Dr. Weil.
NTSC: A close friend and mentor to X, Zero first appeared in Mega Man X. He's a Rank SA Maverick Hunter and is capable of instantly learning new moves from his enemies. Zero has great faith in X's hidden potential, and together they fight to take down Sigma and defeat his rebelling forces.
PAL: A powerful SA-rank Maverick Hunter who can instantly learn new moves from his enemies. Zero first made an appearance in Mega Man X, and is a close friend and mentor of X, that game's protagonist. He believes in X's hidden potential, and together they fight to take down Sigma and his renegade forces.
- SNES: Mega Man X (01/1994)
- GBA: Mega Man Zero (09/2002)
Mii Swordfighter Costume
The Zero Mii Swordfighter Costume was released on June 14, 2015 along with the second wave of Mii Fighter Costumes. Nintendo also released a QR code for those who wish to have the exact Mii used in the costume's advertising.
As an Assist Trophy
Zero appears in Ultimate as an assist trophy, in his famous Mega Man X design. Upon being summoned, he will pursue nearby opponents and attack with one of these techniques:
- His standard three hit saber combo based off of the version seen in X4 and X5.
- Ryuenjin (龍炎刃, Dragon Flame Blade,) a move first learned in X4 by defeating Magma Dragoon and has been part of Zero's repertoire in crossover games. Zero performs a jumping anti-air slash with his Z-Saber covered in flames.
- Kuenzan (空円斬, Air Circling Slash): Zero performing a spinning, multi-hit aerial attack. First learned in X4 by defeating Split Mushroom.
- Genmu Zero (幻夢零, Phantasm Zero): Zero brings his saber up then slashes it down, firing a large powerful energy wave that can KO at 70%. This was one of awakened Zero's exclusive attacks in his boss fight in X5.
When defeated, Zero explodes into several orange spheres exactly like his death animation from the X series.
- Zero shares the same Japanese voice actor as Alucard from Konami’s Castlevania series.
- Coincidentally, they are both new assist trophies in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
- Zero's other fighting appearances include Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.