|“||Yoshi is all about egg-related moves, like throwing eggs, swallowing opponents and turning them into eggs, or turning into an egg and charging toward an opponent. With a high jump, recovery is a piece of cake for Yoshi! And for his Final Smash, a Yoshi army stampedes through the stage.||”|
|—Description from the Super Smash Blog.|
- 1 Attributes
- 2 Summary
- 3 Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- 4 Moveset
- 5 In competitive play
- 6 Role in World of Light
- 7 In Spirit Battles
- 8 Palette Swaps
- 9 Trivia
- 10 Gallery
- 11 External links
- High speed and mobility both on the ground and in the air.
- Flutter Kick does high damage if all of the hits connect.
- Very combo oriented.
- Capable of crawling.
- Forward Aerial can Meteor Smash.
- Down Aerial very high damage, dealing around 30%, assuming all hits connect.
- Egg Lay is great for setting up traps and reads.
- Throws Egg at foe and turns them into a Egg for 5-10 seconds
- Egg Throw is a powerful spacing and edge-guarding tool.
- Egg Roll has surprisingly high priority.
- Yoshi Bomb inflicts a good deal of own shield damage.
- Poor vertical recovery, lacking a proper recovering Special Move.
- Predictable recovery, relying heavily on his midair jump.
- All Smash Attacks have considerable ending lag.
- Very punishable grab if it misses, as it has long starting and ending lag.
- Very weak throws, none of them capable of KO'ing or comboing reliably.
- Has second longest dodge-roll in the game, after Samus.
Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- Excluding initial dash, dash animation has been altered.
- Crafted Yoshi from 'Yoshi's Crafted World is available as palette swaps.
- Forward tilt has an altered animation.
- Yoshi has a new up aerial animation.
Grabs and Throws
- Yoshi's mouth now appears swollen when holding an opponent, forcing him to hold it closed with his hands.
- Yoshi's Egg Roll side special now bounces along the ground rather than rolling.
- The eggs thrown by Yoshi via Egg Throw now bounce once if they hit the ground before exploding.
- Yoshi's Final Smash has been changed completely; instead of Super Dragon, Yoshi teleports the fighter to an open desert, where a Yoshi stampede tramples over them, damaging them and knocking them back, referencing a part of Melee's intro.
- Neutral Attack: Yoshi kicks once, and then kicks a second.
- Forward Tilt: Yoshi swipes forwards with his tail.
- Up Tilt: Yoshi swipes overhead with his tail.
- Down Tilt: Yoshi swipes his tail across the ground.
- Dash Attack: Yoshi kicks forwards with one foot.
- Forward Smash: Yoshi performs a headbutt forwards.
- Up Smash: Yoshi does a back flip, kicking overhead.
- Down Smash: Yoshi swipes low to the ground with his tail on one side, then to the other side.
- Floor Attack (Front): A tail sweep.
- Floor Attack (Back): Headbutts on both sides of himself.
- Floor Attack (Trip): A tail sweep.
- Ledge Attack: An inward tail sweep.
- Neutral aerial: Yoshi does a sex kick.
- Forward aerial (Noggin Dunk): Yoshi headbutts in a downwards arc; spikes when sweetspotted.
- Back aerial: Yoshi swings his tail backwards three times.
- Up aerial: Yoshi swings his tail upwards.
- Down aerial (Flutter Kick): Yoshi rapidly kicks below himself with both feet.
Grabs and Throws
- Pummel: Yoshi chews on the opponent.
- Forward Throw: Yoshi spits the opponent forward.
- Back Throw: Yoshi spits the opponent backward.
- Up Throw: Yoshi spits the opponent upwards.
- Down Throw: Yoshi spits the opponent into the ground.
|Yoshi's Special Moves|
|Standard Special||Egg Lay|
|Side Special||—||Egg Roll|
|Up Special||Egg Throw|
|Down Special||Yoshi Bomb|
|Final Smash||—||Super Dragon||Stampede!|
- Up Taunt: Dances around in a circle.
- Side Taunt: Chases his tail before pausing to stare at it.
- Down Taunt: Jumps up and down while flailing his arms and looking toward the screen.
An egg appears on screen as Yoshi pops out.
- Performs a short dance.
- Looks around.
- Left: Does a flutter jump, spins once, and gives the V sign. Based on an animation from "Yoshi's Story" when a stage is completed.
- Up: Punches the air twice, spins, and poses while standing on one foot. (Based on his "character chosen" animation from Smash 64 but has been drastically altered.)
- Right: Angrily punches a few times, and then turns his back on the screen facing right. A reference to Akuma's pose after the successful use of the Shun Goku Satsu.
In competitive play
To be added
Role in World of Light
Although Yoshi does not appear in the World of Light opening cutscene, he was vaporized and later imprisoned alongside the rest of the fighters (sans Kirby) when Galeem unleashed his beams of light.
He can be found in a ribbon pathway to be awakened, which can be accessed in a short time after taking Sheik's route.
In Spirit Battles
As the Main Opponent
- Hammer Bro
- Plessie (Giant)
- Kip (Tiny; x4)
- Like Like
- Spirit Who Loves Surprises (x4)
- Yarn Yoshi (x4)
- Leon Powalski
- Eevee (x3)
- Zygarde (50% Forme) (Giant; Tiny x7)
- Bulborb (Giant)
- Pig (x6)
- T-Rex (Giant)
As a Minion
- MC Ballyhoo & Big Top
- Baby Mario (x8)
- Cobalion, Terrakion, & Virizion
- River Survival
- Yoshi’s new Final Smash references the opening cinematic from Super Smash Bros. Melee, where a Yoshi stampede was seen treading through the desert.