Wind (applied to push and pull) is an aesthetic and physical element that appears in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U. It is present in some stages, where it will blow on characters, sometimes affecting their stance. For example Zelda's hair will be blown about in the wind, and Link's hat will point in the direction of the wind. Wind appears in stages such as Princess Peach's Castle and Pirate Ship. Certain attacks such as explosions also create temporary blasts of wind, and wind is part of several pushing and vacuuming attacks.
Wind is also present in some stages of the Subspace Emissary that constantly pushes objects. Headwinds make it more difficult to progress through a stage as characters keep being pushed backwards, while tailwinds increase advancement speed, but can cause problems with accurate jumps.
Pushing is a common side effect in Brawl of many attacks, such as Water Gun and F.L.U.D.D., that causes characters, as well as certain items, to be gently pushed away from the source. Most types of pushes work on both airborne and standing opponents. Characters hanging from ledges are not affected by this. It is usually much more difficult to fight pushing than pulling.
Sources of pushing include:
- Water Gun when charged up.
- Hydro Pump
- Ness's PSI Magnet, upon ending the move.
- Link's Gale Boomerang at the edge of its range.
- Toon Link's down aerial, when it pierces the ground.
- Mr. Game & Watch's up aerial and down tilt
- Jigglypuff's Puff Up (if foe is close to its body)
- Sheik's Vanish upon reappearing (excluding 3DS/Wii U).
- Pit's Wings of Icarus just as the move is initiated.
- The firefighters on either side of Mr. Game & Watch's Fire, while he is being launched into the air.
- The end of Fox's and Falco's rapid jab.
- The end of Pit's Angel Ring.
- Pit/Dark Pit's Breezy Flight, a custom variant of their Power of Flight
- Palutena's side smash and down smash attacks.
- Palutena's Heavenly Light
- Little Mac's KO Uppercut.
- The water of Pac-man's Fire Hydrant.
- Mii Gunner's Laser Blaze.
- Mii Swordfighter's Gale Strike.
- Donkey Kong's Storm Punch, a custom variant of his Giant Punch
- Marth and Lucina's Storm Thrust. A custom variant of their Shield Breaker
- Mario and Dr. Mario's Gust Cape and Breezy Sheet respectfully, custom variants of their Cape and Super Sheet respectfully
- Bowser Jr.'s Air Cannon, a custom variant of his Clown Cannon.
- Ike's Tempest, a custom variant of his Eruption.
- All hits, but the final hit on Luigi's Mach Cyclone and Dr. Mario's Soaring Tornado, custom variants of their Luigi Cyclone and Dr. Tornado respectively.
- The vortex of Bowser's Turbulent Bomb, a custom variant of his Bowser Bomb.
- Kyogre's Hydro Pump
- Latios and Latias move at a high speed when using Steel Wing, and as they travel, they leave behind pockets of wind that can carry (push) opponents.
- Certain boss attacks.
- Master Hand (3DS/Wii U only)
- Wispy Woods in Green Greens and Dream Land
Conversely, pulling or vacuuming attacks (such as Inhale) causes characters, as well as certain items, to be gently pulled toward the source of vacuum. Some kinds of vacuum only work on standing opponents, while others work on opponents in midair. Characters hanging from ledges are not affected by this. It is fairly easy to fight the vacuum's pull.
When Ganondorf's up tilt is used on a Rolling Crate, the vacuum created by the move will cause the crate to move at incredible speed. A vacuum effect can be used to free another character from Ike's Great Aether and Link and Toon Link's Triforce Slash.
Sources of pulling include:
- Ganondorf's up tilt (excluding Melee).
- Kirby and King Dedede's Inhale.
- Zero Laser.
- Wario-Man's up smash attack.
- Power Suit Samus.
- Waddle Dee Army.
- Aura Storm
- Link's Gale Boomerang on the way back to Link.
- The vortex of Sheik's Burst Grenade explosion.
- Konga Beat (weaker shockwaves)
- King Dedede when using Waddle Dee Army.
- Cook Kirby
- The suction portion of Poltergust 5000
- Ryu's Shinku Hadoken.
- The "catch" portion of Rosalina & Luma's Catch and Release and Gaurdian Luma (only on items), a custom variant of her Gravitational Pull.
- Ness's PSI Vacuum, a custom variant of his PSI Magnet
- Wii Fit Trainer's Hoop Hurricane, a custom variant of his/her Super Hoop.
- Deoxys's Hyper Beam.
- Latios and Latias
- Certain boss attacks, such as Galleom's spinning attack or Master Hand's Drill.
Items affected by both pushing and pulling are:
- All Containers including Sandbag
- All Explosive items except Motion-Sensor Bombs
- Soccer Ball
- Metal Box
- Deku Nut
- Green Shell
- R.O.B's Gyro
Subspace Emissary Stages With Wind
- The Wilds (Part II)
- Portions of Ridley Battle
- Meta Ridley battle
- Battleship Halberd Exterior
Stages In Brawl With Wind
- Pirate Ship
- Pokémon Stadium 2 (Flying)
- Spear Pillar
Stages in 3DS/Wii U With Wind
- Paper Mario (first area only)
- Pokemon Stadium 2 (Flying)