- This article is about Toon Link's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. For other uses, see Toon Link.
|“||He's smaller and faster than Link. His bombs explode with a unique anime-style. For his Final Smash, he emits light from his left hand and any opponents hit by it are trapped in the Triforce, subject to a punishing gauntlet of attacks.||”|
|—Description from the Super Smash Blog.|
When unlocked, he is fought at Pirate Ship.
- 1 Attributes
- 2 Summary
- 3 Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- 4 Moveset
- 5 In competitive play
- 6 Classic Mode: The Teamwork of Courage
- 7 Role in World of Light
- 8 Palette Swaps
- 9 Gallery
- 10 External links
- Very fast dash speed.
- Can wall jump.
- High priority attacks.
- Most of his attacks have disjointed hitboxes, as he wields a sword.
- Has tether recovery, as well extended grab range.
- His projectiles contribute to a very unique combo game, which combined with his Grab Aerial allows him to do quick pokes or punishes.
- Hylian Shield can block almost any projectile when standing still, walking or crouching. No damage will be taken whatsoever.
- Down Aerial can Meteor Smash.
- His Back Throw is one of the strongest in the game in terms of knockback.
- Lightweight and floaty, being very easy to launch.
- Most of Aerial Attacks have considerable ending lag.
- Lacks reliable setups for combos at close range, relying too much on projectile setups.
- Lack of proper KO moves.
- Can be hurt by his Bombs if they explode while holding them and opponents can pick up Toon Link's Bombs and use it against him.
- Below average recovery, lacking a good aerial movement and reliable recovery move.
- When using up special in mid air, he cannot use any other moves until hanging on a ledge or landing on ground for a second.
Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- Toon Link has a new forward smash in which he performs a backhand upward swing.
Grabs and Throws
- Neutral Attack: overhead slash that launches foes up and away
- Forward Tilt: area-of-effect overhead sword slash that knocks foes away within range
- Up Tilt (Half-Moon Slash): upward sword slash that pops opponents up
- Down Tilt: low sword slash from kneeling position; can trip
- Dash Attack: triple sword slash combo that culminates with knockback
- Forward Smash: low to high upward swing with high damage that launches foes
- Up Smash: air slash that launches enemies up
- Down Smash: crouch with sword sweep
- Floor Attack (Front):
- Floor Attack (Back):
- Floor Attack (Trip):
- Ledge Attack:
- Neutral aerial (Two Part Slash): front and rear slash; good for defense
- Forward aerial: upward swing with knockback
- Back aerial: spin and slash, knocking foes back
- Up aerial: upward sword thrust that launches foes up; great range considering Link's jump height and double-jump
- Down aerial (Sword Plant): downward sword thrust that can meteor smash
Grabs and Throws
- Grab: Hookshot snare; can be used to grab onto a ledge as well
- Forward Throw:
- Back Throw:
- Up Throw:
- Down Throw:
|Toon Link's Special Moves|
|Standard Special||Hero's Bow|
|Up Special||Spin Attack|
|Final Smash||Triforce Slash|
- Up Taunt: Takes out his wand and does whirls it around.
- Down Taunt: A fairy comes out and flies around him as he stares at it in bewilderment.
- Side Taunt: He attacks with his sword randomly as if warding something off.
An anime-like explosion occurs as Toon Link steps out.
In competitive play
Toon Link is seen as one of the most underrepresented characters in the game, seeing the least amount of tournament play of the the three Links. In the early months of Ultimate's release, he was seen as mid-tier and the worst of the three Links. But in Japan, Toon Link's representation stayed very strong thanks to players such as Ri-ma, Sigma and Lv.1. These players have been consistently getting Top 8 and Top 16 at some of the biggest tournaments there, including the second-largest Japanese tournament, Umebura Japan Major 2019, and several Sumabato and other Umebura events.
Because of this, Toon Link is notably viewed as high-tier among select top players, such as Goblin and Nairo. Later, update 7.0.0 noticeably strengthened Toon Link's down smash and increased his grab aerial's active frames, as well as granting him a handful of quality of life buffs. These improvements allow him more viability in the current meta of Ultimate, with more players seeing his strengths over the other two Links.
Classic Mode: The Teamwork of Courage
Toon Link fights alongside two CPU Toon Link teammates in all of his battles, likely referencing The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes. Toon Link fights characters from different universes in each stage.
Role in World of Light
Although Toon Link does not appear in the World of Light opening cutscene, he was vaporized and later imprisoned alongside the rest of the fighters (except Kirby) when Galeem unleashed his beams of light.
Toon Link is unlocked in the Forest Hill sub-area of The Light Realm. To awaken him, the player must activate a nearby switch which extends the bridge and defeat the spirit of Zelda (Breath of the Wild) that's in front of him.
|2||Red||Based on Red Link from The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords.|
|3||Blue||Based on Blue Link from The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords.|
|4||Purple||Based on Purple Link from The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords.|
|5||Chartreuse||Based on Link's old-fashioned appearance in The Legend of Zelda.|
|6||Black||Based on Dark Link.|
|7||Gray||Based on equipping a Blue Ring in The Legend of Zelda.|
|8||Teal||Based on Link's appearance in The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.|