Tips (スマちしき Suma Chishiki, "Sma(sh) Knowledge") are short blurbs of information that appear in both versions of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. These tips appear in two different locations - their own specialized menu in the Vault, or on the loading screens of the game. Some tips are shared between games, while others are not.
The many tips in the game are categorized into different types.
- amiibo tips focus on the use of amiibo.
- Fighter tips mainly provide information about characters' special moves.
- Stage tips give notes about stages.
- Item tips document items, Pokémon, and Assist Trophies.
- Mode tips provide notes about the various modes, including Smash Run and Smash Tour.
- Smash Run tips focus on enemies encountered in Smash Run, as well as its other unique features. (3DS only)
- Smash Tour tips focus on Smash Tour-exclusive features and gameplay. (Wii U only)
- Original Games/Settings (Background Info in Europe) tips explain the origins of characters, their games, and other elements of the game. (Wii U only)
- Other tips document game terminology and otherwise-unsorted notes.
- Fighters - Provides information on fighters, including their origins, special moves, and other gameplay tips.
- Stages - Provides information on stages and hazards.
- Techniques - Provides information on techniques that can be used in-game.
- Spirits - Provides information on Adventure Mode and Spirits in general.
- Items - Provides information on Items in general including Pokémon and Assist Trophies.
- Other - Provides information on various other things, including game modes and rankings.