The Path to the Ruins involves two characters; the Pokémon Trainer (who only has Squirtle) and Lucas. They are first seen on the edge of a cliff, as they see Charizard fly over their heads, toward The Ruins. The Pokémon Trainer checks the two pictures he had of Charizard and Ivysaur, and points at Charizard. Navigating through overland and through an underground passage, they reach the entrances of the ruins.
Once there, they encounter Wario. Lucas, recalling Wario taking Ness at The Ruined Zoo, decides to fight him, alongside Pokémon Trainer. They defeat him, and high-five. However, Lucas is disappointed he was unable to find Ness's trophy, but before long the two enter The Ruins.
- Scope Primid
- Boom Primid
- Fire Primid
- Goomba (Great Maze Only)
- Hammer Bro (Great Maze Only)
- Koopa Troopa (Red) (Great Maze Only)
- Initially, Gritzy Desert plays.
- Inside, the music switches to Underground Theme (Super Mario Land).
- Later on, it switches back to Gritzy Desert.
- While fighting Wario, Airship Theme (Super Mario Bros. 3) plays.