A taunt match, or taunt party, is a term used in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate to describe a kind of online match over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and Nintendo Network where players aren't fighting each other seriously, but instead decide to fool around for the entirety of. Taunt matches usually form when one or more players begin exhibiting friendly behavior, such as taunting or repeatedly crouching, in attempt of reaching an agreement with one another.
If everyone complies, the taunt match starts and the players will likely then proceed to having several successive taunt matches. However, should one or more players ignore the advancements and continue fighting as they would normally, taunters may team up against the "tryhard"(s) to aggravate them. Such tactics as intentional self-destructs to rack up a fellow taunter's score, exclusively setting items that would otherwise dramatically interrupt gameplay (Smash Balls, Assist Trophies, Poké Balls, explosives, etc.), or using potential one-hit KO attacks like Mr. Game & Watch's Judge are all examples of taunters fighting off other non-taunters. Serious taunters may also choose the same character as their enemy's, and mimic them by copying their play style.
Palette swaps can also come into account, with players choosing more lighthearted colors for characters, such as Meta Knight's yellow jester-like costume, Luigi's pink and red costume, or Captain Falcon's pink and white costume.
Common Taunt Match Behavior
This list is not all-inclusive:
- Constantly taunting
- Absorbing or reflecting others' projectiles, and even playing hot potato with them.
- As Kirby, trying to copy a fellow Kirby
- As Pit, attempting to loop Palutena's Arrow.
- As Wario, constantly performing an uncharged Wario Waft. It may also be used to indicate the act of producing flatulence, however, in this case, it tends to be in real life.
- As Wario, Kirby, or King Dedede, using Neutral-B to eat or drink various attacks or item such as Mario's F.L.U.D.D. water, Wario's Bike, Waddle Dees or Waddle Doos, and various others
- Attacking Mr. Resetti if he is summoned via Assist Trophy in a brawl
- Abusing various glitches and exploits
- Attacking any player just before the match ends
- Camping, or evading serious players
- Chain grabbing
- Pivot Grabbing/Walking/Running/Throwing
- Choosing the same character so as to match up their taunts
- Choosing large stages like Temple or New Pork City to outrun any serious players
- Teaming up on serious players
- Constantly shielding
- Constantly sidestepping
- Constantly rolling
- Crawling around
- Crouching (apologizing) if they accidentally hit a player or self-destructing if they accidentally KO a friend
- Crouching next to each another for long bouts to show intimacy
- Exhausting a shooting item of its ammunition and then attempting to shoot it
- Footstool Jumping
- Grabbing other players or using grab-like attacks on them without dealing damage
- Having the match last for as long as possible during Sudden Death
- Intentionally breaking his or her own shield
- Jumping about or running around the stage
- Making as much noise as possible, often by abusing loud attacks
- Performing Smash Taunts
- Picking up heavy crate/box items such as Snake's box as Donkey Kong and walking around with it
- Pushing other players but not attacking
- Riding the tops of Rolling Crates
- Standing still and doing absolutely nothing
- Teetering over an edge
- Twirling by constantly moving the analog stick to turn around
- Using sacrificial KO moves on a player like Bowser's Flying Slam.
- Utilizing advanced techniques, such as DACUS
- Wasting Final Smashes or using them at the last moment in a match
- Dash dancing
- Shield shifting
Actions with certain characters
- As Olimar, going through the entire match without Pikmin and attempting to use attacks without them. Olimar can also keep using Pikmin Order, with or without Pikmin.
- As Diddy Kong, constantly backfiring the Peanut Popgun. Diddy Kong can also use Monkey Flip, without dealing any damage.
- As Yoshi, constantly performing Egg Lay.
- As Mario, eating a Super/Poison Mushroom and using his Up Taunt in Brawl/SSB4.
- Abusing Pokémon Change for Pokémon Trainer.
- Abusing Transform for Zelda and Sheik in Brawl.
- As Snake, performing a Smash Taunt on Shadow Moses Island, self-destructing midway through and continuing to do so, causing the codec call to loop infinitely. Snake can also keep using his Box taunt and allow other players to pick up the box.
- As Ganondorf, constantly charging Warlock Punches or using Flame Choke off the edge.
- As Jigglypuff, constantly using Sing and Rest.
- As King Dedede or Kirby, using Inhale on nothing.