Target Smash!! (Break the Targets! in Super Smash Bros. and Target Test in Melee) is a mini-game appearing in three installments of the Super Smash Bros. series. The goal of the game is to smash 10 targets as quickly as possible.
The game records the lowest time taken to smash all ten targets. If a character has never smashed all the targets, the game will instead record how many targets were smashed at maximum. There is also a total time that is kept that includes the cumulative time taken to clear every character's stage. The total time only appears after all characters have cleared their stage.
In Brawl, the player can use a code to play on the Target Smash Lvl. 1, as demonstrated here as well as play on the other levels. Target Test stages in Melee can be played on a similar method as well, including an unused stage as shown here.
- Luigi - Clear Target Smash with all 8 default characters.
- Mr. Game & Watch - Clear Target Test with every character (other than Game & Watch).
- Dream Land Stage - Clear Target Test with every character.
- Target trophy - Clear Target Test with every character.
- Lon Lon Milk trophy - Clear every character's Target Test with a total time less than 25:00.
- Sheriff trophy - Clear every character's Target Test with a total time less than 12:30.
In Brawl, instead of each character having their own Target Test, there are 5 Target Smash levels that are exactly the same for all characters, each with varying difficulty. The easier ones have larger targets while the harder ones have smaller targets. Also, the targets' color varies on the difficulty, matching the difficulty color. Levels 2, 3, 4 and 5 need to be unlocked by playing them or a higher level in Classic Mode. Example: playing Classic mode on hard difficulty will unlock level 2, 3, and 4 even though level 2 wasn't played.
This is a simple course, with very large targets, all near each other. It appears to be set in The Lake.
This is somewhat more complex. There are various high cliffs that have Targets at the top. There are also items scattered around the stage. It appears to be set in The Wilds.
This one is unique as it has a launcher, a spring, as well as a conveyor belt. It is set in a partial Box. It too has items. It appears to be set in The Swamp.
This level is icy, causing players to slip. There is one non-moving target that is very difficult to get, located at the bottom right of the stage, and for some characters, it has to be gotten last. This stage has no items. It appears to be set in The Glacial Peak.
This is the final target smash level. It has small targets, items, and moving platforms. It appears to be set in The Ruins.
Note: All of the challenges associated with Target Smash!! can be broken by a Golden Hammer.
- Lucario - Clear Target Smash!! on levels 1-5 with one character.
- Mr. Game & Watch - Clear Target Smash!! with 30 characters.
- Apples Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 1.
- Stafy Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! on level 1 with 10 characters.
- Super Scope Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 1 with all characters.
- Palutena's Bow Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 1 in under 15 seconds.
- Peanut Popgun Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 2.
- Pellets Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 2 with 10 characters.
- Blast Box Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 2 with all characters.
- Excite Truck Music - Clear Target Smash!! level 2 in under 19 seconds.
- Wario Bike Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 3.
- Ashnard Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 3 with 10 characters.
- Silver the Hedgehog Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 3 with all characters.
- Ray MK III Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 3 in under 20 seconds.
- Rocketbarrel Pack Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 4.
- Musketeer Daltania Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 4 with 10 characters.
- King K. Rool Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 4 with all characters.
- Cardboard Box Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 4 in under 32 seconds.
- Title (3D Hot Rally) Music - Clear Target Smash!! level 5.
- Outset Link Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 5 with 10 characters.
- Grey Fox Trophy -Clear Target Smash!! level 5 with all characters.
- Combo Cannon Trophy - Clear Target Smash!! level 5 in under 30 seconds.
Riddling is a mini-game created by players, wherein the player attempts to break as many targets as possible before touching the ground. Exact rules vary, but the most commonly accepted rules are:
- The trial may begin from any point on the field.
- The player must jump before any other inputs are used.
- Wall jumping/clinging/grappling, and Tether Recovery are all permitted.
- Some moves that do not do damage or require a grab to affect foes oddly work in Target Smash!!, including:
- From Melee onwards, the timer in Target Test still runs even if the game is paused. This is likely due to the fact that the player is able to use the time that the game is pause to effectively cheat; they would be able to see where all of the targets are before having to find them, which is why the timer runs even when the game is paused. A possible solution to this would be to make it so that the camera didn't show the entire stage when paused, just where the player currently is.
- In Melee, when playing as the Ice Climbers, only one of them (depending on the color) will appear on the stage.
- Also, in Luigi's target apparence a GameCube console.
- The music used in Melee sounds similar to the starman theme from the Super Mario series.