Animal Crossing version
I have reason to believe this stage is set in the forthcoming game, Animal Crossing: City Folk. I have four reasons for this hunch:
- The song "2 a.m." does not appear in Wild World, but does in SSBB.
- The characters are far more rendered than their Wild World counterparts. K.K. Slider's stage is also different to his normal Roost venue
- "SmashVille" is too large a name for AC:WW, and I think (not certain) the original game on the NGC.
- Perhaps most telling, the museum in the background of SmashVille has a river running in front of it, but crucially has no Holding Pond. In AC:WW, all (and I mean all) cities have a Holding Pond in the same 'acre' as their museum. On the other hand, an interface provided on a Japanese gaming website  seems to show museums in AC:CF will not have a holding pond. This seems to agree with SmashVille's town layout.
This leads me to the opinion that this stage is based on Animal Crossing: City Folk. I would like to add this to the article, but want permission first.
- I would say that that's a valid observation, but without some sort of reference, it's just speculation at this point. You may add it to the article, but I'd present it as a possibility instead of a fact until we can corroborate that info. --RJM Talk 16:56, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
I think this is intended to be (at least officially) a generic Animal Crossing stage, much like Mario Circuit for Mario Kart, Lylat Cruise for Star Fox, etc. and thus associating it with any one specific game is purely speculatory. 5280s (talk · contributions) 17:29, 14 September 2008 (UTC)
I've added a section. It seems neutral from where I'm sitting while giving as much information as possible. Does it seem OK? I've also not added the note about Holding Ponds. I checked Animal Crossing Community, and they show the museum does not necessarily have a Holding Pond, but the Pond can actually be located anywhere on the map. Apologies for that mistake. Ginger Warrior (talk) 11:20, 15 September 2008 (UTC)Ginger Warrior
You guys DO know that there was an AC on the GC (just called Animal Crossing; no subtitle). Why can't this stage be based on that? -Guest who calls himself Sk8torchic