Is this really the term we've settled on? Isn't Mushroom Kingdom specific enough?
-- Randall00 02:24, February 1, 2007 (GMT)
Giant page rewrite: Model for other pages?
Okay, so I magically pulled this page out of a hat. I gave a historical Franchise Description section because, let's face it, part of the reason for the global success of the Smash bros. series is that it features game universes and characters already beloved by gamers, so I think SmashWiki's universe pages should have general descriptions that tell the Smash player/reader what kind of franchise source material they're playing with. The franchise description section I have here is a concise overview of everything Mario (I think), and it's much less expansive and bloated than what's on Wikipedia, so I think that's what readers of the Smashwiki would like to see. I also think that making all the universe pages like this would make each one a swell directory for all franchise-related content for that franchise. One question: Should Yoshi have his own sub-universe page like DK will? Erik the Appreciator 03:25, February 17, 2007 (GMT)
- Excellent edits, but this still should be called Mushroom Kingdom. -- Randall00 08:08, February 17, 2007 (GMT)
- Thanks. And well, it doesn't really matter to me what everyone else decides to call the page itself; I myself would have preferred Mario universe, since Mushroom Kingdom refers to the unlockable SSB stage. Erik the Appreciator 19:49, February 17, 2007 (GMT)
- In fact, screw it, I'm gonna do that now. -- Randall00 20:56, February 17, 2007 (GMT)
Okay, so I now created Donkey Kong (universe) and am planning to create similar pages for Yoshi and Wario. The question that's on my mind now: Should I go through this Marioverse page and remove all Yoshi and DK-related items from the various character and stage lists in this page? And have those sections provide links to the sub-universe pages? I think that would make the various universe pages more balanced, because right now this page is much longer than I think any other franchise universe page will get on this site. A Mario-centric universe page that covers strictly Mario-universe, with links to Yoshi, Donkey Kong, and Wario sub-universe pages, I think is a good idea, but input is appreciated, of course. Erik the Appreciator 02:54, February 18, 2007 (GMT)
- I think it's worth mentioning that Yoshi and DK have played a role in the Mario franchise, but strictly speaking within the SSB-verse, Yoshi and DK are of their own worlds (at least if you go by their emblems, which is kind of what inspired "universes" in my mind).
- Really nice job on the rewrite BTW. I haven't read through it all yet, but it looks good. --Kirby King 04:09, February 18, 2007 (GMT)
- Now I made Yoshi (universe)... I thought of something great to use as a picture at the top of these universe articles: cropped images of the universe symbols for the characters, so that the Super Mushroom symbol is shown at the top of this page, the Triforce symbol for the Zelda characters is shown at the top of the Zelda universe page, the Yoshi's Egg symbol at the top of the Yoshi universe page, etc. To mirror the approach of the Smash Bros. games at distinguishing characters by universe, we should put the symbols on these universe pages accordingly. Agree? Erik the Appreciator 00:25, February 19, 2007 (GMT)
I could get a picture of the universes symbol like the Mushroom and Triforce. Once I get them then I will let you put them on the pages. The Magnum Master 21:25, March 24, 2007 (GMT)
- That sounds nice. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be all that hard to do, though, so if you get them and I'm not around, you might want to upload them yourself. Erik the Appreciator 21:39, March 24, 2007 (GMT)
I added the pic. You like? If so, then I could do it for the other universes. The only problem ones I will have are the Fire Emblem one, Yoshi, etc. since they don't appear on the Adventure Mode Screen. -- The Magnum Master 02:05, March 25, 2007 (GMT)
- It'd do as a temporary measure, though the background is a bit distracting; I envisioned images of the universe symbols on black backgrounds. I think I figured out how you can acquire a clear image of a symbol on a black background however: Set up a rigged 1-stock match between yourself and two opponents, one of them in the fourth player slot being the one whose universe symbol you want to shoot, and go to Past Stages: Kongo Jungle, which has a totally black background on the bottom. Then KO the opponent in the fourth slot from the game so that the life meter disappears and only the universe symbol remains. While leaving the other opponent alone, position yourself so that the symbol overlaps with the black background to the lower right of the stage, take a shot of that, and you have what I think we need for a universe page. Pretty much all the symbols for the universes can be shot and uploaded this way, though not the Smash Bros. Universe symbol, in which case you'll have to try a single-player match taking place on either battlefield or Final Destination, and if you can alter it with Photoshop to make it look like the other images, that'd be great. Erik the Appreciator 17:08, March 25, 2007 (GMT)
Ah, I see now. I fixed it for you. Is that how you wanted it? If so then I have ones ready for the Zelda and Metroid universe. -- The Magnum Master 20:15, March 25, 2007 (GMT)
- Excellent! That could work for all the universe pages, though getting the images for the Kid Icarus and Metal Gear universes could be trickier. If you feel there's someway these symbol images can be made even better, such as increasing the brightness value of the images with Photoshop, feel free to try it on your own time. Or, what might be better, you might want to consider replacing the black background with a white one so that it blends with the page's background better and the symbol itself is emphasized at the top of each article. Erik the Appreciator 20:33, March 26, 2007 (GMT)
The pictures on the right (such as the ones next to "Mario" and "Luigi") are staggered on my browser; the picture for Luigi is pushed to the left and blocks some of the text. I'm going to fiddle around with the pictures to see if I can fix it myself. – MaskedMarth (t c) 17:00, February 25, 2007 (GMT)
- In my personal POV, those aren't the images we would even be having there in the ideal world. I put them there almost as placeholder images because I think for universe pages we should have smaller images in their place that focus more on each character's face and upper torso, and the bigger full-body pics should keep to the fighter pages. Erik the Appreciator 03:44, February 26, 2007 (GMT)
I am going to give you the idea of what the universe is :
The little symbol behind the character's stock is to be the universe. DK is a universe not a sub-universe. For trophies the Universe must be decided by obvious or debate game universe.
- Hm, technically you're right about how we define universe on SmashWiki: a game franchise the Smash games gives a little symbol to. And probably, as far as Smash itself is concerned, the DK, Yoshi, and Wario universes are simply separate universes from the Mario one. It's just that in lots of other games, those four franchises are always appearing together, like in Mario Kart, Party, Sports, and RPG games, whereas you never see franchises like Zelda and Fire Emblem crossing over in between their own games. That's why we kinda consider DK, Yoshi, and Wario "sub-universes" of Mario in addition to being their own universes (we're not saying those three are not universes, remember). Fortunately it's not a grave issue. :) Erik, Lord of Universes 01:36, November 22, 2007 (EST)
Should 'Mario' really be kept as the name here? Since Brawl refers to the series as 'Super Mario Bros.' maybe the franchise name should be changed to that?
Guys, I'm confused.
I wasn't really paying much attention back when you guys debated whether games should stay as articles or be merged with their universe pages, so what was the verdict? We have pages about Super Mario bros and SMB2 yet there's information about them here on the page. What is the smashwiki policy? Sir Anon the great 03:07, August 18, 2010 (UTC)