Tabuu (タブー, Tabuu) is the leader of the Subspace Army and the final boss of Subspace Emissary. He uses the Subspace Bombs to send entire locations to his dimension, where he absorbs their power to increase his own. His name could be a pun on the English word "taboo", which is to be unacceptable or improper by society's terms.
Role in The Subspace Emissary
Tabuu is actually the embodiment of Subspace. His plan was to cut the world of trophies into pieces and take them to Subspace for his world. However, he himself can not leave Subspace, which is why he created the Subspace Army, to act in his stead. According to the Ancient Minister trophy, Tabuu took over The Island of the Ancients, the home of the R.O.B.s and forced them to serve him under the threat of annihilation. Tabuu first discovered that Mr. Game & Watch had Shadow Bugs in him and captured him to harness the power, and thus the Subspace Army was born. Tabuu studied and took control of the master of the Smash Bros. world, Master Hand, who enlisted the help of Ganondorf, Bowser and Wario. These three would hunt down any fighters that would stand in the way of Tabuu's plans.
Ganondorf eventually realizes that Tabuu was actually controlling Master Hand and that he was not actually following Master Hand's orders but was being tricked by Tabuu. Enraged, he charges a futile attack at Tabuu who quickly turns him into a trophy. Ganondorf's body hits the puppetered Master Hand, thus breaking him free of his Chains of Light. Master Hand also charges at Tabuu, but to no avail. Tabuu then turns everyone into a trophy as soon as they approach.
However, Luigi, Kirby, and Ness are later revived thanks to the Dedede Badge and rescue everyone. Tabuu then creates a maze out of the worlds that have been consumed by Subspace and brings back the old enemies. He also creates dark clones of all the heroes to slow them down. Once the player has reached Tabuu, he will attempt to turn everyone back into trophies again. Before Tabuu can unleash his attack however, he is ambushed by Sonic the Hedgehog. Anyone can fight Tabuu, however the player must first pick up the trophies of the fallen comrades in order to do so.
Standard Tabuu Trophy
The ruler of Subspace and master of operations. Tabuu controls Master Hand with chains of light to excise this world and build up his great maze. He used Shadow Bugs to form Subspace and manipulates the servants of Master Hand to his heart's content. Born in a vastly foreign realm, he also possesses great leadership powers. Tabuu...No name is more suitable.
Winged Tabuu Trophy
Tabuu with wings extended. The dreadful energy surges cast from these wings instantly turn all fighters back into trophies. Knowing this, King Dedede assembles all able-bodied troops and sets a timed device on each of them. This device is a brooch that, after the designated time runs out, revives all fighters wiped out by Tabuu.
In one of its attacks, Tabuu extends his wings. During the attack, Tabuu goes into the background, extends his wings, and sends out three powerful shock waves known as "Off Waves" that cover the entire screen. In the game, it turns everyone into trophies. Technically it does the same thing a Dark Cannon would do. Being hit with the first or second shock wave guarantees you a knock-out. However, it is possible to survive if hit with the third shock wave. The power of Tabuu's Off Waves are reduced when Sonic destroys his wings.
As the last boss of Subspace Emissary , Tabuu is expected to have a wide variety of attacks avialable to him, which are dangerous and increase in speed at higher difficulties. Additionally, Tabuu's attacks are faster and stronger in The Subspace Emissary than in Boss Battles at comparable difficulty ratings. Note that the names are not official, except "Off Waves" which was announced on the DOJO!!.
- Off Waves (Also known as Winged Tabuu)- During this attack, Tabuu appears in the background and opens up his wings which proceeds to release three red shock waves which can KO a character with 1 hit. To avoid the shock waves, a character must either roll or dodge with accurate timing. If playing as Pokémon Trainer, or Zelda/Sheik using Down B the instant Tabuu extends his wings also works. You can Perfect Shield, which is much harder to pull off.
- Dragon Laser- Tabuu appears on a side of the stage and takes out a gun in the shape of a dragon's head which fires a powerful laser dodgeable only by jumping up or getting a poison mushroom and ducking.
- Side Spear - Tabuu transforms into a wide spear and attacks sideways with one swipe.
- Chain of Light - Tabuu takes out a yellow chain and grabs the character, before swinging the character around and slamming him/her onto the ground for high knockback.
- Dual Eye Lasers - Tabuu transforms into a giant version of himself and appears on either side of the stage before unleashing dual red lasers from his eyes. They mostly work the same way as Master Hand's lasers, including leaving their user vulerable to attacks, but Tabuu's lasers are more powerful and only take effect at point of contact with the stage. Avoided by running to the edge of the stage where Tabuu is at and standing there. Easily achieved by sidestepping to the edge until you're at the limit and attacking upwards or waiting.
- Energy Blade (also called Energy Claw)- Tabuu appears mid-air on one side of the map and attacks the stage with a curved swipe with a red energy sword. Avoided by jumping.
- Teleport- Tabuu teleports around the area and appears at a set spawn which is randomly decided from the large amount of spawns available. He also sometimes teleports behind the character and attacks with one of the available attacks.
- Teleport Explosion- Tabuu teleports around, leaving a red explosion every where he teleports.
- Electrical Shield - Tabuu teleports to a random area and uses the object inside him to circle around and attack.
- Rapid Claw - Tabuu teleports behind the character and rapidly slashes the area near the character. The attack has less range than the visible shockwaves would indicate.
- Golden Bracket - Tabuu transforms into two brackets and flies across the stage, grabbing the character if not dodged and slamming him/her onto the stage.
- Pinpoint Explosion - Tabuu points at five locations which will blink. Those locations will explode after a second. Avoided by staying away from the red spots before they explode.
- Bullet Rain - Tabuu appears in a random area in the air and fires a series of small bullets. Tabuu fires a large explosion after his Bullet Rain. Avoided by staying behind him.
- Shuriken Boomerang - Tabuu appears on one side of the stage and throws a round boomerang which crosses the stage twice before he catches it. Avoided by jumping and using Up-B (depending on character) to avoid the second swing.
- Self Projection - Tabuu pauses and splits himself in half in midair and sends out copies of himself in all directions. Characters will take damage if they make contact with a projection.