Yoshi, a starter character in all three Super Smash Bros. games premiered in this game. Also, the stage Yoshi's Island, avaliable in Melee and Brawl, was based on the levels of this game. In addition, the music to Yoshi's Island is a rearragnement of the athletic theme of Super Mario World
- Red Koopa Shells have Yoshi spit out fire.
- Blue Koopa Shells allow Yoshi to fly.
- Yellow Koopa Shells allow Yoshi to stomp and release dust clouds, which damage enemies
- Blinking Koopa Shells give Yoshi all these powers.
- Green Koopa Shells do not do anything.
There is also Trophy of Mario riding Yoshi in Melee that was distributed at certain Nintendo events.
The Mario tornado might come from the spin jump of this game, as well as his down aerial in Melee.
Mario's side special, Cape was almost certainly based on the Cape Feather powerup in this game which gave Mario a cape he could use to swing and damage enemies.
One of Luigi's specials, Green Missile, could be loosely based on the pipe cannons, where if Luigi (or Mario) entered a pipe that took them underground and found the exit, they would sometimes fire out of a cannon upon exit. The game itself is also available as a playable masterpiece in Brawl.
- It is unclear whether the Super Mario World series belongs to the Mario universe or the Yoshi universe. While it is considered a part of the Super Mario series, the stage for Yoshi's Island is marked with Yohsi's egg symbol.