Summit is a stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It starts on an icy mountain top which Masahiro Sakurai, the director, describes as being the summit of Icicle Mountain, a stage that appears in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
The stage begins on top of the mountain but quickly breaks to the point where it begins to slide down a hill. During the descent, everybody becomes much more floaty. The key factor to survival is to remain on the stage, as making contact with the mountain while the ice cap is moving will result in an instant KO. Eventually, the peak splashes into water, where the giant fish (see below) may eat you if you swim around for too long. As time progresses, the stage eventually sinks, due to extreme weight from the Polar Bear in the background. After a while, the iceberg flies back up to the top of the mountain and the whole process is repeated. Several vegetables from the original Ice Climber game will make an appearance acting as Food Items. The vegetables appear in the order they do in the original game, namely an eggplant, carrot, cabbage, cucumber, corn, turnip, pumpkin, Chinese cabbage, potato, and a mushroom. They all restore 5% of health with the exception of the corn, which restores 10%.
While the stage remains on the mountain, flying clouds will hover across the stage acting as a platform. Similarly, when the battle reaches the ocean, little segments of ice often float past, which are particularly useful for avoiding the fish. Small icicles also form underneath the left part of the ceiling on the bottom and drop on unsuspecting players. As well as that, certain pieces of the stage are destructible; the blue ice in the middle can be shattered and the platform on the left can be broken at its hinge, making it vertical.
An important thing to remember is that the edges of the bottom of the stage cannot be grabbed, as they are made of ice. Naturally, the floor here is extremely slippery, especially when a character attempts to change direction rapidly. The Ice Climbers are the only characters who can walk normally on the stage without sliding.
The Fish is a hazard on the Summit. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the fish will pop out of the sea to eat any character that stays in the water at the bottom of the stage for too long. The fish will only appear when there is water around the base of the stage, not when the stage is at the top of the mountain or falling or rising. If the fish swallows a character, that character will be carried through the lower blast line to their death. The fish's tail is also capable of hurting characters, dealing 15% damage and giving significant vertical knockback. The fish can eat any number of characters in a single appearance, but it will always follow a set arc and will go after whichever character has been in the water the longest. If swallowed, there is no way to escape, but there is a small window of time in which a character can get out of the fish's path.
This stage doesn't come directly from Ice Climber but, there are elements in the Summit that come from Ice Climber. In IC, one has to jump on floating clouds passing by to go complete the stage. In IC, the Polar Bear would make the screen move up whenever it jumped. In Brawl, the Polar Bear jumps to make the iceberg sink. Another element in IC are icecicles. Towards later levels in IC, drops of water would turn into icecicles and fall. In IC one has to get vegetables if the player wanted bonus points. In Balloon Fight if one were to get near the water, a giant fish would come out of the water and eat the character.
Songs in My Music
- Ice Climber
- Balloon Trip
- Shin Onigashima
- Clu Clu Land
- Icicle Mountain (Melee)
Songs in bold must be unlocked
- During a Sudden Death match when the Bob-ombs begin falling, if any land on the stage, while it is sliding down the mountain, they will drop onto the ice, and act as though they spawned. A few seconds later, without moving, they will explode.
- The stage was revealed on Smash Bros. Dojo on October 31, 2007. In reference to Halloween, one image featured the pumpkin.
- Summit is a very poor stage for Olimar; his tether recovery is unusable on any of the edges, all non-blue Pikmin die upon contact with the water, his small size makes him especially vulnerable to the Fish, and his poor air speed makes it more difficult to land during the summit's descent.
- There is no trophy of the Fish, despite the presence of trophies for most other stage elements.
- When the summit is at the top of the mountain, it is possible to see the bottom of the mountain, where the summit resides during the "water" portion of the stage's cycle. This can only be seen with a hacked camera.
- Oddly, this stage is the summit of Icicle Mountain. Icicle Mountain was, however, in Infinite Glacier. As a summit is the top of something, that would mean that Icicle Mountain has a top, making it so that it is not an infinite glacier. One possible explanation is that it is "infinite" in terms of the cycle of breaking and recovering.
- Despite Sakurai's description of this stage as the top of Icicle Mountain, its appearance is inconsistent with the Icicle Mountain stage seen in Super Smash Bros. Melee.