Different users have access to different functions of the site. While anyone can do most things on the site, including reading and editing, administrators can access a few additional functions to maintain the high standard of content on Smashpedia. They are among the leaders of the wiki and are usually entrusted to mediate user disputes, arbitrate users, and interpret policy during times of argument.
Users can also request to become an administrator. More details can be found at Smashpedia:Requests for adminship. A sysop can also be removed from their administrative powers if they have been inactive for a very long time and/or have not used the tools properly. The members of the wiki can decide whether a sysop should lose their position or not.
So that these users can easily be identified on most pages, admins' names are highlighted in cyan.
Additional functions administrators can perform include:
- Deleting and undeleting pages, page histories, and uploaded files.
- Locking (protecting) a page so it cannot be edited or renamed by users without admin rights. They can also edit these pages.
- Blocking or unblocking Users from editing.
- Very quick "rollback" of undesirable edits.
- Change the text and style of the interface by editing the pages in the MediaWiki namespace, normally locked for editing by other users.
- Can view Special:Unwatchedpages to see pages which may be more vulnerable to vandalism.
Additional responsibilities include the following:
- Administrators should be active on the wiki and check Special:RecentChanges when viewing the wiki, looking at all changes made and reverting vandalism, improving upon edits, etc.
- Administrators are among the leaders of the wiki; they should always be ready to inform users of policy violations and ways to help improve others' editing and be role models for the rest of the wiki.
- Administrators are good users to ask help from when needed, and an admin should be able to provide help when requested.
- Administrators mediate disputes over content and between users and get involved if things become out of hand, and should moderate the forums and talk pages.
- Administrators should supply their thoughts and opinions on discussions about improving the wiki.
A bureaucrat can make other users into bureaucrats or administrators on their own wiki. They can also remove rollback and administrator status, but they cannot remove bureaucrat status from other users; please contact one of the community staff if you need that done. Bureaucrats' names are colored gold.
See the administrators' how-to guide for a guide on using admin functions.
The "founder" of a wiki, the person who first requested it, is given administrator access automatically. Founders are also given bureaucrat access so they can make any other user on their wiki an administrator or bureaucrat. For a complete list of users with administrator access, see Special:Listusers/sysop.
Listed below are Smashpedia's administrators.
These users, along with sysops, protect pages from vandalism. They can undo large amounts of edits from the same user while also being able to move files.
These users, along with sysops, are responsible for moderating the wiki's discussions.
Wikia staff members have full access to all Wikia. They will be shown in Special:Listusers/staff on any wiki. VSTF members have limited administrator access to all Wikia for cleanup purposes. These users will be shown on Special:Listusers/vstf on any Wikia. Please see the Central Wikia contact page for details on how to contact Wikia staff.
Administrators should not use their administrator powers to settle editing disputes; for example, to lock a page on a version he or she prefers in an editing dispute that isn't vandalism. Administrator powers should be used to help keep the wiki clear of vandalism, spam, and users who make malicious edits, but not for simple disagreements between users acting in good faith. Ideally, an admin shouldn't be considered "in charge". When enforcing rules, an administrator should not tell others to listen because they are an admin, but instead because those are the policies. The ideal admin is just someone who is trusted to have a few extra buttons and to use them for the benefit of the Wikia community.