Saffron City was a playable stage in the original Super Smash Bros., but did not appear in the sequel, Super Smash Bros. Melee. It was one of three stages that did not have a similar stage to it in Melee. Although some people say that Fourside is similar, there are far too many differences.
Some of the Pokemon that appeared from the door in Saffron City, however, continued into Super Smash Bros. Melee, including Venusaur, Chansey, and Electrode. it is also worth noting that although Porygon did not return, its evolved form, Porygon 2, did appear as a Poke Ball Pokemon.
Lay of the Land
Saffron City has a main platform, and a tiny one above the Pokemon door. To the right of this is a narrow platform. To the left of the main platform are two elevators (moving platforms); between these and slightly lower than the others is yet another narrow platform.
In the background, you will see Butterfree, Pidgey, Fearow, and other such bird Pokemon. On the stage itself, you interact (negatively) with Charmander, Porygon, Chansey, Electrode, and Venusaur. It is worth noting that some Pokemon can be knocked off the scrren, while others are impervious.
- Venusaur is impervious. It cannot be taken out even if you are invincible and have a hammer.
- Charmander can be taken out with stronger attacks such as Kirby's block, Pikachu's Thunder, and Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch. the best method however, is the hammer.
- Electrode is 'invisible', since any attacks thrown at it go right through it. Stay too long next to it and you will soon realize that you made a sorrid mistake.
- Chansey is by far the easiest Pokemon to dispatch. nearly anything can take it out.
- The Much-loathed-by-players Porygon is impervious. It cannot be taken out even if you are invincible and have a hammer.