Colonel Roy Campbell is a character from the third-party Konami stealth game series Metal Gear, first appearing in Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, who makes background appearances communicating with Solid Snake through his Codec device in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Referred to simply as "Colonel", Roy Campbell appears in the first SSBB trailer, during which Snake is officially announced as a playable character. Like Otacon and Mei Ling, he also appears in a number of Snake's Shadow Moses Island Smash Taunts.
During the first official SSBB trailer, which has Japanese dialogue, Solid Snake is shown receiving a Codec message from Roy Campbell. The trailer contains the following English subtitles during the codec:
- Roy: "Snake! Sorry to bother you, but I've got big news!"
- Snake: "What? Not another absurd objective, I hope."
- Roy: "Are you familiar with Super Smash Bros.?"
- Snake: "Ah... That Nintendo thing..."
- Roy: "Yes. Actually, we've received an invitation for you to join."
- Snake: [Oh-]
- Roy: "[Snake,] are you up for it?"
- Snake: "..."
- Roy: "Where are you right now, anyway?"
- Snake: "I'm on reconnaissance duty."
- Roy: "Reconnaissance?! Of what kind?!"
- Snake: "Knowing your enemy is the quickest path to victory."
On the stage Shadow Moses Island, players using Snake can activate a Smash Taunt that displays a Codec message in which Snake speaks with Otacon, Mei Ling or Colonel Roy Campbell about a character he is fighting during the match. He speaks with Roy Campbell about Bowser, Fox, Ike, Jigglypuff, King Dedede, Luigi, Mario, Ness, Pokémon Trainer, Wario, Wolf, Zelda, and Snake when he fights another player who is also using Snake. Snake talks to Slippy Toad when discussing Falco, and the number "140.85", Roy Campbell's Codec number, appears in the Codec screen, implying that Snake intended to call Roy.
When talking about Luigi, Colonel insults Luigi, much to Snake's chagrin, before suddenly mindlessly chanting "La li lu le lo", hinting that for that conversation, it was the Colonel AI from MGS2 that Snake was talking with, referencing the closing stages of the game when the Colonel begins to talk very erratically.
|Brawl Metal Gear universe|
|Stages:||Shadow Moses Island|
|Assist Trophies:||Gray Fox|