|“||A fighter that wields the Levin Sword and four different Tomes! Like in the original game, these weapons can only be used a certain number of times, so keep a close eye on the battle situation. Both the male and female versions of Robin are available, so you can choose your favorite.||”|
|—Description from the Super Smash Blog.|
Robin is a veteran fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, first playable in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. They were confirmed to return on June 12, 2018 during E3 2018. Like before, both the male and female versions can be selected.
- 1 How to Unlock
- 2 Attributes
- 3 Summary
- 4 Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- 5 Moveset
- 6 In competitive play
- 7 Role in World of Light
- 8 Palette Swaps
- 9 Gallery
- 10 External links
- 11 Trivia
How to Unlock
- Play VS matches, with Robin being the 53rd character unlocked.
- Clear Classic Mode with Kirby or any character in his unlock tree, with Robin being unlocked after Zelda.
- Have Robin join the party in World of Light.
In the first two methods, Robin must be fought and defeated on Castle Siege.
- Can deal a lot of damage at range.
- Levin sword deals high damage and knockback, granting Robin high kill power when it is in his arsenal.
- Discarded tomes and Levin sword can be picked up by Robin and thrown as items and discarded weapons also provide a temporary defense behind Robin.
- Disjointed hitboxes give him high priority.
- Good grab game, possessing both a combo throw and kill throw.
- Down air with Levin sword and Elwind can meteor smash.
- Strong zoning and camping game thanks to multiple projectiles.
- Strong edge game, with Levin's high knockback and Robin's many projectiles being excellent at edgeguarding.
- Thunder Magic is a multi-purpose projectile. Thunder is a good poking and harassing tool. Elthunder is a strong projectile for zoning, edge-guarding, and killing. Arcthunder is a useful zoning and shield pressure tool. Thoron is a powerful long-range projectile with a large hitbox and high kill power.
- Arcfire is a useful combo tool and a great ledge trapping move.
- Elwind covers impressive vertical and horizontal distance and Robin can change direction during the move to bait or trick edgeguarding opponents.
- Nosferatu is a command grab that heals Robin while damaging the enemy.
- Special moves and Levin Sword have limited uses before they must recharge.
- Levin Sword must charge up at the start of a match before Robin can make use of it, putting him at a slight disadvantage.
- Discarded weapons can be picked up by enemies and used against Robin.
- Poor grab range, relying heavily on special moves to secure grabs.
- Considerably slow running speed.
- Slow pummel.
- The fire and wind attacks in jab consume durability of their respective tomes.
- Cannot easily spam projectiles since they have limited uses.
- Inconsistent range, damage, and knockback due to switching between bronze and Levin sword.
- Nosferatu takes a very long time to recharge after it breaks.
- Vulnerable off-stage without Elwind.
Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- Robin now has a visual indicator on the HUD to show how much is left of a tome before it expires. Also applies to Levin Sword.
- Tomes and sword do not immediately disappear when hitting opponents, now bounce off of them.
- Does not possess Levin Sword from the start of the match; must wait for the sword to charge up before available.
- Levin Sword attacks have greater reach.
- Initial dash and dash speed increased.
- First hit of jab reaches higher.
- Wind variation of jab received buffs to knockback and hitboxes, making it connect more consistently.
- Forward tilt is faster.
- Less end lag on up tilt.
- Up smash animation updated.
- Neutral aerial now has a Levin Sword variation with greater range and knockback.
Grabs and Throws
- Grab animation updated; grab range increased.
- Down throw knockback increased.
- Thunder Magic charges faster and received an aesthetic update; projectiles (except Thoron) have increased in speed.
- Arcthunder has fewer hitboxes.
- Thoron can now be properly B-reversed; Thoron received an increase in knockback.
- Arcfire damage buffed.
- Elwind up special can now be angled, giving it more influence when recovering
- Elwind now only has five uses, much less than the nine uses it has in Smash 4; however, the tome also recharges more quickly after breaking
- Nosferatu does not put Robin into helpless state when connected in the air.
- Nosferatu now only has three uses before its durability is spent, less than the four uses it had in Smash 4.
- Neutral Attack: Robin swings the bronze sword in front of himself twice, and then uses an Arcfire tome to cause an explosion in front of himself; third hit uses up one use of Flame tome. Can also go into a series of rapid Elwind blades in front of himself that then launches with a final slash. Wind variation uses up one use of the Wind tome.
- Forward Tilt: Robin spins around and then slashes the bronze sword forwards.
- Up Tilt: Robin swings the bronze sword overhead.
- Down Tilt: Robin slashes the bronze sword across the ground.
- Dash Attack: Robin stabs forth with the bronze sword.
- Forward Smash: Robin powerfully swings the Levin Sword forwards; if the Levin Sword has been broken, the bronze sword will be used instead.
- Up Smash: Robin stabs the Levin Sword upwards; if the Levin Sword has been broken, the bronze sword will be used instead.
- Down Smash: Robin slams the Levin Sword into the ground; releases electricity around him that hits on both sides. If the Levin Sword has been broken, the bronze sword will be used instead; bronze sword version only hits in front of Robin.
- Floor Attack (Front):
- Floor Attack (Back):
- Floor Attack (Trip):
- Ledge Attack:
- Neutral aerial: Swings the equipped sword in front of himself and then behind himself.
- Forward aerial: Robin swings the bronze sword forwards; uses Levin Sword when a smash input is performed.
- Back aerial: Robin stabs backwards with the bronze sword; uses Levin Sword when a smash input is performed.
- Up aerial: Robin swings the bronze sword overhead; uses Levin Sword when a smash input is performed.
- Down aerial: Robin swings the bronze sword downwards; uses Levin Sword when a smash input is performed.
Grabs and Throws
- Forward Throw:
- Back Throw:
- Up Throw:
- Down Throw:
|Robin's Special Moves|
|Standard Special||Thunder Magic|
|Final Smash||Pair Up|
- Up Taunt: Points his sword in the air while saying "Let's tip the scales." For Female Robin, she says, "Time to tip the scales."
- Side Taunt: Levitates his sword and tome above his hands while saying, "Prepare yourself!" Female Robin says the same line.
- Down Taunt: Spins his sword and tome around him magically while saying, "You're not ready!" Female Robin says "Here I go!"
- Warps onto the stage
- Swings the Levin sword. Male Robin says "I'm always three steps ahead!", while female Robin says "A good tactician has nothing to fear!"
- Spreads his arm, holding a thunder tome on his other hand. Male Robin says "The key to victory lies within!", while female Robin says "Ha! Checkmate!"
- If Lucina is present after a match, male Robin sometimes says "Lucina, I hope I didn't hurt you."
- Robin, along with Chrom, appear together facing to the sides, then both face the screen, showing their weapons. Male Robin says "It seems our fates are joined.", while female Robin says "I've got your back!"
- If Lucina is present after a match, female Robin sometimes says "How can you protect Chrom if you can't protect yourself?"
- If Robin's Final Smash has been used during the match, Chrom will sometimes say "My strength is yours!" instead of Robin saying anything.
In competitive play
To be added
Role in World of Light
Although neither gender of Robin appears in the World of Light opening cutscene, they were vaporized and later imprisoned alongside the rest of the fighters (except Kirby) when Galeem unleashed his beams of light.
Male Robin was one of the many fighters that fell under Dharkon's control upon Galeem's first defeat. He can be found in the Dracula's Castle sub-area as the last fighter to be awakened aside from Richter before confronting Dracula; a ghost blocks Robin on the ladder below, and if Wario had been previously awakened by rotating the lever blocking him, said lever must be switched back to its original orientation for the cannon to ricochet off and destroy the ghost.
- Although Chrom is a playable character, he still appears in Robin's Final Smash and victory pose.
- Robin is one of the few characters to possess a secondary KO quote; male Robin says, "Reckless fool!" while female Robin says, "I was careless!", which possibly plays in their role as a tactician.