Rest (ねむる Nemuru?, lit. "to Sleep"; referred to as Sleep on the original Super Smash Bros. website) is Jigglypuff's Down Special. Jigglypuff turns toward the camera and falls asleep for some seconds. Before Jigglypuff falls asleep, any opponent in contact with it is instantly hit. This attack is infamous for its ridiculous damage, no startup lag, very small range, and long vulnerability period. Jigglypuff gains invincibility frames for approximately the time it takes to close its eyes.
The move varies from game to game, with Super Smash Bros's Rest having several times more knockback and more damage at the expense of some range. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, Rest is very similar to SSB's Rest, having extremely high killing power. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Jigglypuff's Rest deals less initial damage and knockback, only gives vertical knockback, and produces a flower in place of its fiery Melee effect - essentially nerfing the move.
In Brawl, its initial damage is 15%, with the flower damage between 7-15%. Flower damage is potentially 30% if the enemy stands still, meaning it has a possible total damage of 45%. Because of the reduced knockback in Brawl, it cannot KO at the low percents it could in Melee, and because it only gives vertical knockback, its general usefulness in early KOing is almost void. Also, because of this, Rest is not a Home-run Bat alternative in Brawl's Home-run Contest as it was in Melee. In Brawl it has no horizontal knockback and flower damage doesn't apply to Sandbag.
The attack can be combo'd into by many of Jigglypuff's moves, including Up Throw, Pound, and Up Tilt. In Super Smash Bros., Jigglypuff's Down Air Attack can combo into this move. The hitbox emerges in one frame, making it tied for the fastest move in the series with the Reflector move.
The invincibility frames also allow Jigglypuff to rest explosive items, potentially catching opponents in the blast without suffering any damage or knockback. It also means that some Final Smashes can be avoided (ex: Cook Kirby, which can be avoided via side-stepping, Critical Hit and Triforce Slash).
|Jigglypuff's Special Moves|
|Final Smash||—||Puff Up|
Leaping Rest is one of Jigglypuff's Down Special Moves that can be used via customizations. Jigglypuff shoots upward and falls asleep as it descends. If any enemy is in the way as Jigglypuff shoots upwards, they will receive damage and are knocked back.
- Deals damage to opponents airborne even if you miss the attack up-close
- Can be used as a recovery
- Less reliable for a KO move
- Can't grab ledges
- Deals less damage
- Left vulnerable for longer (midair first then ground)
Wakie Wakie is one of Jigglypuff's Down Special Moves that can be used via customizations. Jigglypuff creates a small vortex around it when it sleeps, which repels enemies. After a second, Jigglypuff lets loose a fiery explosion, which delivers decent damage and knockback to any opponent that it hits, Jigglypuff also wakes up after the explosion.
- Deals more horizontal knockback
- Pushes opponents away slightly before exploding
- Deals less damage
- The explosion itself deals damage to the user (5% damage)
- Not very useful if the move misses
- Less reliable for a KO move
- Since it pushes opponents before exploding, the explosion itself usually not hit
|Jigglypuff's Custom Special Moves|
|Custom 1||Custom 2|
|Standard Special||Relentless Rollout||Raging Rollout|
|Side Special||Sideways Pound||Pound Blitz|
|Up Special||Hyper Voice||Spinphony|
|Down Special||Leaping Rest||Wakie Wakie|
In the main series Pokémon games, Rest does not harm the opponent at all. It is a Psychic-type move with 10 PP that makes the user fall asleep for three turns in order to recover all lost HP and remove any status problem. It has been TM44 ever since Pokémon Red and Blue, except for Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee!, where it is TM05 and Pokémon Sword and Shield, where it is TM21.
In Brawl, if Jigglypuff is used on a Stamina battle and defeats an opponent using Rest, their Stamina gauge will remain. This is most likely caused by the flower effect, as it will shake as if they are taking damage.
- In Brawl, if Jigglypuff uses Rest over water, it will wake up as soon as it lands in the water.
- If sitting on top of Porky, Jigglypuff can use rest on him and deal a large amount of damage to him (about the same as the Home-run Bat).
- If Rest is used in Fountain of Dreams on the water, Jigglypuff's eyes will still be open, but only in the water's reflection.
- If viewed in the magnifying glass, Jigglypuff's eyes will be open.
- In Melee, if Rest is countered by Roy or Marth, Jigglypuff will not be hit by the returning attack due to the invincible starting frames.
- In Brawl, if Jigglypuff uses Rest in midair and is asleep, its eyes will "blink" open for a split second when it lands.