- For fighter info, see Joker (SSBU).
Originally a nameless protagonist, a tradition to the original video game release of entire main Persona game entries for the most part (except for the Persona 2 duology, whose protagonists, Tatsuya and Maya are silent in their own game, but not in the other, and Persona 3 FES, which featured Aigis, and established character of the main game as the last main protagonist of epilogue, titled The Answer). Since Persona 4’s anime adaptions (which featured a nameless protagonist who is now named Yu Narukami), many updated versions of the main games and spin-offs (some of which are canon, such as the fighting game Persona 4 Arena (Ultimax)) that relate to voice acting mostly began using the protagonists’ anime names, with Persona 3’s nameless protagonist, who received the official name Makoto Yuuki in the OVA movie, and Persona 5's protagonist being named Ren Amamiya in his anime adaptation. In the manga adaption, the protagonist is named Akira Kurusu.
Ren Amamiya is a second-year high school student who meets Morgana and transfers to Shujin Academy in the spring in Tokyo near Aoyama-Itchome. He lives in a coffee shop called Cafe Leblanc, located in Yongen-Jayaand owned by Sojiro Sakura, an acquaintance of his parents. He becomes classmates with Ryuji Sakamoto and Ann Takamaki, who join him in his endeavors alongside the mysterious Morgana. Additionally, he is the leader of the Phantom Thieves of Hearts, a group whose purpose is to steal the hearts of corrupted adults in order to create a reformed society. Later, more members join the Phantom Thieves: Yusuke Kitagawa, Makoto Niijima, Futaba Sakura, Haru Okumura and Goro Akechi.
- Much like Cloud Strife, Joker also originates from PlayStation.
- He is the only avatar-based playable character to have no alternate gender.
- Joker shares a same Japanese voice actor as Roy. He also shares his English voice actor with Xander Mobus, SSBWU/3DS and Ultimate’s voice actor for the Announcer, Master Hand, and Crazy Hand.
- Joker and Richter are the only playable third-party characters to make their fighting game debut in Smash, however, Joker did make a cameo appearance in BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle as a palette swap for fellow Persona protagonist, Yu Narukami.
- Joker is one of only four playable characters to appear in M (Mature +17) rated games, the others being Snake, Bayonetta and Simon.
- Joker is the most recently-created third-party character in Smash Bros. as Persona 5 was released in Japan on September 15, 2016. This also makes him the second third-party character to debut in the 21st century, alongside Bayonetta.
- Joker is the only fighter who had two console releases at the same time of his home game’s first release date.
- Joker is a third-party character who debuted on the Nintendo Console, the first being Cloud Strife.