|This Super Smash Bros. related article or section is a stub. You can help Smashpedia by expanding it.|
A Rathalos (リオレウス, Liolaeus) is a type of flying wyvern from the Monster Hunter series, created by Capcom. They are one of the most well-known monsters in the series, and can appear in many varied habitats.
|“||This giant beast will appear when summoned, spreading its wings to create a powerful attack. Rathalos has fire breath and a roar that stuns opponents. Finding a opportunity to get an attack in can be difficult!||”|
|—Super Smash Blog, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Official Site|
Rathalos appears as an Assist Trophy and a boss in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s Classic Mode and Adventure Mode: World of Light, where it serves Galeem in the latter. He is seen in the Ancestral Steppe from Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
His moves include:
- Flies into the background and fires 2-3 fireballs that cover an area for a short time.
- Lets out a roar, stunning any fighters on the ground, though it can be shielded/dodged.
- Flies into the background and charges at the player.
- Fires a large fireball.
- Jumps into the air to attack with it’s claws.
- Charges across the screen on land.
After he loses half his HP, the boss Rathalos will become faster. He can be stunned if hit by Pitfalls, Deku Nuts, or attacks that can cause stunning. Once his stamina is completely drained, the Rathalos collapses, just like in his dizzy animation.
Rathalos also appears as an assist trophy. When he is summoned, he will fly down from the sky. He uses the same attacks like he does during his bossfight. However, he does not fly into the background. He is immune to Explosive Barrels, Deku Nuts or Pitfalls. He can be KO'd but he is durable, has flinch resistance and cannot be grabbed.
- Rathalos is the only character in the Super Smash Bros. series who appears as both a boss and an Assist Trophy.
- Monster Hunter is the only universe with a Boss (Rathalos) but no Playable Character.