Raptor Boost (Japanese: Falcon Knuckle - ファルコンナックル, Farukon Nakkuru) is Captain Falcon's Side Special Move. Captain Falcon rushes a bit forward. If he comes in contact with an opponent during this time, he does a quick, flaming uppercut. When used in the air, Falcon will instead lowercut targets downwards for a Meteor Smash.
It cuts through many projectiles and some attacks, and pops opponents up in the air for quick combos. However, it is easily punished, for he falls on the ground for a brief time if he misses, and the hitbox doesn't come out until Captain Falcon is right next to the opponent, causing him to be vulnerable to projectiles and long reaching attacks while using Raptor Boost. Often hits characters out of rolls, sidesteps, and techs.
In Melee, if the move was used as a Meteor Smash, it would halt all of his aerial momentum completely whilst punching downward, often not leaving enough time to move towards the nearest ledge. In Brawl however, doing this causes Falcon to "leapfrog" over the hit opponent, allowing him to keep some of his horizontal momentum and proceed forward.
If the move ends in the air, Falcon will tumble, unable to DI, then fall into a helpless state, making it somewhat easy to SD if the move whiffs. In addition, if the move is used on the ground and carries Falcon over an edge, the attack will instantly stop and put Falcon into helpless, making it impossible to recover and also causing an SD.
|Captain Falcon's Special Moves|
|Standard Special||Falcon Punch|
|Side Special||—||Raptor Boost|
|Up Special||Falcon Dive|
|Down Special||Falcon Kick|
|Final Smash||—||Blue Falcon|
Heavy Raptor Boost
Raptor Boost can be customized to become Heavy Raptor Boost. Captain Falcon will now deal a much more severe uppercut, but he can only travel a short distance and it goes very slowly.
Wind-Up Raptor Boost
Raptor Boost's other customization is Wind-Up Raptor Boost. Captain Falcon can cover a much wider distance, but sacrifices some of its power. The move can also be charged.
|Captain Falcon's Custom Special Moves|
|Custom 1||Custom 2|
|Standard Special||Falcon Dash Punch||Mighty Falcon Punch|
|Side Special||Heavy Raptor Boost||Wind-up Raptor Boost|
|Up Special||Falcon Strike||Explosive Falcon Dive|
|Down Special||Falcon Kick Fury||Lightning Falcon Kick|
This attack is useful for Tech-chasing, due to its duration and range. Additionally, it can be comboed directly into Falcon's knee to achieve KOs relatively easily. Sometimes people combo with Falcon Dive.
In Brawl, the Raptor Boost is the main attack (for some players) for Captain Falcon to start a combo. If used on a foe hanging on the ledge, they will be meteor smashed and Falcon will quickly grab the ledge.
- When Falcon performs Raptor Boost and falls from the stage, he becomes helpless. Some fans take this as a note to the F-Zero games: When somebody tries to ram somebody from the racetrack but fails and falls, they become practically helpless.
- The Raptor in Raptor Boost comes from the type of birds Falcons are (Raptors describe any bird of prey); Falcons are Raptors, ergo, Raptor Boost.
- This is the only special move of Captain Falcon where there is no Falcon in the name, though this isn't true in the Japanese version, where it is called "Falcon Knuckle".
- Raptor Boost bears a striking resemblance in appearance to the move Dash Upper from Street Fighter, though said move does not have Falcon's signature flame effects.
- Some players refer to this move as "Right Hook". However, Captain Falcon uses his left arm.
- In The Subspace Emissary, when Captain Falcon uses Raptor Boost while standing on a breakable block, he will instantly use the uppercut.