The R.O.B. universe (ロボット, Robot) refers to the usage of the historically significant Robotic Operating Buddy peripheral for the NES as a playable character entity in the Super Smash Bros. series. It was first represented in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, both as a playable character and as a set of enemies in the Subspace Emissary story mode as the R.O.B. Squad. R.O.B. returns as a secret unlockable character in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.
The Robotic Operating Buddy (R.O.B.) appeared first as an accessory for the Nintendo Entertainment System. It had a short lifespan, with support for only two games, but remains known today for the role it played in getting the Nintendo Entertainment System into stores in the United States. It inspired other games' content such as Star Fox 64 in which the pilot of the Great Fox, ROB64 is based on R.O.B. And in F-Zero GX, R.O.B. appeared in the background of Port Town.
R.O.B. later appeared a hidden character in Mario Kart DS. One of his karts looked like his "Stack-Up" attachments.
Since the R.O.B. universe came to the Smash series with only two games to draw material from, the universe doesn't have too much representation, with just one character, enemy, item (R.O.B's Down B, Gyro) and a song, with no stages representing his "universe". It is likely due to the fact that R.O.B is a playable accessory that he does not have a stage for his universe. Mario Bros. is R.O.B.'s home stage in the Classic and All-Star mode.
List of games in R.O.B. franchise
- Gyromite (1985, NES)
- Stack-Up (1985, NES)
- R.O.B.: R.O.B. is the only playable character in the Robot universe, with his moveset being somewhat inspired in the R.O.B. accessory, such as R.O.B.'s Final Smash, Diffusion Beam, which is based on how the Robotic Operating Buddy would flash his eyes while used.
On the final character select screen (after all characters are unlocked), R.O.B. shares the fourth column with fellow Famicom/NES-originated characters Ice Climbers, Pit, and Samus.
- Gyromite - A remix of the title theme of Stack-up, the game R.O.B. was packaged with, and it was mislabeled as being the background music from Gyromite in Brawl. This song is also played during R.O.B.'s Classic Mode credits.
- R.O.B.'s victory theme - Upbeat music derived from Stack-Up background music when it was R.O.B.'s victory.
- Robot & Block
The R.O.B. series returns in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.
- R.O.B.: R.O.B. returns from Brawl. His moveset is, in effect, largely unchanged. He does have new animations for many of his attacks though, and several buffs damage-wise. He also has a new Final Smash and his default costume changes between versions, similar to his Mario Kart DS appearance.
- Stack-Up / Gyromite: Previously named Gyromite, this song returns unchanged from Brawl. It is used on the Wrecking Crew stage.
- Victory! R.O.B. Series: Returning from Brawl, this track is from the NES game Stack-Up, where it would play before starting memory mode.
- R.O.B. (Alt.)
Wii U Version
- Super Diffusion Beam
- Professor Hector