Porky Minch (ポーキー・ミンチ, Pōkī Minchi), also known as Pokey Minch, The Pig King, or King P, is a character that originated in the EarthBound series, and has appeared as a boss in the Subspace Emissary in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He is described as being a self-centered, rotten and spoiled brat, as well as a bully, and later became the antagonist of the Earthbound series.
Porky (called "Pokey" in this game) was originally Ness's neighbor. Ness's father had borrowed an indeterminable sum of money from his family, and Aloysius Minch, Porky's father, claimed that it was around one hundred thousand dollars (though he said it could have been a lot less). Porky also has a little brother named Picky, and a mother named Lardna. He temporarily joins Ness to find his little brother (who is notably more mature than he is), whom is later found sitting under a tree by a meteorite. Upon reaching the summit, Porky, Picky and Ness meet Buzz Buzz, a bee-like creature from ten years in the future who has come to tell Ness that he and three other heroes are destined to stop the evil Giygas and the Starmen's plans. However, Porky didn't want to be one of the heroes, saying he feels uncomfortable with the idea. He eventually joins the members of the Happy Happyist cult, whom are sent to attack Ness and his friends.
After the cult is disbanded, he and his father start working as business consultants for Mayor Monotoli. Later on, Ness and company eventually find Porky somewhere in the Mayor's building. However, Porky has Ness kicked out of the room. He uses the money to live a luxurious life, but steals Monotoli's helicopter when he (Monotoli) is confronted by Ness. It ultimately crashes into Deep Darkness Swamp. He is then not seen until he appears with Giygas, claiming that Giygas led him the whole time and that he serves only the strong and able. He tells Ness that Giygas shall destroy the whole universe. He battles Ness in a spider-like machine. After Giygas is destroyed, Porky escapes by time-traveling into another era, but not before taunting Ness one last time. His last message comes through Picky and says, "Come and get me, loser! Spankety Spankety Spankety!"
In Mother 3
Sometime after the events of EarthBound, he creates the Pigmask Army and creates strange chimeras everywhere throughout Nowhere Island. Before Lucas met him, no one had seen him, so his real identity was a big mystery. Due to a side effect of time-traveling, he had aged a number of years, and has become trapped in the current timeline, saying that no matter how much damage he takes, he will never die. He himself comments that he can be thousands or even tens of thousands of years old when Lucas meets him. His mind, however, doesn't seem to have been aged with him, as his immaturity and cowardice remains the same as in EarthBound; the only real change to his mentality is that he is now insane.
During the last chapter, he builds New Pork City, claims himself to be the ruler of the world, and relocates the people of Nowhere Island into this highly advanced city. It resembles an amusement park and is filled with pictures of the young Porky, the most notable being a giant statue topped with a crown. The room that leads to his throne room has a boat ride through a museum with things from himself, including the Phase Distorter and his original spider mech, both from EarthBound. Porky is fought in a spider-like machine similar to the one from EarthBound. After defeat, he encapsulates himself and his mecha-bed in the "Absolutely Safe Capsule", a completely indestructible device made by Dr. Andonuts and the Mr. Saturn which is used as a safe haven for Porky during emergencies. However, Andonuts and the Mr. Saturn designed that, upon activation, nobody could enter or exit it, dooming Porky to spend the rest of eternity in isolation, never being able to interact with anybody (besides sticking his tongue out at you through the window).
Porky's helicopter appears on the stage Fourside as a cameo. However, he, himself, does not make an appearance.
As a boss
As the third boss of the Subspace Emissary and a general of the Subspace Army, Porky sends Primids to divert Lucas and eventually deploys his giant statue, the Pig King Statue, which immediately begins to pursue him. Due to its high durability, this statue is almost impossible to destroy, rendering Lucas helpless and with no choice but to flee. Regardless of the obstacles in its path, the giant statue is able to effortlessly pass through barriers such as containers, barrels, enemies, concrete and even metallic buildings. Near the end of the path, Lucas approaches a flooded pool of water, the only obstacle which the statue cannot pass, and instead, blindly steps over the edge and sinks. This gives Lucas some time to get his bearings, however, the statue respawns shortly afterward.
After the chase, Lucas stumbles and gets his leg caught beneath some fallen debris, and just as the giant statue is about to crush him, Ness appears, using PK Thunder on the statue to knock it off its feet. When the statue recovers from the blow it leaps into the air and hovers above the two boys with hostile intention, now focused on Ness. However, Ness uses PK Flash and the statue is blown into many fragments before it can press any further, revealing Porky Minch himself (in his bed-mecha from Mother 3) crawling over the rubble in his machine. He attacks by charging back and forth across the map and by using various projectiles, but he is eventually defeated. His condition after the battle is unknown.
Porky is brought back by Tabuu to distract the heroes in his maze of different worlds.
Porky relies on his walker to attack.
- Porky's walker does a flurry of stabs, inflicting heavy damage if all blows hit. It is possible to directional influence out of it by approaching towards him and jumping above. Small characters can duck under this attack.
- Porky's walker walks around, which does minor damage. Difficult to see coming (the walker speeds up a little and its eyes glow), but easily avoided by staying away or jumping over the mech.
- Porky's walker hops slightly before rapidly charging at the player. This attack is very powerful, and has a lot of knockback. Jumping over the walker is advised.
- Porky's walker sends out six Porky-Bots from Mother 3 that try to self-destruct at the player. If the player shoots them with a projectile, they trip and explode.
- Porky's walker creates a ball of energy, which shoots a laser towards the player. In the air, it is a multi-hit attack and on the ground it is a powerful one-hit attack that does upwards of 50 damage. At higher levels, it is fast enough to circle around for a second (and even third) hit.
- Porky's walker jumps up high and tries to land on the player.
- Porky's walker hovers up, and tries to attack the player with a lightning bolt. At low HP, he does this two or three times (depending on whether or not he's on turbo). Standing on Porky will not dodge the attack, instead increasing the player's chances of a KO, being so close to the upper blast line. If Porky is at low health, doing enough damage to kill him will end the attack early (although his walker will land before entering dying animation).
As a trophy
A self-centered, rotten brat who lives next door to Ness. As the events of the game progress, he's rapidly led astray and becomes Giygas's right-hand man. Afterward, he goes missing in time and then reappears in the Nowhere Islands of Mother 3. He leads the Pig Mask Army invasion but is eventually defeated by Lucas and friends.
- EarthBound (1995)
- Mother 3 (2006)
Porky appears as a trophy, you can purchase it in the shop for 1500 G, the trophy appears to have the same design as the one he had in brawl.
- Despite appearance, the player can actually step on the glass vial and avoid some attacks, while other times, it leaves the player perfectly open to damage, but at this position, the player is capable of attacking the whole time he/she stands up there. Snake can plant mines on Porky that will explode next time he attacks. However, most of the times the characters will slide off quickly. This can, however, cause the Earthquake Glitch to occur.
- The edge of Porky's cage is sloped, despite appearance. This can be held as strategic value, and fast-falling attacks (Aether, Stone, Final Cutter) can land on Porky, then slide off, out of range of his legs.
- In the North American release, EarthBound, Porky's name was misinterpreted as "Pokey". In Mother 3, various "pig" references (deriving from his intended name) appeared in the game, ultimately leading the original interpretation to be revised to "Porky".
- It's quite easy to understand the mistake, really; Porky's name (in Romaji Japanese) is pronounced Pōkī. This sounds very similar to Pokey.
- Even after Porky is defeated, the player is still vulnerable to any previously deployed Porky-Bots. Failure to take note of this can lead to careless self-destructs.
- If the player defeats Porky before he jumps, he will show the first part of his defeat animation, jump and land still inflicting damage, before exploding and flying into the background.
- Porky is the only Boss who never comes in contact with a character outside of his own series (in contrast to Rayquaza)
- In MOTHER 3, PK Flash is one of the two weaknesses of the King P statue, another weakness is the New Year's Eve Bomb (however, in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, these bombs don't exist) which makes it fitting that Ness uses it to destroy the statue in the cutscene.
- The sound effect heard when Porky is defeated is similar to the sound effect used for the Ultimate Chimera's roar in Mother 3.
- Despite being in his Mother 3 spider mech, he appears much younger than his Mother 3 incarnation as if this Porky was a combination of his EarthBound and Mother 3 incarnation.
- Porky is the only boss whose trophy is different then his official profile picture.
- During the final few seconds of Porky's defeat animation, one of the legs of the spider mech collapses. This is done with enough force that it registers as an attack, and can damage anyone underneath it.
- It's possible to defeat Porky with a small Hothead, no matter how much health remains. Just before he unleashes his thunderbolt in the air, smash-throw it and the Hothead should stay remain in mid-air, on Porky, absorbing the attack, multiplying the power thus KO'ing Porky instantly.
- Amongst some EarthBound fans, it is debatable whether or not Porky is truly evil; it is implied that he is a misfit/socially awkward, the only person he considers his friend is Ness, and his parents seem to be abusive and neglectful towards him and his brother Picky. He also seems to have memorabilia of Ness in MOTHER 3, such as movie of Ness and co.'s adventures and the Friend's Yo-yo, which belonged to Ness. Some fans believe that Porky's "evil" came from Giygas' influence, and that Porky wouldn't be so cruel if it weren't for Giygas.
- As of now, Porky is the only boss to not appear as a spirit or any other form in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
||Master Hand · Metal Mario · Giant Donkey Kong|
||Crazy Hand · Giga Bowser · Metal Bros.|
||Petey Piranha · Rayquaza · Porky Statue / Porky Minch · Galleom · Ridley · Duon · Meta Ridley · Tabuu|
||Rathalos · Ganon · Dracula · Marx · Galeem · Dharkon|
|Characters||Ness (64 · Melee · Brawl · 3DS/Wii U · Ultimate) |
Lucas (Brawl · 3DS/Wii U · Ultimate)
|Side Characters||Final Smash||Paula · Poo · Kumatora · Boney|
|Bosses||Porky Statue · Porky Minch|
|Assist Trophies||Jeff Andonuts · Starman|
|Mii Fighter Costumes||Flying Man|
|Stage Hazards||Ultimate Chimera · Flying Man|
|Enemies||Devil Car · Starman|
|Stages||Onett · Fourside · New Pork City · Magicant|
|Items||Mr. Saturn · Franklin Badge · Ramblin' Evil Mushroom|
|Music||List of Music (Mother/EarthBound series)|
|Collectibles||Trophies||Melee Trophies · Brawl Trophies · 3DS Trophies · Wii U Trophies|
|Stickers||List of Stickers (Mother/EarthBound series)|
|Spirits||List of spirits (EarthBound/MOTHER series)|
||Bronto Burt · Buzzy Beetle · Fly Guy · Goonie · Koopa Troopa · King Dedede · Moltres · Pidgey · Ridley · Whispy Woods|
||Banzai Bill · Chozo Statue · Cranky Kong · Four Giants · Goomba · Kraid · Lakitu · Moon · Pak E. Derm · Tingle · Toad|
||Azelf · Boo · Red Bulborb · Chain Chomp · Cresselia · Cubone · Drifloon · Dugtrio · Electivire · The Fish · GEKKO · Hoppip · K.K. Slider · Knuckles the Echidna · Magnezone · Mei Ling · Mesprit · Metal Gear RAY · Metal Gear REX · Otacon · Parasite Queen · Peppy Hare · Porky Statue · Roy Campbell · Polar Bear · Silver the Hedgehog · Skarmory · Slippy Toad · Snorunt · Snover · Star Wolf · Tails · Timmy & Tommy · Tom Nook · Uxie · Villager|
||Affinity · Alfonso · Axew · Blastoise · Clawitzer · Dragonite · Emolga · Fortitudo · Honedge · Hydreigon · Inspired · Kapp'n · Lloid · Lumas · Mii · Milotic · Mr. Resetti · Nintendog · Pikmin · Piplup · Pyroar · Scizor · Shaymin · Steelix · Toad Brigade · Toon Link · Viridi · Wailord · Whimsicott · Wii Balance Board · Yveltal · Zapdos · Zekrom|
||Andy Bogard · Aqua · Athena Asamiya · Billy Kane · Blue Mary · Bottles · Buzzbomb · Carmilla · Cetacea · Chang Koehan & Choi Bounge · Claude von Riegan · Death · Dimitri Alexandre Blaiddyd · Dracula · Edelgard von Hresvelg · Geese Howard · Goro Daimon · Gruntilda · Heihachi Mishima · Iori Yagami · Jinjo · Joe Higashi · Judd and Li'l Judd · Kim Kaphwan · King · Kyo Kusanagi · Master Mummy · Mechanica · Medusa · Mobs · Mòrag and Brighid · Mumbo Jumbo · Mummy · Nia and Dromarch · Ninjara · Pauline · Phantom Thieves of Hearts · Ralf Jones & Clark Still · Rhea · Ribbon Girl · Riku · Rock Howard · Roxas · Ryo Sakazaki · Ryuji Yamazaki · Slime · Sora · Spring Man · Terra · The Creature & Flea Man · Tockles · Tooty · Tora and Poppi α · Tung Fu Rue · Twintelle · Ventus · Werewolf · Xion · Yuri Sakazaki · Zeke and Pandoria|