- This article is about the stage in Brawl. For the stage in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, see PictoChat 2.
PictoChat (ピクトチャット Pikutochatto?) is a Super Smash Bros. Brawl stage based on the software for the Nintendo DS of the same name. In the beginning, the stage consists of a flat, blank stage. As the match continues, pictures are drawn in. Some have different effects, like a face that blows wind at the players, rails with a moving minecart, a giant Piranha Plant and much more.
The only static platform is a "now entering" notification. Although the lower end of the main platform can sometimes be seen, it is impossible to go under and around it.
Oddly enough, for a stage that appears technical and futuristic, the crates and barrels appear in the present form instead of the stainless steel form, and although this takes place in a game system, the characters are still 3-D, unlike Flat Zone 2, where characters are 2-D.
There are a total of 27 drawings that can be sketched on PictoChat. They appear in a cycle, meaning that the same drawing cannot reappear until every other sketch has featured. However, the cycle itself is randomly decided at the start of each match. The stage balances the time in which a drawing is on and off; it spends approximately 13.33 seconds with a sketch and the same amount of time without one. As a general rule, bold lines can be stepped on while faint lines stay in the background. The sketches are as follows:
- Fire - Two floating bodies of fire are placed centre stage, which provide 1% of flame damage and mid-to-low knockback.
- Missiles - Two rockets fly in from each side, which explode in a comical animation when touched. Like the fire, they have a set knockback no matter what the player's damage percentage is.
- Minecart - A half pipe-esque structure with a minecart. The cart damages players if it hits with the sides and can Star KO. Characters can ride on top of it, similar to the Rolling Crate.
- Spikes - Spikes appear on both sides of the stage. They damage if touched but the knockback often hits characters back onto the stage proper.
- Blocks - Blocks are stacked upon one another. Players can move from block to block by jumping . This is the only drawing sketched in 3D, even though characters still walk on it as if it is a 2D plane, due to the perspective of the game.
- Springs - Springs appear on the sides of the stage and function the same as the item of the same name.
- Carnival Ride - A plus-shaped Ferris wheel with four platforms, much like the one found in the Stage Builder.
- Pendulum - A pendulum with a platform.
- Gusty Gus - A large face appears on the right and blows a strong wind that pushes characters to the left side. You can jump on his face to stay out of the wind.
- Farm - A house and a cow that moves around in the background appears. Grass is also added on the sides as an extra area to fight on.
- Piranha Plant - A piranha plant sits in the middle of the stage. Its teeth cause damage and high knockback.
- Whale - A whale appears with water spout. It can be climbed on, including the spout, which is actually solid.
- Clock - The clock's moving hands act as platforms
- Spears - A row of long, damaging spears appear on the floor facing vertically. They cannot be passed through, but jumped over.
- Eyes - Two eyes appear with a diagonal line between them. The line cannot be passed through in any way, effectively splitting the stage into halves.
- Lines - A complex network of hastily drawn lines. Some of them are big and others are small, but they all behave like platforms.
- Extension - This basically extends the length of the stage on either side with raised platforms.
- House - A house with a slanted roof that can be jumped on.
- Scaffolding - Two ladders appear, which lead up to a platform almost as long as the actual stage.
- Dominoes - Five floating dominoes appear, ranging from vertical to horizontal as they go across the stage. They can be used as platforms or as things to wall jump off of.
- Singing Man - A head appears on the right and a hand appears on the left, making some very peculiar platform shapes.
- Tree - A large tree appears with three branches going off in different directions to offer 3 separate platforms.
- Trees - Two pine trees appear, both with multiple tiers to climb on.
- Boat #1 - A boat with a flag floating in mid-air as a basic platform. This drawing is used in the image for PictoChat on the stage selection screen.
- Boat #2 - A boat with a sail on top of shallow water and within boundaries.
- Umbrella - An umbrella/parasol is put in the middle of the stage, working as a slanted platform
- Platforms - Just two diagonal platforms pointing down and inwards.
This stage is currently banned in tournaments, because of some unpredictable and overly powerful transformations (Such as Piranha Plant, Spears, and Gusty Gus) that can significantly affect gameplay.
This stage is based on the communication system that is built into the Nintendo DS, known as PictoChat. One can either type or draw a message to his/her friend with their stylus. Originally, it was only accessible from the handheld's main menu and just supported local connections. However, some games, such as 42 All-Time Classics, have integrated PictoChat into the interface with online connectivity.
The stage itself in Brawl is on top of a bar that is located on the top screen of the DS (even though the one writing the message draws on the bottom screen) and tells the user who is joining their chat room. Initially, there were four chat rooms (A, B, C, D) that could each hold up to 16 people. In Brawl, the bar displays the names of the characters in the fight, as if they were joining the room, though it is always shown as room [A].
- If a drawing with two walls appears while Gray Fox is in between them (e.g. Blocks or Spears), he will be stuck in his run animation backwards & forwards and is unable to escape until he disappears.
- If Helirin is summoned and rotates near the floor of the stage, characters can be pushed through & below the stage if they walk towards Helirin as it pushes down on them.
- On rare occasions, Saki Amamiya or Knuckle Joe can become frozen if jumping on the edge of the stage; they will not disappear and no more Assist Trophies will spawn for the rest of the match.
- It is possible for Mr. Game & Watch to get into the springs by doing his d-air twice very quickly.
- PictoChat, PictoChat 2, and its signature music are the sole things in the entire series that are categorised as part of the Nintendo DS universe. Its logo is the symbol of the DS Lite.
- This stage is the only one in Brawl in which every song in the My Music selection is from a different game. This is due to PictoChat not featuring music.
- This stage is also the only default stage in Brawl to not have any events take place on it.
- If Kirby uses Stone on one of the springs, he will turn back into regular form before bouncing.
- A Hothead will fall off the edge, despite the shape of the stage. This is because the stage cannot really be jumped under, and the area under the stage isn't really space.
- This is the third stage to be based off a handheld console made by Nintendo. The other two the Flat Zone and Flat Zone 2.
- If a stock match is selected on this stage with three-four players, a "jingle" is heard once a Player/CPU loses their final life. If someone enters or leaves the Chat Room in the PictoChat software for the DS, the same bell will also ring.
|Miscellaneous first-party universes|
|Character||R.O.B. (Brawl · 3DS/Wii U · Ultimate)|
|Side Characters||Assist Trophies||Arcade Bunny · Barbara · Color TV-Game 15 · Devil · Dillon · Dr. Kawashima · Dr. Wright · Excitebike · Helirin · Infantry and Tanks · Isaac · Jill · Nikki · Nintendog · Ray MK III · Prince of Sablé · Saki Amamiya · Sheriff · Starfy · Sukapon · Takamaru · Vince · Yuri Kozukata|
|Mii Fighter Costumes||Arcade Bunny · Barbara · Chibi-Robo · Isaac · Lip · Ray MK III · Saki Amamiya · Takamaru · Toy-Con Robot · Vince|
|Stages||PictoChat · Hanenbow · Balloon Fight · Living Room · PictoChat 2 · Pilotwings · Wrecking Crew|
|Items||Flipper · Lip's Stick · Rocket Belt · Steel Diver · Super Scope · Unira|
|Music||List||List of Music (Other)|
|Songs||"Balloon Fight Medley" · "Nintendo Land Medley" · "PictoChat"|
|Collectibles||Trophies||Melee Trophies · Brawl Trophies · 3DS Trophies · Wii U Trophies|
|Stickers||List of Stickers (Other)|
|Spirits||List of spirits (Others)|
|Related universes||R.O.B. · Balloon Fight · Electroplankton · Nintendo DS · Nintendogs · Pilotwings · Wrecking Crew · List of minor universes|