Past Stages and Melee Stages are special designations given to stages returning from previous installments in the Super Smash Bros. series.
In Melee, three Past Stages were available. They are replicas of their Super Smash Bros. counterparts, complete with music and backgrounds. All of these stages must be unlocked, unlike in the original game. The stages also seem to be slightly larger in size than they were in the original game.
From Super Smash Bros.
In Brawl, "Past Stages" has been renamed Melee Stages. These stages now utilize the functions of My Music, like most stages in Brawl. Unlike the Past Stages of Melee, some Melee Stages have had minor edits (which will be listed below).
- Big Blue (floating platforms and other airborne items except bumpers don't fly away with the stage)
- Brinstar (The acid is possibly stronger due to characters being floatier)
- Corneria (New sound effects for the flying Arwings and Wolfens)
- Green Greens (Bomb blocks have much more knockback)
- Jungle Japes (characters can now swim in the river, but it will still carry them off-screen)
- Pokémon Stadium (the fireworks in the background look different, the screen is updated to display names of newcomers, and the windmill's platforms in the water stage have changed and are no longer pass-through; a new sound effect from Pokemon Stadium 2 can be heard when the stage is changing)
- Rainbow Cruise (Floating items like Party Balls no longer fly offscreen)
- Temple (the edge near the lowest platform can no longer be grabbed)
- Onett (the warning sign when a car is approaching is much smaller and can hardly be seen, the right edge of the roof on the building on the left can not be grabbed, the hospital in the background has had its red cross removed, the blue house's roof has a small area on the sides where players cannot jump over, the cars are also MUCH weaker and cannot KO even if you are at 999% damage)
- Yoshi's Island (No changes have been made besides the possibly reduced size)
- Battlefield and Final Destination also return, but are listed as Special Stages because they have significant aesthetic and minor size changes from the Battlefield and Final Destination stages from Melee.
It should also be noted that the size of these stages has been reduced, or possibly, the characters are larger also, some of the music sounds slighty different than they did in Melee.(Onett and Rainbow Cruiseto be specific)