Past Stages and Melee Stages are special designations given to stages returning from previous installments in the Super Smash Bros. series.
In Melee, three Past Stages were available. They are exact replicas of their Super Smash Bros. counterparts, complete with music and backgrounds. All of these stages must be unlocked, unlike in the original game.
From Super Smash Bros.
In Brawl, "Past Stages" has been renamed Melee Stages. These stages now utilize the functions of My Music, like most stages in Brawl. Unlike the Past Stages of Melee, some Melee Stages have had minor edits (which will be listed below).
- Big Blue (floating Pokémon and other airborne items except bumpers don't fly away with the stage)
- Brinstar (The acid is possibly stronger due to characters being floatier)
- Green Greens (Bomb blocks have much more knockback)
- Jungle Japes (characters can now swim in the river, but it will still carry them off-screen)
- Pokémon Stadium (the fireworks in the background look different, the screen is updated to display names of newcomers, and the properties of the windmill in the water stage have changed)
- Rainbow Cruise (Floating items like Party Balls no longer fly offscreen)
- Onett (the warning sign when a car is approaching is much smaller)
- Yoshi's Island