- This article is about Pac-Man's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. For other uses, see Pac-Man.
|“||This fighter appears in both his classic form and his form with hands and legs. He has many unique special moves, such as using a trampoline or a fire hydrant. For his Final Smash, he grows into a giant Super PAC-MAN, chomping and launching his opponents!||”|
|—Description from the Super Smash Blog.|
Pac-Man (stylized as PAC-MAN in-game) is a veteran fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, first playable in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. He was confirmed during Nintendo's E3 2018 presentation.
When unlocked, he is fought at Pac-Land.
- Low startup and ending lag on various attacks, such as Dash Attack and Forward Aerial.
- Great poking attacks, useful for interrupting enemies, making him unpredictable.
- Quite agile on both air and ground.
- Bonus Fruit can make his ranged approaches unpredictable.
- Fire Hydrant is a great trap-move, constantly pushing enemies, also being very effective for edge-guarding. Pac-Man can also attack the Hydrant, launching it at his opponents. The water can also change the properties of his bonus fruit.
- Versatile recovery.
- Side Special has stun armor.
- Capable of crawling and wall jumping.
- All Ghosts that appear in his Smash Attacks count as disjointed hitboxes.
- Many assorted kill options, such as Melon, Key, Back Aerial, and Down Aerial.
- Most of his aerials make good out of shield options, along with helping escape combos.
- Enemies can attack Fire Hydrant and launch it back at Pac-Man, causing damage to him.
- Enemies can grab his Bonus Fruits and use them against him.
- All Smash attacks have considerable high startup lag.
- His Final Smash is relatively easy to dodge, unless in a group.
- His Side Special can be stopped by hitting the power pellet before Pac Man can eat it.
Pac-Man is a great character who can function as a zoner and a rushdown fighter depending on your playstyle. With his combination of Bonus Fruit and Hydrant, he can make many complicated combos and setups. He is easily one of the most fun characters to play while simultaneously being very complicated.
Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- New up tilt.
Grabs and Throws
- Pac-Man can now grab opponents before the grab fully extends.
- His Up Special is a bit slower, which makes it not as good as an out of shield move.
- His Final Smash has been altered to now make Pac-Man loop around the entire stage, rather than the player controlling him.
- Neutral Attack: Lunge forward to deliver a double hit, then flip back and knock away foes.
- Forward Tilt: Large boot kick with decent reach that can be angled - good against air opponents and those hanging from a ledge. Also good to use when in a pickle.
- Up Tilt: Giant fist strike upward. Launches foes. Can be spammed, but the hitbox isn't that large.
- Down Tilt: 2-D Pac-Man form that chomps feet, knocking away foes. Not very useful outside of perhaps two framing.
- Dash Attack: 2-D Pac-Man form that chomp attacks, then launches foes into the air. This move has almost no endlag, so it can be followed up with another move.
- Forward Smash: Blinky is summoned and launches foes away. The strongest of the three attacks.
- Up Smash: Inky summoned above Pac-Man, launching enemies to the sky. For foes directly in front of Pac-Man, knocks them into Inky. Good KO option, but harder to land than the others.
- Down Smash: Pinky and Clyde summoned in front and back, clearing away foes. Best when in the midst of crowded battles.
- Floor Attack (Front):
- Floor Attack (Back):
- Floor Attack (Trip):
- Ledge Attack: Climbs and does a sweeping kick before getting up.
- Neutral aerial: 2-D Pac-Man chomps in a circular pattern, knocking foes up. Damage is front-loaded.
- Forward aerial: Spinning roundhouse kick, knocks away foes. Very fast with little lag.
- Back aerial: Double leg strike, best used with back facing ledges to deal with foes trying to attack from behind or for knocking the hydrant away. This is the strongest aerial in his arsenal.
- Up aerial: Flip attack with both legs, striking both in front and behind.
- Down aerial: Multi-hit foot stomp, like Snake. Hits 3 times, with the last hit knocking enemies into the air and away. High landing lag, but high damage.
Grabs and Throws
- Pummel: Tractor beam. Slow startup and endlag, but has farther range than the average grab.
- Forward Throw: Standard forward throw.
- Back Throw: Swings the opponent around in a circle before throwing backwards. High power launch. This is the best throw if you need a KO.
- Up Throw: Launches foe overhead. This can be followed with up air at low percents.
- Down Throw: Turns into 2D pacman and chomps a few times before knocking the opponent at a low angle.
|Pac-Man's Special Moves|
|Standard Special||Bonus Fruit|
|Side Special||Power Pellet|
|Down Special||Fire Hydrant|
|Final Smash||Super Pac-Man|
- Up Taunt: Holds his hand out presenting one of many possible sprites.
- Down Taunt: Lays down looking up while two pixel fairies and pixel music notes spin around him.
- Side Taunt: Rehearses his movement from the arcade Pac-Man game.
- Appears in his 2D form, then jumping out into his 3D form.
- Winks and gives a thumbs-up while looking at the camera, much like his Smash 4 render.
- Tilts forward a bit while scratching his head.
- Travels in ball form before tripping over and raising his fist above his head.
- Chases a ghost in his 2D form and strikes a pose in his 3D form.
- Lands from above as a sign saying 7650 appears. He then gives a thumbs-up as a pixelated fairy comes from above.
In competitive play
Ever since the release of Ultimate, Pac-Man has seen a highly positive response thanks to buffs to his mobility, a faster Bonus Fruit cycle, and an improved grab, all of which improved his combo ability. As a result of the buffs, Pac-Man has seen strong results from players, most notably Sinji and Tea, ever since the early metagame. Tea in particular has recently seen increasing success, placing top 8 at several majors and supermajors and defeating several top players from around the world. As a result, Pac-Man has achieved a significantly stronger reception from the community compared to his Smash 4 days, with most people believing Pac-Man is either at the top of high-tier or in top-tier.
Classic Mode: Ageless Classic
Pac-Man fights classic characters who debuted on the Nintendo Entertainment System or appeared in an NES game at least once. These characters are listed in accordance to their original release date, similar to All Star-Mode in SSB4. Young Link substitutes for the Link of the original Legend of Zelda, whose artwork depicted him as younger than the modern Link. To go with the theme, Pac-Man faces Dracula as the final boss of his route as he was the oldest boss who debuted on the NES console, like many characters in his route, and is a supernatural foe similar to the Ghosts.
Role in World of Light
Although Pac-Man does not appear in the World of Light opening cutscene, he was vaporized and later imprisoned alongside the rest of the fighters (except Kirby) when Galeem unleashed his beams of light.
By taking Marth's route, the player can find Pac-Man near the mushroom area.
|Miscellaneous third-party universes|
|Assist Trophies||Akira Yuki · Bomberman · Rathalos · Shovel Knight|
|Mii Fighter Costumes||Akira Yuki · Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad · Arthur · Bomberman · Cuphead · Dante · Doom Slayer · Dragonborn · Felyne · Gil · Goemon · Iori Yagami · Jacky Bryant · Lloyd Irving · Monster Hunter · Nakoruru · Rabbids · Ryo Sakazaki · Sans · Shantae · Travis Touchdown · Vault Boy|
|Background characters||Athena Asamiya · Chang Koehan & Choi Bounge · Goro Daimon · Iori Yagami · King · Kyo Kusanagi · Ralf Jones & Clark Still · Ryo Sakazaki · Yuri Sakazaki|
|Enemies||Pooka · Bacura|
|Items||Boss Galaga · Special Flag|
|Music||Lists||List of Music (Namco games) · List of Music (SNK games) · List of Music (Monster Hunter / Undertale / Cuphead / Shantae)|
|Songs||"MEGALOVANIA" · "Psycho Soldier Theme"|
|Collectibles||Trophies||3DS Trophies · Wii U Trophies|
|Spirits||List of spirits (Others)|
|Universe||List of minor universes|