- This article is about Captain Olimar's appearance in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. For other uses, see Captain Olimar and Pikmin (species). For the article on the character who is one of Olimar's alternate costumes, see Alph.
Pikmin & Olimar (ピクミン＆オリマー Pikumin ando Orimā?), also known simply as Olimar, is a playable character from the Pikmin series. He was announced to return to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U on July 12th, 2013 via the official website. Four of Olimar's alternate costumes change his appearance to Alph, the protagonist of Pikmin 3. Much like in Brawl, Olimar's moveset is entirely reliant on his Pikmin, each with unique properties to aid him in battle
He currently ranks 21st on the tier list, a significant drop from his top tier placement from 3rd in Brawl. Much like in the previous game, Olimar's Pikmin possess impressive damage racking and KO potential, as Olimar can use them to inflict direct or indirect attacks. Olimar also has a potent grab game due to being disjointed and resulting in powerful throws. On the downside, much of Olimar's camping ability was nerfed, his Pikmin are considerably weaker, both in hit points and damage, and have a more flawed AI. These issues are also compounded with his overall slow mobility and over-reliance on Pikmin.
- 1 Attributes
- 2 Summary
- 3 Differences from Brawl
- 4 Moveset
- 5 In competitive play
- 6 Other features
- 7 Trophy Description
- 8 Costume Gallery
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Trivia
- 11 External links
- Decent grab range.
- Great recovery.
- Pikmin can be thrown to damage opponents directly or apply a small bleed on them.
- Small size which allows to dodge some projectiles easier.
- Has five different types of Pikmin which give different strengths and bonuses.
- Extremely lightweight, meaning that Olimar can die easily from knockback.
- Needs his Pikmin to use most of his moveset. Each pikmin also affects Olimar's strength and range.
- Micromanaging is needed to select the desired Pikmin as the lead follower.
- Winged Pikmin's distance varies greatly depending on what Pikmin are following Olimar. Three purple pikmin will greatly reduce his ability to recover.
- Pikmin can be killed, forcing Olimar to call for more.
Olimar is a Turtle and Half-Grappler type of character, possessing strong camping potential as well as a powerful grab game.
Despite being a lightweight, he has slow mobility, and must compensate this with his Pikmin, which can both be served as characters or as projectiles.
Olimar's Pikmin are notable for having quick damage-racking attacks, as well as granting Olimar a large disjointed grab range. The Pikmin are also known for having unique effects and properties, which can affect Olimar's smash attacks, grabs, and attack power.
Olimar's Special Moves are extremely versatile options. Pikmin Throw allows Olimar to launch Pikmin to rack damage from afar or hinder approaches. Pikmin Order helps Olimar reorganize Pikmin for the proper situation and grants launch resistance. Finally, Winged Pikmin gives Olimar flexible and maneuverable recovery options, making him difficult to KO.
However, Olimar is not without flaws. He can easily be punished by fast characters such as Sheik and Captain Falcon. His Pikmin can also be easily be killed in two hits, requiring Olimar to space himself and play safely. He has very poor air mobility, which can make it easy for opponents to juggle and KO. Most importantly, should Olimar have no Pikmin readily available, many of his attacks will do nothing, requiring him to maintain the presence of one Pikmin.
Overall, players must be cautious and strategic with the Pikmin's abilities. However, should they overcome the high learning curve, Olimar becomes a very rewarding character, much like in Brawl.
Differences from Brawl
Olimar received a mix of buffs and nerfs in the transition from Brawl. The most notable buff was his recovery, courtesy of Winged Pikmin being a significantly better option than Pikmin Chain. His Smash Attacks when using Purple Pikmin are significantly stronger. However, much of Olimar's camping ability was weakened with the reduction of the number of Pikmin that can be present as well as their overall weakness. In addition, though the creation of a set cycle makes it possible for all Pikmin to appear, it removes Olimar's versatility of having two of the same Pikmin.
Aesthetically, Olimar's appearance is a combination of his Brawl and Pikmin 3 appearance. His spacesuit features more details, such as a whistle, or feature more vibrant colors. The Pikmin have more proportions that are based off of Pikmin 3.
- Slightly lighter and smaller than in Brawl.
- Pikmin are slightly larger than in Brawl.
- Olimar can only have 3 Pikmin at time rather than 6 as it was in Brawl.
- All non White Pikmin have lower hit points.
- White Pikmin have higher hit points.
- The active Pikmin on the line now have a visual indicator pointer with the player color over its head, to indicate which Pikmin will be used next.
- All Smash Attacks using White Pikmin are more powerful in both damage and knockback.
- Red Pikmin deals less damage with all attacks.
- In the 3DS version, Pikmin will sometimes desynch with Olimar due their erratic AI, moving away from his reach when he moves too fast.
- Neutral Attack has a different animation, which is a two-hit punch attack, that causes much less damage than his old headbutt.
- Forward Tilt has a different animation, now being a punch similar to Wario's Forward Tilt. It is slightly slower than his old Forward Tilt, has less reach, but causes more knockback.
- Down Tilt causes more damage and knockback. Also, its sourspot (the antennae) now causes knockback, unlike in Brawl.
- Forward Smash has more range with all Pikmin, but causes slightly less damage and knockback. Additionally, Pikmin no longer fall off the stage when the attack is used at the edge of the stage.
- Up Smash has more startup and much more ending lag.
- Up Smash has slightly less vertical range with all Pikmin.
- Forward, Back and Down Aerials are faster and with less ending and landing lag.
- Up Aerial is now a single hit and causes higher knockback. However, it causes much less damage.
- Down Aerial's sweetspot is harder to land a Meteor Smash, and also causes less damage.
Grabs and Throws
- Up Throw is causes less knockback, most notably with Purple Pikmin.
- Pikmin Pluck has slightly higher ending lag. Olimar can only pluck 3 at time, and they are also now plucked in a specific order (Red, Yellow, Blue, White, Purple) rather than being random. Because of that, the type of terrain no longer affects which Pikmin will be plucked.
- Pikmin Throw sends Pikmins much farther and faster. Additionally, when throw at items, Pikmin will carry them back to Olimar (only in the WiiU version).
- New Up Special, Winged Pikmin, now replaces his old one, Pikmin Chain. While this makes Olimar lose his ability to use Tether Recovery, it gives him more vertical recovery and control.
- However, Winged Pikmin speed, duration and flying height is directly affected by the number of Pikmin Olimar has with him, meaning that the more Pikmin, the less Winged Pikmin will fly.
- Pikmin Order gives Olimar fewer super armor frames.
- End of Day now causes a massive explosion with a much larger hitbox when the ship lands. However, the Bulborbs and other creatures cause much less damage when the ship is ascending.
- Jab: Punches twice. (6%)
- Forward tilt: Charges up and punches forward. (11%)
- Up tilt: Spins around, dealing multiple damage. (7%)
- Down tilt: Headbutts forward once. (6%)
- Side smash: Tosses one Pikmin forward. (16% - 24%)
- Up smash: Tosses one Pikmin upwards. (10% - 21%)
- Down smash: Pushes two Pikmin on each side. (11% - 18%)
To be added
To be added
Grabs and Throws
To be added
|Olimar's Special Moves|
|Standard Special||Pikmin Pluck|
|Side Special||Pikmin Throw|
|Up Special||Pikmin Chain||Winged Pikmin|
|Down Special||Pikmin Order|
|Final Smash||End of Day|
|Olimar's Custom Special Moves|
|Custom 1||Custom 2|
|Standard Special||Hardy Pikmin Pluck||Explosive Pluck|
|Side Special||Sticky Pikmin Throw||Tackle Pikmin Throw|
|Up Special||Winged Pikmin Jump||Mighty Winged Pikmin|
|Down Special||Order Tackle||Dizzy Whistle|
Up: Jumps joyfully, similar to his animation in his games when he gains a new part for the Dolphin.
Side: Lays down on the ground as if he were asleep, then rolls over and gets up; likely based on the "nap" ability in Pikmin to return to the ship quickly.
Down: Plants feet and spins his hips twice.
In competitive play
To be added
To be added
A veteran spaceship pilot for Hocotate Freight, Captain Olimar partners with Pikmin in Smash Bros. to help him in battle. Olimar is much stronger when he's got Pikmin with him, so keep them plucked and good to go. Pikmin abilities are based on their color--learn what each is best at!
- NGC - Pikmin (12/2001)
- NGC - Pikmin 2 (08/2004)
Pikmin aren't just good for attacking, you know. For example, when you throw them, they can pick up items on their way back. Only items that aren't very heavy, though! Also, if there's someone charging or shooting at you, a well-timed Pikmin throw can stop them in their tracks!
Alph is a young explorer who crashed on the planet PNF-404. As the engineer of the S.S. Drake, he feels responsible for finding the missing crew and the ship after the crash. Walking up in a pond, Alph quickly encounters a tiny creature--it's a Pikmin!
- The only new Pikmin revealed are the Winged Pikmin, however, they are only used for Olimar's Up Special Move.
- The Rock Pikmin are now the only type of Pikmin that are not used in Olimar's moveset.
- Olimar was the first character revealed on the Smash Bros. website after E3 2013, the second being Luigi.
- It is possible that Alph was planned to be a full Olimar clone as there is leftover data of Rock Pikmin, it's possible that Alph was going to use it for his attacks, Rock Pikmin would have high attack power but low range.
|Characters||Captain Olimar / Alph & Pikmin (Brawl · 3DS/Wii U · Ultimate)|
|Side Characters||Assist Trophy||Burrowing Snagret|
|Background characters||Red Bulborb · Pikmin|
|Stage Hazard||Red Bulborb · Peckish Aristocrab|
|Enemies||Red Bulborb · Iridescent Glint Beetle|
|Stages||Distant Planet · Garden of Hope|
|Item||Pellet · Hocotate Bomb|
|Music||List of Music (Pikmin series)|
|Collectibles||Trophies||Brawl Trophies · 3DS Trophies · Wii U Trophies|
|Stickers||List of Stickers (Pikmin series)|
|Spirits||List of spirits (Pikmin series)|