New Pork City is a stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, hailing from the game MOTHER 3. It is a massive stage, approximately the size of the Temple stage in both Super Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl. It is comprised of dozens of buildings, giving the impression of a large city. However, the battle area consists of a series of platforms that seem to have no connection to the city itself.
Like the Temple stage, this stage is banned in many tournaments for being too large as well as the Ultimate Chimera hazard.
The Ultimate Chimera is a hazard in New Pork City. Appearing randomly in any part of the stage, it walks slowly and its bite attack results in a One-hit KO and deals 100% if you are by the edge of its mouth, and 200% if you get trapped inside. It is possible to tech the attack.
- It is possible to get rid of the Ultimate Chimera when it is situated on the breakable platform on the bottom of the stage by breaking the platform. This can be done safely from a distance with the Motion-Sensor Bomb, C4, etc.
- It is possible to air dodge through the Chimera.
- When the Chimera appears the field becomes darker (like when a Smash Ball has been broken), and it will also make a *ching* sound--the same sound heard when it would notice Lucas in MOTHER 3.
- It is also possible to survive the Chimera's bite after using a Metal Box. If bitten, a character will still suffer knockback and damage, although both will be significantly reduced. However, the Metal state will be lost after the character is bitten.
- For some reason, when Giga Bowser walks over to the Ultimate Chimera, the Chimera will not even try to bite; in fact it will completely ignore Giga Bowser.
- The sound effect used for its roar in Mother 3 can be heard after defeating Porky Minch in Subspace Emissary.
- It actually is possible to walk into Ultimate Chimera and not get hit. If your character is on a platform, and Chimera appears with you, he won't attack the player until he/she drops off the platform.
- Unlike in Mother 3, the Ultimate Chimera cannot be turned off.
- In MOTHER 3, the Ultimate Chimera doesn't wander around the city, it was always found indoors.
In MOTHER 3
In MOTHER 3, The Ultimate Chimera is first seen in the Chimera Factory (in chapter 7) then appears in the Empire Porky Building in New Pork City, inside a bathroom. (in Chapter 8) When it sees or is near Lucas's party, it will pursue them. Engaging it in battle is futile; as soon as the Ultimate Chimera catches up with Lucas's party, it will open its cavernous mouth wide and chomp them, resulting in a Game Over without even commencing an actual "battle." The Ultimate Chimera DOES have an "off" button on his back, but after a few minutes, the chick that rests on its head will jump on the button and turn it back on in MOTHER 3, and the button is impossible to press in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Songs in My Music
- Porky's Theme
- Unfounded Revenge / Smashing Song of Praise
- Mother 3 Love Theme
- You Call This a Utopia?!
- Humoresque of a Little Dog
Songs in bold must be unlocked
New Pork City was a location in Mother 3. Porky ruled this city and gathered various people from different timelines to live in it, and eventually managed to get all of the Nowhere Islanders to move here too, sometimes by force. Porky gathered various scientists from different timelines to work in a laboratory called the Chimera Lab, which is not located in New Pork City itself. He gave orders to create creatures called Chimeras, which were hybrids of multiple different animals or plants, or mechanized versions of animals. The Ultimate Chimera was one of these, and, fitting the name, was the most powerful one, and was feared even by its creators. The Ultimate Chimera was eventually moved here as well, and was discovered by Lucas and company in the bathrooms of the Empire Porky Building, which is why the Ultimate Chimera appears as a stage hazard here. The background contains multiple sprites from Mother 3. Notably, the Empire Porky Building, a 100 story building, can be seen in the background, and it expands all the way up to the upper boundry line. Sprites of some of the Mother 3 characters can also be seen. However, the actual arrangement of platforms used here (disregarding the limousine) was never a part of the city in MOTHER 3, although their design is based on the parking lot.
- In the background on the right side of the stage you can see the Porky Statue.
- The flying limo acts as a platform, but only when it appears at the bottom of the screen.
- The buildings in the background are not rendered in 3D. Instead, they are the original 2D sprites from MOTHER 3. The Super Smash Bros. DOJO!! describes them as being like billboards.
- On the American version, the stage selection screen refers to the stage as hailing from EarthBound, although it is not from said game. It is probable that if MOTHER 3 had been released outside of Japan and been given an official logo, then it probably would have been used to refer to the game from which the stage hails. It is also probable that it was referring to the series as a whole, which also makes sense considering the possibility that it might have been translated as "EarthBound 2."
- In MOTHER 3, The Empire Pork Building has 100 floors, this fact is stretched in Brawl as the height of the building is unspecifyingly tall and in fact still goes off the top of the screen when Olimar uses End of Day.
- When Pokemon Trainer is selected, the trainer stands on the streets in the background.
- The Pigmask's logo appears stamped on all the platforms.