|“||Ness has a variety of moves, from long-range attacks using psychic powers known as "PSI," to short-range attacks with his bat and yo-yo. Ness can also unleash PK Thunder, a guided attack that can launch him like a rocket or help him recover!||”|
|—Description from the Super Smash Blog.|
For his unlocking battle, Ness is fought at Onett.
- 1 Attributes
- 2 Summary
- 3 Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- 4 Moveset
- 5 In competitive play
- 6 In Spirit Battles
- 7 Role in World of Light
- 8 Palette Swap
- 9 Gallery
- 10 External links
- 11 Trivia
- Multiple projectiles allow him to maintain pressure from a distance.
- PSI Magnet allows him to heal himself when he absorbs projectiles. Also, PSI Magnet has a hitbox.
- Grabs are capable of KOing at low percentages.
- Moves combo well into each other.
- Very good aerial game due high range, ease of juggling, edgeguarding and killing.
- Small hurtboxes make him difficult to hit.
- PK Fire has a large damage buildup and traps enemies for its full duration, making it a good combo starter.
- PK Thunder is an unreliable recovery move.
- Fast projectiles are difficult to absorb.
- Weak ground game due to low range and lag on some moves.
- Double jump is slower than average and easier to interrupt.
- His PK Thunder makes him have to charge energy to use it, making him vulnerable.
Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- Ness' Final Smash, PK Starstorm, now features Paula and Poo.
- Ness' eyes bulge and grow more circular when he is hit or frozen.
- Ness' up-air has been changed to a multi-hit attack.
Grabs and Throws
- Ness' grab and pummel now make use of his PSI.
- Ness' down throw now has more circular effects to it to replicate the animations of PSI attacks in the Earthbound games.
- PK Flash moves faster and doesn't put Ness into a helpless state when used in the air.
- PK Thunder has hexagonal effects around it to make it more visible. It is also a reference to the animations of PSI attacks in EarthBound.
- Moreover, a small arrow will appear to point Ness' launching direction when PK Thunder is close to him.
- Neutral Attack: Ness throws a punch, then a second punch, and then finishes with a kick.
- Forward Tilt: Ness does a wheel kick. Can be angled up and down.
- Up Tilt: Ness thrusts upwards with his hands, some PSI energy appearing from his fingertips.
- Down Tilt: Ness kicks low to the ground.
- Dash Attack: Ness thrusts his hands forwards and releases multiple sparks of PSI energy.
- Forward Smash (Batter Up!): Ness swings his signature baseball bat forwards. Can reflect projectiles.
- Up Smash (Around the World): Ness does an "Around the World" trick with his yo-yo, hitting in front of himself and then overhead, ending behind him.
- Down Smash: Ness does a "Walk the Cat" trick with his yo-yo, hitting low to the ground behind him and then in front of himself. The yo-yo can hit enemies even while the move is charging.
- Floor Attack (Front):
- Floor Attack (Back):
- Floor Attack (Trip):
- Ledge Attack:
- Neutral aerial: Ness spins around with his outstretched arms emitting PSI, similar to Zelda's Neutral Aerial.
- Forward aerial: Ness thrusts both hands forwards and releases multiple shocks of PSI energy.
- Back aerial: Ness does a double kick.
- Up aerial: Ness waves his hand overhead and emits PSI-Energy from his index finger, hitting 5 times.
- Down aerial: Ness stomps downwards with one foot, PSI energy bursting from the tip of his foot.
Grabs and Throws
- Pummel: Ness pummels his opponent with PSI-Energy.
- Forward Throw: Ness uses psychic powers to spin the opponent around before hurling them forward.
- Back Throw (Reverse PK Throw): Ness uses telekinesis to flip the opponent over him and then hurl them backwards.
- Up Throw: Ness spins opponent above his head with PSI-Energy, then throws them upwards.
- Down Throw: Ness hurls opponents beneath him and blasts multiple bolts of fire into them.
|Ness's Special Moves|
|Standard Special||PK Fire||PK Flash|
|Side Special||—||PK Fire|
|Up Special||PK Thunder|
|Down Special||PSI Magnet|
|Final Smash||—||PK Starstorm|
- Up Taunt: Places his hands on his hips, turns towards the screen and nods, saying, "Ok!"
- Down Taunt: His PSI powers spark at his fingertips as he draws an 'S' shape in the air.
- Side Taunt: Poses with his baseball bat outstretched.
Appears on the screen completely charred, then shakes his head to get all the dust off and return to his normal appearance.
- Skips forward, then nods once.
- He looks to his sides wondering, then puts his hand on the back of his head and scratches.
- Swings his bat strongly, then points it forward.
In competitive play
To be added
In Spirit Battles
As the Main Opponent
As a Minion
Role in World of Light
Although Ness has been absent from the World of Light opening cutscene, he was vaporized and later imprisoned alongside the rest of the fighters (minus Kirby) when Galeem unleashed his beams of light.
Ness can be found in a pink cloud area reminiscent of Magicant, and to access him the player needs to defeat the Flying Man spirit.
- The strength of Ness' smash attack is also based on what part of the bat it hits, with the tip being the strongest. This trait is shared with the Home-Run Bat.
- Both Ness and Kirby share the same voice actor.