|“||Ness has a variety of moves, from long-range attacks using psychic powers known as "PSI," to short-range attacks with his bat and yo-yo. Ness can also unleash PK Thunder, a guided attack that can launch him like a rocket or help him recover!||”|
|—Description from the Super Smash Blog.|
For his unlocking battle, Ness is fought at Onett.
- 1 Attributes
- 2 Summary
- 3 Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- 4 Moveset
- 5 In competitive play
- 6 In Spirit Battles
- 7 Palette Swap
- 8 Gallery
- 9 External links
- 10 Trivia
- Multiple projectiles allow him to maintain pressure from a distance.
- PSI Magnet allows him to heal himself when he absorbs projectiles. Also, PSI Magnet has a hitbox.
- Grabs are capable of KOing at low percentages.
- Moves combo well into each other.
- Very good aerial game due high range, ease of juggling, edgeguarding and killing.
- Small hurtboxes make him difficult to hit.
- PK Fire has a large damage buildup and traps enemies for its full duration, making it a good combo starter.
- PK Thunder is an unreliable recovery move.
- Fast projectiles are difficult to absorb.
- Weak ground game due to low range and lag on some moves.
- Double jump is slower than average and easier to interrupt.
- His PK Thunder makes him have to charge energy to use it, making him vulnerable.
Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- Ness' Final Smash, PK Starstorm, now features Paula and Poo.
- Ness' eyes bulge and grow more circular when he is hit or frozen.
- Ness' up-air has been changed to a multi-hit attack.
Grabs and Throws
- Ness' grab and pummel now make use of his PSI.
- Ness' down throw now has more circular effects to it to replicate the animations of PSI attacks in the Earthbound games.
- PK Flash moves faster and doesn't put Ness into a helpless state when used in the air.
- PK Thunder has hexagonal effects around it to make it more visible. It is also a reference to the animations of PSI attacks in EarthBound.
- Moreover, a small arrow will appear to point Ness' launching direction when PK Thunder is close to him.
- Neutral Attack: Ness throws a punch, then a second punch, and then finishes with a kick.
- Forward Tilt: Ness does a side kick; can be angled up and down.
- Up Tilt: Ness thrusts upwards with his hands, some PSI energy appearing from his fingertips.
- Down Tilt: Ness kicks low to the ground.
- Dash Attack: Ness thrusts his hands forwards and releases multiple sparks of PSI energy.
- Forward Smash (Batter Up!): Ness swings his signature baseball bat forwards; will reflect projectiles.
- Up Smash (Around the World): Ness does an "Around the World" trick with his yo-yo, hitting in front of himself and then overhead, ending behind him.
- Down Smash: Ness does a "Walk the Cat" trick with his yo-yo, hitting low to the ground behind him and then in front of himself. The yo-yo can hit enemies even while the move is charging.
- Floor Attack (Front):
- Floor Attack (Back):
- Floor Attack (Trip):
- Ledge Attack:
- Neutral aerial: Ness spins around with his outstretched arms emitting PSI, similar to Zelda's Neutral Aerial.
- Forward aerial: Ness thrusts both hands forwards and releases multiple shocks of PSI energy.
- Back aerial: Ness kicks backwards with both legs.
- Up aerial: Ness waves his hand overhead and emits PSI-Energy from his index finger, hitting 5 times.
- Down aerial: Ness stomps downwards with one foot, PSI energy bursting from the tip of his foot.
Grabs and Throws
- Pummel: Ness pummels his opponent with PSI-Energy.
- Forward Throw: Ness uses psychic powers to spin the opponent around before hurling them forward.
- Back Throw (Reverse PK Throw): Ness uses telekinesis to flip the opponent over him and then hurl them backwards.
- Up Throw: Ness spins opponent above his head with PSI-Energy, then throws them upwards.
- Down Throw: Ness hurls opponents beneath him and blasts multiple bolts of fire into them.
|Ness's Special Moves|
|Standard Special||PK Fire||PK Flash|
|Side Special||—||PK Fire|
|Up Special||PK Thunder|
|Down Special||PSI Magnet|
|Final Smash||—||PK Starstorm|
- Up Taunt: Places his hands on his hips, turns towards the screen and nods, saying, "Ok!"
- Down Taunt: His PSI powers spark at his fingertips as he draws an 'S' shape in the air.
- Side Taunt: Poses with his baseball bat outstretched.
Appears on the screen completely charred, then shakes his head to get all the dust off and return to his normal appearance.
- Skips forward, then nods once.
- He looks to his sides wondering, then puts his hand on the back of his head and scratches.
- Swings his bat strongly, then points it forward.
In competitive play
To be added
In Spirit Battles
As the Main Opponent
As a Minion
- The strength of Ness' smash attack is also based on what part of the bat it hits, with the tip being the strongest. This trait is shared with the Home-Run Bat.
- Both Ness and Kirby share the same voice actor.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.