- This article is about the stage debuting in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. For the Super Smash Bros. Melee stage, see Mute City (SSBM).
Mute City (ミュートシティ Myūto Shiti?) is a stage introduced in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS as an unlockable. It returned in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate under a new name, Mute City SNES. The stage is based on the level Mute City from the SNES version of F-Zero rather than the Mute City used in Melee which came from the Nintendo 64 game F-Zero X.
The stage consists of a racer below acting as a platform, flanked by two floating platforms at slightly different elevations swaying to and fro above it. The racer perpetually drives laps of the original Mute City track, occasionally getting sideswiped by other racers, which act as additional platforms. When two racers are onscreen, one will eventually be driven off the track and therefore off past the blast line, as indicated by the word "CHECK" pointing to the racer about to be shoved off. If a racer drives over the track boundaries, any player standing on it will suffer moderate damage and knockback. In addition, the main racer will occasionally drive over a ramp and be popped into the air, during which its sides and bottom will become active hitboxes until it lands back on the track. Also, the racer will race through the pit stop every other lap, indicated by a beam of light repairing the vehicle. During this short period, the beam's source acts as a barrier that will bounce launched players headed in its direction back.
Throughout the stage, players must take caution to avoid touching the road, which will cause heavy damage and vertical knockback, similarly to a couple past F-Zero themed stages in the series. Additionally there is still a bottom blast line below the road that players can be KO'd through, if a player falling downward misses the track boundary.
Mute City first appeared in F-Zero and has appeared in almost every F-Zero game, only excluding F-Zero: Maximum Velocity. This version is based upon the first version of Mute City featured in F-Zero. The Blue Falcon and other vehicles also appear on this stage and are directly based on their 2D sprite in F-Zero. Like Port Town Aero Dive, the stage is taken directly from its source game. The stage layout is somewhat similar to Big Blue, in that the platform continuously travels throughout the track, occasionally following one or more F-Zero racers.
- Mute City
- F-Zero is an interstellar race spread over nine different planets. The Blue Falcon sprints through Mute City, the first circuit in the Knight League. Fighters must do battle as they move between the various racing machines, being careful not to get knocked off and left behind in this high-speed stage.
- If a character like Rosalina and Luma uses a move that is charged, but can't be saved for later use (Luma shot, green missile, etc.), the person can be on the road without taking damage or knockback.
- This stage received a name change in Ultimate for disambiguation, but the stage whose name it shares, Mute City, does not itself appear in Ultimate.
- In Ultimate, if a song directly from the original F-Zero is playing on this stage, it will only begin playing after the pre-match timer is finished, just like in a standard F-Zero race. This also applies to Port Town Aero Dive.
- In Ultimate, the following Assist Trophies cannot appear on this stage: Hammer Bro, Chain Chomp, Waluigi, Metroid, Nightmare, Knuckle Joe, Chef Kawasaki, Andross, Samurai Goroh, Burrowing Snagret, Kapp'n, Color TV-Game 15, Devil, Takamaru, Sablé Prince, Yuri Kozukata, Squid Sisters, Ghosts, Shadow the Hedgehog and Rathalos. Additionally, the following Poké Ball Pokémon cannot be summoned: Eevee, Gardevoir, Abomasnow, Palkia, Giratina, Zoroark, Genesect, Lunala and Marshadow.
|Characters||Captain Falcon (64 · Melee · Brawl · 3DS/Wii U · Ultimate)|
|Side Characters||Assist Trophy||Samurai Goroh|
|Mii Fighter Costume||Captain Falcon|
|Stage Hazards||F-Zero Racers|
|Miscellaneous||Blue Falcon · Falcon Flyer|
|Stages||Mute City · Big Blue · Port Town Aero Dive · Mute City SNES|
F-Zero Grand Prix
|Music||List of Music (F-Zero series)|
|Collectibles||Trophies||Melee Trophies · Brawl Trophies · 3DS Trophies · Wii U Trophies|
|Stickers||List of Stickers (F-Zero series)|
|Spirits||List of spirits (F-Zero series)|