The Archives, found in the Data submenu, allows players to view two videos:
- How to Play: A small instructional video that is to teach players how to play Melee.
- Special Movie: An almost-fifteen minute long video, showing off much of the gameplay in Melee; it features a role-call of the starting fifteen characters, and it also shows multiple aspects of the game, such as various items and trophies, and how the single-player mode works.
The Archives menu is only available in the NTSC versions of Melee. The PAL versions remove the menu, as well as the Special Movie; in the Data menu, its place is taken by a dedicated menu selection for the How to Play video.
This area, found in the Data sub-menu as well, allows a player to watch a video from the following options:
- Subspace Emissary: This option is a submenu containing all the unlocked cutscenes from The Subspace Emissary.
- How to Play: A short video on how to play Brawl.
- E3 2006: The trailer for Brawl shown at E3 2006.
- Game Intro: An overall intro to the game unveiled in October 2007.
- Snake Joins the Brawl: The trailer which revealed more information about Solid Snake's inclusion in Brawl.
- Sonic Joins the Brawl: The trailer which announced Sonic the Hedgehog's inclusion in Brawl.
The fourth game features "introduction" clips for various characters, relating to an Adventure Mode equivalent. All of them were initially released online by Nintendo, either individually or on a Nintendo Direct. Here is a list of known videos that are available in the game:
- How to Play
- Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U - The announcement trailer for SSB4, as well as Villager's announcement.
- Mega Man Joins the Battle! - The announcement trailer for Mega Man that was originally shown right after the previous trailer.
- Wii Fit Trainer Joins the Battle! - Wii Fit Trainer's announcement trailer, which was released on the day of SSB4'S announcement.
- Comet Observatory - Rosalina's announcement trailer, shown in a general Nintendo Direct in December 2013.
- Champion of the Ring - Little Mac's debut trailer, shown in a general Nintendo Direct in February 2014.
- Challenger from the Shadows - Greninja's announcement, shown at the end of the April SSB4 Nintendo Direct. Also highlighted Charizard as now a stand-alone character.
- Goddess of Light - The video that revealed Palutena as a playable character, also teasing Dark Pit. It was shown after Nintendo's E3 2014 Direct.
- Red, Blue, Yellow - Pac-Man's introduction video. It was shown at E3 2014 at the Smash Bros. Roundtable Discussion.
- By Book, Blade, and Crest of Flame - The trailer that confirmed newcomers Lucina and Robin, as well as the return of veteran Captain Falcon. Also confirmed Chrom's existence in the game, as a part of Robin's Final Smash.
- Looks Like We Don't Have a Choice!/Now It's Shulk Time! (game only) - Shulk's confirmation trailer. Also hinted at Xenoblade character Metal Face's appearance, which would be confirmed as a stage boss in Gaur Plain in the Wii U version.
- The Future King /The Future of Evil - Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings' reveal trailer, shown at the end of the Wii U version-based Direct in October 2014.
- One Dog, One Bird, One NES Zapper /An Unlikely Team - Duck Hunt's reveal trailer, shown during a general Nintendo Direct in November 2014. This movie is not available initially and it's unlocked along with Duck Hunt.
Additionally, the short fighter-specific videos that are shown after one beats Classic Mode or All-Star Mode in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U can be re-watched after one completes the mode with a character.