Meta Ridley first appeared in Metroid Prime. After being badly wounded by Samus in Metroid, Ridley was revived by the Space Pirates using cybernetic technology. He was equipped with additional weapons, including a mouth beam, missiles and energy bombs. Samus first sees him while trying to escape the Frigate Orpheon. She quickly pursues him in her ship to the world of Tallon IV, but loses him. She briefly sees him in the Phendrana Drifts, but their final confrontation comes when Samus attempts to access the Impact Crater. Meta Ridley's weak points are his mouth and chest. Eventually, Meta Ridley's wings burn, so he battles Samus on the ground, and is still lethally fast. Despite this, Samus defeats him.
Meta Ridley returns in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. When the Space Pirates attack Norion, Samus sees Ridley wipe out several Galactic Federation Marines. He briefly harasses her as she goes through an exposed rail while in Morph Ball form. When she goes to activate a reactor, Meta Ridley pounces her and they begin a free fall battle down the reactor shaft. Again, Meta Ridley is defeated and Samus is saved at the last minute by fellow bounty hunter Rundas. Ridley, however, still survives. When Samus goes to the Pirate Homeworld to destroy the Leviathan Seed, a large living meteor that corrupts planets with Phazon, she finds that Ridley is guarding the core. He is now enhanced by Phazon and appears as Omega Ridley. Still, he is defeated and returns to his organic form in Super Metroid.
Role in the Subspace Emissary
In one room, the player has to unlock the door by finding the keys to open the locked door that's guarding the next room. To open the door, you will need a red ruby, a blue diamond, and a green emerald. There's rubies in a carved Meta Ridley head, blue diamonds in a pearl and diamond fountain, and green emeralds in a treasure chest of gold, silver, and jewels inside. When you have all the jewels with you, you can unlock the door and go to the next room when the jewels are in the proper holes (the ruby in the red hole, the blue diamond in the blue hole, and the green emerald in the green hole). After R.O.B., Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Samus,and Captain Olimar make their way out of the doomed Bomb Factory flying away in the Falcon Flyer, they are attacked from behind by the resurrected Meta Ridley, who is out for revenge on Samus and Pikachu. As such, he serves as the seventh boss.
Meta Ridley's attacks can additionally send the Falcon Flyer reeling about. In this battle, he is attacking the ship as well and you have 2 minutes to beat him, similar to the battle in Metroid Prime 3. He has completely different moves from Ridley and you have to jump whenever he hits the ship or you could fall. He is later defeated when he is burnt by the Falcon Flyer's engines and the massive amounts of Subspace Bombs explode, covering the island in Subspace, taking everything in it, including the charred remains of Meta Ridley, into the Subspace. Tabuu, the leader of Subspace, revives Meta Ridley in The Great Maze to attack the heroes (oddly, both Ridley and Meta Ridley appear in The Great Maze, they might be clones), but is defeated like last time, presumably leaving him out of the picture for good.
Trophy Stands appear frequently due to the limited time, even on easy difficulties, especially if the character is equipped with a strong Trophy Stand producing Sticker.
Meta Ridley's Attacks
- Meta Ridley flies off the screen to the left, then attacks the Falcon Flyer, making it shake. Anyone standing on the Flyer will take damage. If a player is on the very left of the stage, there is a chance that Meta Ridley's attack will instantly KO them off the bottom blast line. It's best to jump as Meta Ridley flies away to evade the attack.
- Meta Ridley roars, and then quickly swoops over the Falcon Flyer. Again, jumping proves the best defense.
- Meta Ridley flies off the screen to the left, then sweeps low with his tail.
- Meta Ridley flies off the screen to the left, roars, and then shoots multiple fireballs. The fireballs can be reflected easily, and characters with reflecting abilities can literally jump up to Meta Ridley's face and bounce several fireballs at him, inflicting heavy damage. Other characters will have to sidestep, air dodge, or hang off the edge of the stage to evade this attack.
- Meta Ridley grabs the back of the Falcon Flyer and tries to drag it down, while shooting large fireballs. A strong attack, such as a reflected fireball, will shake him off. The flames from the engine also do a little damage to him.
- Meta Ridley flies up off screen, then drops and lands on the Falcon Flyer, causing it to move off the bottom of the screen. The player must jump when he uses this or they will be KO'd at the bottom. Air dodging during the jump is also recommended, as Meta Ridley can occasionally KO via the top blast line when contact is made with him as he charges down.
- Meta Ridley flies from the left, then returns with his eyes glowing a fiery red. This signals that he is about to shoot a massive fireball with high KO potential. It will hit anyone on the front of the Flyer. This move is rarely used, but because of this, it can be thought of as a surprise attack.
The meta form of Ridley, revived using the Space Pirates' genetic engineering and cybernetic technologies. His thin chest plate--and weak point--is protected by a highly resistant membrane. Meta Ridley is highly mobile and features a multimissile system, a bomb launcher, and powerful wings. Ice attacks are particularly effective in dealing damage to him.
See also: List of SSBB trophies (Metroid series)
Meta Ridley appears in the Pyrosphere stage as a stage boss. As Ridley, if he is attacked enough, he will join the attacker. He will transform into Meta Ridley by consuming a certain type of energy.
Meta Ridley will attack the opposing fighters by ramming his tail from underneath the stage and spitting fireballs (either in a three-shot spread or a large burst that creates a fiery shockwave upon impact). It can also use its claws to swipe at opposing fighters (the claws create a Shadow effect if they successfully hit an opponent(s).
- Meta Ridley is considered to be very difficult to turn into a trophy, mostly because of the time constraints during the fight and because he is in the air, a trophy stand can hit him and he can fall off the Falcon Flyer, where the player cannot get the trophy.
- There is no time limit for fighting Meta Ridley in The Great Maze (the 31st and final level of Adventure Mode) and Boss Battles Mode (However, neither produce Trophy Stands during these fights).
- Aside from Tabuu, Meta Ridley is the only Boss to have a One-hit KO, though that attack is the easiest to avoid, unlike Tabuu's.
- Interestingly, the music that plays during the Meta Ridley fight is actually Vs. Ridley, not Vs. Meta Ridley. Though, Vs. Meta Ridley music plays while the fighters are escaping from the factory and Vs. Meta Ridley is actually a remix of Vs. Ridley.
- Aside from reviving Meta-Ridley from the Great Maze, Tabuu may have revived him again to be the seventh boss of Subspace Emissary
- Meta Ridley's Trophy description about ice attacks is not far from accurate - the Ice Climbers' Down Special Move, Blizzard, is very effective if both climbers are facing Ridley.
||Master Hand · Metal Mario · Giant Donkey Kong|
||Crazy Hand · Giga Bowser · Metal Bros.|
||Petey Piranha · Rayquaza · Porky Statue / Porky Minch · Galleom · Ridley · Duon · Meta Ridley · Tabuu|
||Rathalos · Ganon · Dracula · Marx · Galeem · Dharkon|
|Characters||Samus Aran (64 · Melee · Brawl · 3DS/Wii U · Ultimate)|
Zero Suit Samus (Brawl · 3DS/Wii U · Ultimate)
Dark Samus (Ultimate)
|Side Characters||Bosses||Ridley · Meta Ridley|
|Assist Trophies||Metroid · Dark Samus · Mother Brain|
|Mii Fighter Costume||Samus Aran|
|Background characters||Ridley · Kraid · Parasite Queen|
|Stage Hazards||FG II-Graham · Joulion · Zero · Ridley|
|Enemies||Geemer · Kihunter · Metroid · Reo|
|Stages||Planet Zebes · Brinstar · Brinstar Depths · Norfair · Frigate Orpheon · Pyrosphere|
Brinstar Escape Shaft
|Music||List of Music (Metroid series)|
|Collectibles||Trophies||Melee Trophies · Brawl Trophies · 3DS Trophies · Wii U Trophies|
|Stickers||List of Stickers (Metroid series)|
|Spirits||List of spirits (Metroid series)|
|Masterpieces||Metroid · Super Metroid|