Masterpieces (名作トライアル, masterpiece trial) are free time-limited trial versions of classic Nintendo titles which the characters of Brawl have appeared in. The full versions can be purchased for the Virtual Console. To save the player time, Masterpieces skip the title and opening of a game. Certain Masterpeices start at specific points of the game that are relevant to Brawl, such as the Donkey Kong Masterpiece starting at the 75m level, while games that supported saving have some built in saves set to various points of the game.
Games included are:
- Super Mario Bros. (NES) - 1:00
- Ice Climber (NES) - 0:40
- The Legend of Zelda (NES) - 2:00
- Kid Icarus (NES) - 1:30
- Kirby's Adventure (NES) - 2:00
- Super Metroid (SNES) (Save files for the first and second battles against Ridley) - 3:00
- Star Fox 64 (N64) - 3:00
- Fire Emblem: Monsho no Nazo (SNES) - 3:00
- EarthBound (SNES) - 5:00
- Donkey Kong (NES) (75m level) - 0:30 - have 10 hours of play time
- Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) (World 1-1 with Peach) - 1:30 - win with Peach five times.
- Super Mario World (SNES) - 2:00 - play on the Yoshi's Island stage over three times.
- F-Zero (SNES) (Mute City course with Blue Falcon) - 0:40 - make Captain Falcon available in Adventure Mode.
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64) (Save files for beginning of Young Link and Adult Link sections)- 5:00 - use Toon Link over ten times in battle.