Luigi (ルイージ, Ruīji) is an unlockable character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He is unlocked by playing 22 matches in Brawl, then defeat Luigi, Beating Classic Mode using no continues, then defeating Luigi, get Luigi to join your party in The Subspace Emissary. His moveset seems essentially unchanged, though some of his potential disadvantages from Melee appear to have been removed (very low friction, very low falling speed, very low horizontal air speed). His dash attack has the same animation and effect, except the last blow now has some knockback, making this move not quite so easy to punish. Another minor change is that his voice is no longer a recycled Mario voice sped up, but his deeper voice from recent games.
While many consider Luigi a clone or semi-clone of Mario, there are some important differences between them. Like Mario, his Fireballs are spammable and help his approach, but, Luigi’s are not affected by gravity, which can be good or bad, depending on the situation. Luigi is also a good juggler due to his speedy attacks and his own speed. His jabs, tilts, and aerials are considered fast and to have high priority. His neutral aerial is also a Sex Kick and can often kill at medium percentages on most characters. He is also able to chain throw many characters when they are at low percentages. His smashes, like most of his attacks, are considered fast and somewhat strong. His specials are also considered good and great for recovery. If one keeps pressing the special attack button during Luigi Cyclone, Luigi will rise up and this can be repeated in a manner similar to Koopa Hopping. His Side Special, the Green Missile, can be used for horizontal recovery to make up for the lack of horizontal recovery from his Super Jump Punch. The Super Jump Punch is unique in the fact that if sweetspotted, it will become the Fire Jump Punch, a much stronger version that deals fire damage. His Taunt is also unique in the sense that it can hit opponents and deal 2% of damage, however if used when the opponent is on the ledge, it is almost always a meteor smash KO. His Final Smash, the Negative Zone, is strange in the sense that it creates a bubble which, if opponents enter, can have many hazardous effects.
- Neutral Attack - Punches twice with both hands and then thrusts his butt out.
- Dash Attack - Luigi swings his arms multiple times. The last hit has more knockback than Melee.
- Strong Side - Luigi does a roundhouse kick. Can be tilted in different directions. 10%
- Strong Up - Luigi does an upwards kittenswipe that is great for juggling. 9%
- Strong Down - Luigi does a tripping kick for minimal damage. Can be used to Meteor Smash opponents from the edge right underneath his foot. 9%
- Side Smash - Luigi does a spearhand that can be tilted with good knockback. 14-21%
- Up Smash - Luigi does an upwards headbutt similar to Mario's Up Smash, but better knockback. 12-21%
- Down Smash -Luigi does a twisting breakdancing sweepkick with excellent vertical knockback. 16-22%
- Ledge attack - Flips over the edge, kicking the opponent during the flip.
- 100% Ledge attack - Slowly gets up and kicks.
- Floor attack -
- Neutral Aerial - Luigi does a sex kick that has great vertical knockback. There is absolutely no horizontal knockback in this attack, but if hit during the first few frames, your foe might become Star K.O.ed. 14%
- Forward Aerial - Luigi does a karate chop that has moderate horizontal knockback. 10%
- Back Aerial - Luigi does a backwards kick similar Mario's with similar knockback. Luigi's new bair is similar to his Fair in the original Smash Bros. 12%
- Up Aerial - Luigi does a flip kick that is great for juggling. 13%
- Down Aerial -Luigi does a quick down spin kick. Can spike in parts of the hitbox. Spike hitbox seems to change after every hit. 11%
Grabs & Throws
- Pummel - Luigi head slams the opponent. 3%
- Forward Throw - Luigi does a spin once and throws forward. 9%
- Back Throw - Luigi spins three times and throws backwards. Amazing knockback and is a strong killing move when foe is at high damage. 12%
- Down Throw - Luigi slams to the ground. Can combo in with U-smash at low percentages; Nair at higher percentages. 6%
- Up Throw - Luigi turns to the screen and throws foe in the air. 8%
Up: Does a variety of humorous poses very quickly in a set order: Faces the screen with one hand on his waist, the other giving the peace symbol, next he turns to the right slightly, pointing his hands that direction. Then, he places his right hand just below his mustache, as if he is thinking. Then he turns away from the screen, crouching, as if hes sad, and finally, he faces the screen once more, with both hands on his face, giving a frightened look. The switch between each expression is so fast, it can't be seen unless the game speed is slowed down a bit. He also makes a sound during each expression: Ho! Ha! Hm! He! Hoo!
Side: Becomes stiff, falls on the floor, then seems to balance himself back up again.
Role in Subspace Emissary
Earlier in the story, Luigi is seen in a green area by some hills. A few Waddle Dees walk by, giving Luigi clueless stares but Luigi is utterly scared by them. He is then ambushed by King Dedede and is turned into a trophy. Using Luigi's trophy to bait Wario, Dedede ambushes him with an army of Waddle Dees before driving off with Wario's cargo, with Ness, a princess, and Luigi's trophies in it. At his hideout, Dedede puts a badge on Luigi (comically on his nose), Ness, and the princess's trophies, before the ceiling collapses on them, and Bowser takes the princess's trophy. But after every character in the Subspace is turned into trophies by Tabuu, the Dedede Badges on Luigi, Ness, and Kirby (who got the princess's badge) bring them back to life. Ness and Luigi bring King Dedede back to life, who thanks them with a big hug before they depart into the Subspace and rescue everyone else. When Wario attacks Dedede, Luigi and Ness come to Dedede's aid, much to Wario's shock. Wario later decides to join them after some thinking. After this, Luigi joins the other heroes as they attack Tabuu.
- Luigi's trophy in Subspace Emissary is different from his collectible trophy. Instead of adjusting his hat, Luigi holds his hands to his face making a surprised expression, which is one of the poses from his up taunt. This distiction is unique to Luigi. Possibly this is because of his expression of his capture when he was hit by King Dedede's Hammer.
- Luigi Requiring 22 vs. matches to unlock is a reference to him being second fiddle to his brother.
- One of Luigi's alternate costumes is Waluigi, as to Mario with Wario's outfit. This is most likely because they are rivals.
- Another of Luigi's alternate costumes is Fire Luigi.
- Luigi's trophy pose is similar to Mario's idle pose in SSBM in were he is adjusting his hat.
- When you choose Luigi on the character select screen, the narrator announces Luigi's name as if suggesting that you should use him, in a skeptical voice. "Luigi..."
- When you see Mario and Pit chasing Ancient Minister after they both land you can see relics behind them, these same relics can be seen on Luigi's scene where the first Waddle Dee is coming from, which means Luigi wasn't too far behind Mario and Pit.
- Luigi's crawling animation (which is literally him walking from his crouch) is also used in Super Mario Galaxy.
- Along with Ness, Luigi is one of the first unlockable characters by playing brawls but one of the last to be unlocked in the Subspace Emissary.
- When a Green Missile is used and Luigi hits a wall, he will sometimes get his head stuck and will do a funny animation of himself pulling out his head from the wall.
- Luigi's crowd chant only has two or three people to it, as opposed to a large group. This could be a running joke to how he is the lesser Mario brother referenced in previous Mario RPG games.