Luigi (ルイージ, Ruīji) is an unlockable character in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. His moveset seems essentially unchanged, though some of his potential disadvantages from Melee appear to have been removed (very low friction, very low falling speed, very low horizontal air speed). His dash attack has the same animation and effect, except the last blow now has some knockback, making this move not quite so easy to punish. Another minor change is that his voice is no longer a recycled Mario voice sped up, but his deeper voice from recent games.
How to unlock
Complete one of the following:
- Play 22 matches in Brawl, then defeat Luigi
- Beat Classic Mode using no continues, then defeat Luigi
- Get Luigi to join your party in The Subspace Emissary
Pros and Cons
- Fireballs are spammable, can be highly disruptive, can help control approach, and have good Wavebounce.
- Great juggler.
- Side special and Down special can both be used to aid recovery greatly, giving Luigi a great recovery, and neither move put him into helpless.
- Fast, high priority aerials, tilts, and jabs.
- His aerials have very little lag upon landing.
- Forward Aerial and Up Aerial are quick with little lag.
- Neutral Aerial is one of the most powerful Sex Kicks in Brawl and can kill off of the top at moderate percentages. High priority and long duration.
- Back Aerial and Down Aerial have high knockback on initial extension.
- Fast and powerful Forward Smash.
- Can chain throw many characters at low percentages.
- Super Jump Punch is a powerful KO move and can be easily set up from a Jab or Power Shield.
- Can Crawl.
- Can perform a technique quite similar to Koopa Hopping with Luigi Cyclone.
- Down Taunt that can inflict damage, also it can score KOs inside his Negative Zone.
- Low traction gives some unique maneuverability properties.
- Most potent use of dash canceling with smashes due to his low traction.
- Can perform any 2 aerial attacks in one short hop due to his low falling speed.
- His Down Taunt can spike for instant death if the opponent is on a ledge, even at 0%.
- Down special can be used to travel the stage quickly and safely because of its speed and priority.
- Super Jump Punch can sweetspot in midair, adding to unpredictability.
- Has some of the quickest aerials in the game.
- Fox-trotting is very quick and can make up for Luigi's slow running speed.
- Easy to juggle due to being Floaty
- Low traction can make it difficult to control approach.
- Super Jump Punch is useless if not sweetspotted and its helpless animation after the attack falls very slowly over a long distance and has high landing lag, making it easily punishable.
- Slow dash speed and second slowest air speed makes Luigi a very slow character, movement wise.
- Green Missile has some ending lag if it ends close to the ground.
Changes from Melee to Brawl
- Has his own voice.
- The last hit of Dash A does more knockback.
- Luigi Cyclone can be used to travel far distances, even in midair.
- Taunt does 2% damage and has set upwards knockback, and has the Ping sound effect. It also is a more powerful Meteor Smash.
- Forward and Down Aerials have less knockback.
- Side Special can sweetspot edge.
- If the Green Missile hits a wall, Luigi will sometimes get stuck for a brief moment and have to pull himself free.
- Up Special travels further vertically and horizontally, but makes Luigi more defenseless if it misses a target, and has a new Helpless animation, he falls upside-down.
- Luigi Cyclone is much more useful in Brawl then it was in Melee. It now rises like Dr. Tornado while still having the same landspeed.
- Green shirt and hat are darker green.
- Overalls are rolled up at the end of his legs.
- Overalls have a slight purplish tint, just like in the original game.
- Green Missile can be charged for as long as wanted now though after a few seconds charging it has already reached full power (Luigi starts flashing and ceases to move).
Strategies & Tips
- Luigi is unique because he has 4 jumps: a first jump, a double jump, his Luigi cyclone and up B, giving him very good recovery ability.
- Make good use of your Fireball which can be good for raising damage from a distance.
- During Luigi Cyclone, after a character is knocked back, keep spinning towards them for more hits.
- Since Super Jump Punch has lots of lag and only does 1% damage if indirect, save it for when a player is asleep, dazed, or in a Pitfall for a nice clean hit.
- A fully charged Green Missile is an excellent KO move. Charging and waiting for someone to come can be a good strategy.
- Up smash is excellent for KOing off the top of the screen.
- The Super Jump Punch is an excellent move to use against players when in their helpless state, if one can time it perfect though.
- Forward smash can be angled upwards and downwards similar to many forward tilts. Angling the Forward smash can effect the angle that the opponent is launched. To angle it hold up or down on the control stick/pad while charging. Angling it upwards causes more vertical knockback while angling downwards causes more horizontal knockback. When used properly the player can score lower percent KOs.
- Neutral aerial is a Sex Kick
- By rapidly tapping B, Luigi Cyclone is excellent for recovery
- Event 19: Wario Bros.- On Mario Bros, you play as Wario against Mario and Luigi.
- Event 29: All-Star Semifinal Regulars- Select your character to fight against the original 4 hidden characters on Yoshi's Island.
Co-Op Event Matches
- Co-Op Event 9: Those Who Stayed in Onett- KO Luigi and Yoshi, playing as Lucas and Ness on Onett.
- Co-Op Event 11: The Great Remodeling Battle- As Luigi and Peach, obtain 300 gold without damaging Luigi's Mansion at all.
- Co-Op Event 21: The True All-Star Battle- Select your character and take on the entire roster on Battlefield.
Role in Subspace Emissary
Earlier in the story, Luigi is seen in a green area by some hills. A few Waddle Dees walk by, giving Luigi clueless stares but Luigi is utterly scared by them. He is then ambushed by King Dedede and is turned into a trophy. Using Luigi's trophy to bait Wario, Dedede ambushes him with an army of Waddle Dees before driving off with Wario's cargo, with Ness, a princess, and Luigi's trophies in it. At his hideout, Dedede puts a badge on Luigi (comically on his nose), Ness, and the princess's trophies, before the ceiling collapses on them, and Bowser takes the princess's trophy. But after every character in the Subspace is turned into trophies by Tabuu, the Dedede Badges on Luigi, Ness, and Kirby (who got the princess's badge) bring them back to life. Ness and Luigi bring King Dedede back to life, who thanks them with a big hug before they depart into the Subspace and rescue everyone else. When Wario attacks Dedede, Luigi and Ness come to Dedede's aid, much to Wario's shock. Wario later decides to join them after some thinking. After this, Luigi joins the other heroes as they attack Tabuu.
- Neutral Attack - Punches twice and does a hip bump.
- Dash Attack - Luigi swings his arms multiple times. The last hit has more knockback than Melee.
- Side Tilt - Luigi does a roundhouse kick. Can be tilted in different directions.
- Up Tilt - Luigi does a kittenswipe that is great for juggling.
- Down Tilt - Luigi does a tripping kick for minimal damage.
- Side Smash - Luigi does a spearhand that can be tilted with good knockback.
- Up Smash - Luigi does an attack similar to marios USmash, but better knockback.
- Down Smash -Luigi does a twisting one-legged sweepkick with excellent vertical knockback.
- Ledge attack - Flips over the edge, kicking the opponent during the flip.
- 100% Ledge attack - Slowly gets up and kicks.
- Floor attack -
- Neutral Aerial - Luigi does sex kick that has great vertical knockback.
- Forward Aerial - Luigi does a karate chop that has good horizontal knockback.
- Back Aerial - Luigi does a backwards kick similar Mario's with similar knockback. Luigi's new bair is similar to his Fair in the orginal Smash Bros.
- Up Aerial - Luigi does a flip kick that is great for juggling.
- Down Aerial -Luigi does a quick down spin kick. Can spike in part of the hitbox.
Grabs & Throws
- Pummel - Luigi head slams the opponent.
- Forward Throw - Luigi does a spin once and throws forward.
- Back Throw - Luigi spins three times and throws backwards.
- Down Throw - Luigi slams to the ground. Can combo in to Utilt at low percentages.
- Up Throw - Luigi turns to the screen and throws in the air.
Snake’s Codec Message
Snake: That guy with the mustache...
Colonel Campbell: Ha. You mean the “King of Second Bananas”?
S: Hey, that’s Luigi! Show him a little respect!
C: Look at that pale skin. He’s been living in his brother’s shadow for too long.
S: That’s a low blow, Colonel!
C: Face it, Snake! Once a kid brother, always a kid brother!
S: Colonel, what’s gotten into you?!
C: La li lu le lo! La li lu le lo! La li lu le lo!
S: Colonel, snap out of it! Colonel!! Coooooooloneeeeeel!
Up: Does a variety of humorous poses very quickly in a set order: Faces the screen with one hand on his waist, the other giving the peace symbol, next he turns to the right slightly, pointing his hands that direction. Then, he places his right hand just below his mustache, as if he is thinking. Then he turns away from the screen, crouching, as if hes sad, and finally, he faces the screen once more, with both hands on his face, giving a frightened look. The switch between each expression is so fast, it can't be seen unless the game speed is slowed down a bit. He also makes a sound during each expression: Ho! Ha! Hm! He! Hoo!
Side: Becomes stiff, falls on the floor, then seems to balance himself back up again.
Down: Kicks at the ground (does 2% damage and has much stronger fixed knockback than in Melee). Gives a bashful "Hm."
Jumps out of a Warp Pipe, while posing fearfully, saying "Let's a go." in a gloomy voice.
- Rubs his nose, stretches it out and releases it, making it slap onto his face.
- Scratches his head (same as in Melee).
- Victory Theme: Mushroom Kingdom Theme
- Turns around with his hat lopsided and makes gun motions with his fingers saying "Bang, bang."
- Childishly swings his arms at the air and gasps twice with exhaustion, similar to one of his victory poses in Melee and his character selection pose in SSB64.
- Falls to the ground two times, stiff as a board, also similar to the one from Melee.
Has a sad face and slowly claps.
Makes a small grunt as if he's picking something up. Sounds like "heeee-yah!"
- Luigi's Mansion Theme
- Luigi's trophy in Subspace Emissary is different from his collectible trophy. Instead of adjusting his hat, Luigi holds his hands to his face making a surprised expression, which is one of the poses from his up taunt. This distiction is unique to Luigi.
- Luigi Requiring 22 vs. matches to unlock is a reference to him being second fiddle to his brother.
- One of Luigi's alternate costumes is Waluigi, as to Mario with Wario's outfit. This is most likely because they are rivals.
- Luigi's trophy pose is similar to Mario's idle pose in SSBM in were he is adjusting his hat.
- When you choose Luigi on the character select screen, the narrator announces Luigi's name as if suggesting that you should use him, in a skeptical voice. "Luigi..."
- When you see Mario and Pit chasing Ancient Minister after they both land you can see relics behind them, these same relics can be seen on Luigi's scene where the first Waddle Dee is coming from, which means Luigi wasn't too far behind Mario and Pit.
- Luigi's crawling animation (which is literally him walking from his crouch) is also used in Super Mario Galaxy.
- Along with Ness, Luigi is one of the first unlockable characters by playing brawls but one of the last to be unlocked in the Subspace Emissary.
- When a Green Missile is used and Luigi hits a wall, he will sometimes get his head stuck and will do a funny animation of himself pulling out his head from the wall.