Lakitu (ジュゲム, Jugem) and Spinies (トゲゾー, Togezo) are common mob enemies throughout the Super Mario franchise.
They joined Super Smash Bros. Brawl as a summonable Assist Trophy, and return as such for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. A piece of Headgear for the Mii Fighters modeled after the Spiny is also available in both 3DS/Wii U and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
Lakitus and Spinies are both sub-species of the Koopa, usually seen riding in a cloud with a smiling face called Jugem's Cloud. They are the most visually distinct of the Koopa family; for Lakitu, it is with their rounded noses instead of the beak-shape, strands of hair, ring-patterned shells instead of hexagonal patters, lack of footwear, and their trademark large goggles; for Spinies, they bear more of a closer resemblance to Buzzy Beetles and Spike Tops. Additionally, Lakitus are able to speak fluently, though this is more prominent in the sports spin-off titles.
Lakitu and Spinies made their debut appearances in Super Mario Bros., first popping up in World 4-1. As enemy characters, Lakitu typically flies around just barely within Mario's reach and throws Spiny Eggs, which turn into Spinies once they land on the ground. They will repeatedly do this until either Mario is able to defeat them or he reaches the flag pole. Apart from Spinies, Lakitus have also been seen using fishing poles, though mainly for holding up the camera in Super Mario 64 or signal lights in the Mario Kart games.
- Introduced in Super Mario World:
- Fishin' Lakitu - A Lakitu with a fishing pole, usually dangling a 1-Up Mushroom. They are more common in the Mario Kart series, holding the signal lights in the beginning of each race.
- Lakitu in a Pipe - A Lakitu hiding in a pipe instead of a cloud.
- Fishin' Boo - A ghostly Lakitu that rides in a cloud with no face. They carry a blue flame on their fishing hooks instead of a 1-Up Mushroom.
- Introduced in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island:
- Wall Lakitu - A Lakitu that does not ride in a cloud, but rather hides behind a hole in a wall.
- Aqua Lakitu - Similar to a Wall Lakitu, but hide underwater instead.
- Thunder Lakitu - A pink Lakitu that can cast thunder on the ground, briefly setting it ablaze.
- Royal Bus Driver - Introduced in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. A large Lakitu that drives a bus that resembles the Jugem's Cloud. He is instructed by King Nimbus to transport Mario and his party to Bowser's Keep.
- Lakilester - Introduced in Paper Mario. Initially introduced as a minion of Huff N. Puff, he defects and joins Mario's party, mainly to impress his girlfriend Lakilulu.
- Lakipea - Introduced in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga / Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions. A Lakitu variant that lives in the Beanbean Kingdom, specifically in Beanbean Fields. A Lakipea has a sprout growing on its head and rides on a vine-covered Jugem's Cloud.
- Introduced in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door:
- Laki - An 18-year-old trainspotter from Rogueport that spends his days admiring the Excess Express. He wishes to ride in it one day, but can't due to a lack of money.
- Spike Storm / Midnight Spike-Bombers - A team consisting of one Lakitu and two Spinies that fight in the Glitz Pit.
- Dark Lakitu - A stronger variation of Lakitu that can only be found in the Pit of 100 Trials. They ride in a darker shade of Jugem's Cloud and only throw Sky-Blue Spinies.
- Lakitufo - Introduced in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. An alien Lakitu that is hanging on to the side of a flying saucer that will beam down Spiny Shroopas.
- Introduced in Super Princess Peach:
- Calm Lakitu - A Lakitu living in Vibe Island, usually seen sleeping. It will awaken if Princess Peach moves too fast.
- Calm Fishin' Boo - A Fishin' Boo that is normally asleep. It can also be awakened on accident.
- Lakithunder - Introduced in New Super Mario Bros. A large Lakitu that rides a dark Jugem's Cloud that can shoot lightning directly below. He is the boss of the secret World 7.
- King Lakitu - Introduced in Super Mario Galaxy 2. A giant Lakitu that rides in a purple Jugem's Cloud. He is the boss of the Yoshi Star Galaxy.
- Lakitu King - Introduced in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story / Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey. A crown-wearing Lakitu that only appears when Bowser fights a Filfit. Bowser will inhale them so Mario and Luigi can defeat it inside. A purple variant called Glam Lakitu can appear when Bowser fights Beehoss and Crawful.
- Gold Lakitu - Introduced in New Super Mario Bros. 2. A Lakitu that will turn golden after Mario and Luigi pass through a gold ring; in its gold form, Lakitu will instead drop coins. If either brother rides the Jugem's Cloud, it will add coins to the counter as they fly. Defeating a Gold Lakitu grants them 20 coins.
- Commander Lakitu - Introduced in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. A duo of Lakitus that command the Boomerang Bros.
- Thorny - Introduced in Mario Clash. Spinies that behave similarly to Shellcreepers.
- Spikey - Introduced in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. A bipedal Spiny that attacks by turning into a ball to ram Mario and his party, as well as firing spikes. There are also two stronger variants; a green-shelled one named Spikesters and a purple-shelled one named Oerlikons.
- Spike Koopa - Introduced in Mario Party. Bipedal Spinies with faces resembling frogs with Goomba fangs. They only appear in the "Key-pa-Way" minigame.
- Sharpea - Introduced in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga / Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions. A Spiny variant with a yellow shell and green spikes that lives in the Beanbean Kingdom, specifically near the castle or in Hoohoo Mountain.
- Introduced in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door:
- Dark Spiny - A powerful, all-black Spiny that only appears in the Pit of 100 Trials.
- Sky-Blue Spiny - Another strong Spiny variant that also only appears in the Pit of 100 Trials. They are thrown by Dark Lakitus.
- Spiny Shroopa - Introduced in Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. A Shroob version of a Spiny with gray hid legs and small arms. They are thrown by Lakitufos and are only found in the Vim Factory.
- Sad Spiny - Introduced in Super Princess Peach. A Spiny living in Vibe Island that is commonly found running very fast while continuously weeping.
- Spike Blop - Introduced in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story / Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey. Blobs living inside Bowser's body brandishing Spiny shells.
- Big Spiny - Introduced in Mario Party 9. They first debut as part of the "Sock it to Lakitu" minigame. They reappear as a mini-boss in Kiwano Temple in Paper Mario: Color Splash.
A Fishin' Lakitu has a chance of appearing in the background of the Peach's Castle stage. His design is based on his appearance in Super Mario 64, complete with the camera on the end of the fishing rod.
A Lakitu as he originally appeared in Super Mario Bros. makes a cameo in the background of Mushroom Kingdom along with Spinies. A Fishin' Lakitu also makes an appearance in the background of Yoshi's Island.
These airborne menaces used to ride their clouds exclusively as Bowser's henchmen. They typically hover just out of Mario's reach and hurl Spinies with irritating precision. More recently, however, they've been known to take on less evil tasks, such as doing camera work for sports events and even helping Mario on his quests.
- Super Mario Bros. (10/85)
Lakitu and Spinies appear as a summonable Assist Trophy, using their original Super Mario Bros. design. Lakitu will hover above the stage and drop Spinies, which wander around and damage opponents if they touch them. An airborne Spiny Egg can also Meteor Smash. Uniquely, Lakitu can be KO'd; however, managing to hit him correctly can prove to be difficult, as he can use Spiny Eggs as a shield. Spinies themselves are invincible but easy to dodge due to their small size and slow movement; they will remain on-screen until they fall off the stage or just simply disappear.
When Lakitu is defeated, he'll fall while upside down. A glitch however, can cause Lakitu to be stuck in midair when defeated for a short period of time. While it lasts, it will disappeared.
A particularly stubborn breed of Koopa. Lakitus chase Mario aboard clouds and attack by throwing Spiny Eggs down from above. More recently, Lakitus have taken over the role of cameramen, filming with cameras that they dangle from long rods. Spinies are Koopa creatures with tough, spiked shells. Jumping onto them has no effect, but fireballs can dispatch them.
|Lakitu||Mario Kart: Super Circuit||Leg Attack +13||Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Yoshi|
|Lakitu||New Super Mario Bros.||Aura Attack +6||Lucario|
|Spiny||New Super Mario Bros.||Slash Attack +9||Any|
Lakitu and Spinies can also appear during Smash Run, this time appearing in their more modern designs. They behave much like how they are as an Assist Trophy by attacking fighters by throwing Spiny Eggs which become Spinies upon hitting the ground. However, Spinies can now be defeated but do not drop any stat boosts. Lakitu can also be knocked down from his Jugem's Cloud, but can regain it if enough time has passed. If they have not been defeated fast enough, they will simply fly away.
Headgear for the Mii Fighters based on a Spiny shell is available in the base game. It can acquired at random with a Custom Part in the Wii U version, but is a Challenge reward in the Nintendo 3DS version, which is unlocked by playing Cruel Smash for the first time.
Trophy Description (Lakitu and Spinies)
Flying over the battlefield in a cloud, this member of Bowser's forces persistently chases after Mario. He takes a break from throwing Spiny Eggs to do some racing in Mario Kart 7. When summoned, he'll appear as a sprite and toss Spiny Eggs at those fighting below him.
One of Bowser's minions, this cloud-riding turtle and general nuisance to Mario made his debut as a playable character in Mario Kart 7. In this game, you can summon a pixellated Lakitu who'll throw Spiny Eggs that will turn into Spinies - beasties with red, spiky shells - when they hit the ground.
Trophy Description (Lakitu)
This Trophy is exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS version.
With his cute little specs and smiling cloud, it's hard not to love Lakitu...until he starts pelting you with Spiny Eggs. This meanie has been tormenting Mario since the very first Super Mario Bros. game, and his mode of attack is no different here. He'll try and hover out of reach, but only by taking him out can you keep the Spiny rain from falling.
With his cute little specs and smiling cloud, it's hard not to love Lakitu...until he starts pelting you with Spiny Eggs. This blighter has been tormenting Mario since the very first Super Mario Bros. game, and his mode of attack is no different here. Although he loves to hover just out of reach, you'll want to take him out to stop those Spinies coming.
Trophy Description (Spiny)
This Trophy is exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS version.
Somebody needs to ask Lakitu just where he gets these spiky-shelled little critters... They start off as Spiny Eggs when he hurls them and then turn into Spinies when they land. They'll immediately head for any fighters in the area. Avoid them or take them out--your choices!
Somebody needs to ask Lakitu just where he gets these spiky-shelled little critters... They start off as Spiny Eggs when he hurls them, then turn into the spinies we know and... "love" when they land, immediately heading for any fighters in the area! Try dodging just before those spikes touch you, and then move in to attack!
Trophy Description (Lakitu + Cloud 9)
This Trophy is exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS version.
The cloud kart is basically the bottom half of Lakitu. With its fluffy design and zippy style, the Cloud 9 seems like a good match for Yoshi, but can you imagine what it would look like for Wario to drive this? It might just be distracting enough to give you an advantage!
This cloud kart is basically Lakitu's other half. As in, "bottom half". Being so fluffy, it would be a good fit for Yoshi, but can you imagine Wario driving it? That'd just be weird! Then again, maybe he'd use that to throw his opponents off their game... Yep, that Wario's a sneaky one!
The Lakitu & Spinies Assist Trophy does not return for this installment, but the Spiny Hat Headgear for the Mii Fighters does; it must be purchased from the Shop for 450G. The Fishin' Lakitu also reappears in the returning Yoshi's Island (Melee) stage.
A Spirit of Lakitu & Spiny is available in the base game. It is a Primary Grab Spirit under the Advanced class. Their Spirit Battle uses Iggy Koopa (representing Lakitu, as both are spectacled) and 8 tiny Bowsers (representing the Spinies). The stage is Mushroom Kingdom and the song that plays is "Ground Theme - Super Mario Bros." - both calling back to their debuts in Super Mario Bros.
|39||Lakitu & Spiny||New Super Mario Bros.||★★||Weight ↓||3|
||Andross · Barbara · Devil · Dr. Wright · Excitebikes · Gray Fox · Hammer Bro. · Helirin · Isaac · Infantry & Tanks · Jeff Andonuts · Jill · Kat & Ana · Knuckle Joe · Lakitu and Spinies · Little Mac · Lyn · Metroid · Mr. Resetti · Nintendog · Ray MK III · Saki Amamiya · Samurai Goroh · Shadow the Hedgehog · Starfy · Tingle · Waluigi|
||Ashley · Chain Chomp · Color TV-Game 15 · Dark Samus · Dillon · Dr. Kawashima · Elec Man · Ghirahim · Ghosts · Isabelle · Magnus · Midna · Mother Brain · Nightmare · Phosphora · Prince of Sablé · Riki · Sheriff · Skull Kid · Starman · Takamaru|
||Akira Yuki · Alucard · Arcade Bunny · Black Knight · Bomberman · Burrowing Snagret · Chef Kawasaki · Flies & Hand · Guile · Kapp'n · Knuckles the Echidna · Krystal · Moon · Nikki · Rathalos · Rodin · Shovel Knight · Spring Man · Squid Sisters · Sukapon · Thwomp · Tiki · Vince · Wily Capsule · Yuri Kozukata · Zero|
||Bronto Burt · Buzzy Beetle · Fly Guy · Goonie · Koopa Troopa · King Dedede · Moltres · Pidgey · Ridley · Whispy Woods|
||Banzai Bill · Chozo Statue · Cranky Kong · Four Giants · Goomba · Kraid · Lakitu · Moon · Pak E. Derm · Tingle · Toad|
||Azelf · Boo · Red Bulborb · Chain Chomp · Cresselia · Cubone · Drifloon · Dugtrio · Electivire · The Fish · GEKKO · Hoppip · K.K. Slider · Knuckles the Echidna · Magnezone · Mei Ling · Mesprit · Metal Gear RAY · Metal Gear REX · Otacon · Parasite Queen · Peppy Hare · Porky Statue · Roy Campbell · Polar Bear · Silver the Hedgehog · Skarmory · Slippy Toad · Snorunt · Snover · Star Wolf · Tails · Timmy & Tommy · Tom Nook · Uxie · Villager|
||Affinity · Alfonso · Axew · Blastoise · Clawitzer · Dragonite · Emolga · Fortitudo · Honedge · Hydreigon · Inspired · Kapp'n · Lloid · Lumas · Mii · Milotic · Mr. Resetti · Nintendog · Pikmin · Piplup · Pyroar · Scizor · Shaymin · Steelix · Toad Brigade · Toon Link · Viridi · Wailord · Whimsicott · Wii Balance Board · Yveltal · Zapdos · Zekrom|
||Andy Bogard · Aqua · Athena Asamiya · Billy Kane · Blue Mary · Bottles · Buzzbomb · Carmilla · Cetacea · Chang Koehan & Choi Bounge · Claude von Riegan · Death · Dimitri Alexandre Blaiddyd · Dracula · Edelgard von Hresvelg · Geese Howard · Goro Daimon · Gruntilda · Heihachi Mishima · Iori Yagami · Jinjo · Joe Higashi · Judd and Li'l Judd · Kim Kaphwan · King · Kyo Kusanagi · Master Mummy · Mechanica · Medusa · Mobs · Mòrag and Brighid · Mumbo Jumbo · Mummy · Nia and Dromarch · Ninjara · Pauline · Phantom Thieves of Hearts · Ralf Jones & Clark Still · Rhea · Ribbon Girl · Riku · Rock Howard · Roxas · Ryo Sakazaki · Ryuji Yamazaki · Slime · Sora · Spring Man · Terra · The Creature & Flea Man · Tockles · Tooty · Tora and Poppi α · Tung Fu Rue · Twintelle · Ventus · Werewolf · Xion · Yuri Sakazaki · Zeke and Pandoria|
|Enemies||Bacura · Banzai Bill · Bill Blaster · Bubble · Bonkers · Boom Stomper · Bronto Burt · Bulborb · Bullet Bill · Bumpety Bomb · Chain Chomp · Chandelure · Clubberskull · Cryogonal · Cucco · Daphne · Darknut · Devil Car · Eggrobo · Flage · Flame Chomp · Fly Guy · Gastly · Geemer · Generator · Ghost · Giant Goomba · Glice · Glire · Glunder · Goomba · Gordo · Hammer Bro. · Iridescent Glint Beetle · Kihunter · Koffing · Koopa Paratroopa · Koopa Troopa · Kritter · Lakitu and Spinies · Lethinium · Lurchthorn · Magikoopa · Mahva · Megonta · Metroid · Mettaur · Mimicutie · Mite · Monoeye · Nutski · Octorok · Orne · Parasol Waddle Dee · Peahat · Petilil · Plasma Wisp · Polar Bear · Pooka · Poppant · Reaper · ReDead · Reo · Roturret · Shotzo · Shy Guy · Skuttler · Sneaky Spirit · Souflee · Spike Top · Stalfos · Starman · Tac · Tiki Buzz · Waddle Dee · Waddle Doo · Zuree|
|Items||Custom Part · Powers · Gold|