The Koopalings (also known as the Koopa Kids) are the seven siblings who serve among the highest officers in Bowser's army. They appeared in many Mario games as end-of-world bosses, but have been featured less in recent years. In more recent games they often work alongside Bowser Jr. They made their first appearance as playable characters in Mario Kart 8.
Although the the Koopalings do not have a physical presence in Super Smash Bros. Melee, are mentioned in Bowser’s Trophy description.
“Bowser has a long history of kidnapping Princess Peach to lure his nemesis, Mario, into traps. He leads an enormous group of mischievous creatures, not the least of which are his seven children. With outrageous strength, flammable breath, and more spikes than you can shake a Star Rod at, Bowser is a constant threat.”
The Koopalings themselves are not mentioned but Ludwig does appear as a sticker.
|Name||Image||artwork from||Effect in The Subspace Emissary||Characters|
|Ludwig von Koopa||Super Mario Bros. 3||Explosives Attack +8||Any character|
As playable characters
The Koopalings all appear as Bowser Jr.'s alternate costumes. Like Alph, they keep their respective names when one chooses between them. Each Koopaling has their own voice clips, taken directly from New Super Mario Bros. U.
The leader of the Koopalings, with aggressive tendencies to match. He's easily recognized by his tall, blue hair. In New Super Mario Bros. Wii, he makes his appearance in World 1. You might think he's tough, with his blue fireballs and shell spins, but his patterns are actually pretty easy to read.
The biggest of the Koopalings. Morton stands out due to the three strands of hair on his head and...oh, the big star on his face. He's more brawn than brains, and in New Super Mario Bros. 2, he appears in World 4, where he'll stay glued to the spot until you attack him. Maybe he just can't be bothered to move!
Of all the Koopalings, Wendy's the only girl. She's bold, bossy, big headed, and sees Peach and Daisy as her rivals. Despite her tomboyish nature, she's not afraid to show off her feminine side with a pink bow and heels. In New Super Mario Bros. U, she shows off her graceful ice-skating skills with a spin or two.
One of the Koopalings. Iggy wears black-rimmed glasses, has hair that's sort of pineapplish, and is known for being a bit of a prankster. He talks in a cutesy way but laughs like a maniac. Also, he seems to like taming Chain Chomps, and in New Super Mario Bros. 2, he gets a rampaging Chain Chomp to help him take on Mario.
This heavy guy is one of the Koopalings and likes throwing his weight around. His pink sunglasses might not make him seem evil, but the speed he can go from slacker to soldier certainly does. In Super Mario Bros. 3, he causes earthquakes to stop Mario in his tracks, all while attacking with blasts of magic. Nasty stuff!
The smallest and nimblest of the Koopalings, Lemmy is a little rascal with a wacky, childlike look on his face. In New Super Mario Bros. U, he's the boss of World 1 and rides a giant ball while his colorful mohawk sways in the breeze. Don't underestimate him, though—his ball attacks are trickier than they look!
The cleverest of the Koopalings, easily recognized by his big tufts of hair. He's got a mature air about him, but he likes to show off and can sound a bit pompous. In New Super Mario Bros. Wii, he's the boss of World 7 and torments Mario by firing homing magic blasts and floating too high in the air to be jumped on.
As playable characters
The Koopalings again all appear as Bowser Jr.'s alternate costumes.
- The Koopalings are all named after famous musicians with the exception of Larry and Morton
- Larry being named after Larry Mullen, Jr. co-drummer of band U2.
- Morton being named after talk show host Morton Downey Jr.
- Wendy being named after Wendy O. Williams, lead singer of the Plasmatics.
- Iggy being named after Iggy Pop, punk rock star and member of The Stooges.
- Roy being named after Roy Orbison, a famed rock and roll singer/songwriter.
- Lemmy being named after the late Lemmy Kilmister, founder and frontman of Motörhead.
- Ludwig being named after famous 1800s composer Ludwig van Beethoven.
- The Koopalings were originally said to be Bowser's children, but as of 2012, Shigeru Miyamoto has stated that they are not, meaning Bowser Jr. is his only offspring.
- Since Wendy is one of Bowser Jr.'s alts, complete with having her name announced and having her own voice pack, she is the first playable female villain in the Super Smash Bros. series. 2nd female villain being Dark Samus
- Wendy is also the third playable female character from the Mario franchise, after Princess Peach and Rosalina, with Princess Daisy being the fourth.
- She is also the first playable female character who is not a humanoid, the second and third being Pikachu and Pichu as alternative palettes in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, the fourth being Isabelle and the fifth being Kazooie.
- Roy is the first playable character in the series to share the same name as another playable character in the series.
- As a joke, in the DLC trailer for Roy from Fire Emblem, he is shown beating on Roy Koopa, while Roy Koopa was swinging a hammer.
- Ludwig appeared as a sticker in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- There is a chance Iggy will appear in Super Smash Bros. Melee’s Name Entry if the player presses "Random".