Kirby (カービィ, Kābī) had been confirmed for Super Smash Bros. Brawl since the first preview shown at E3 in May 2006. Of all the characters shown, Kirby appears to be almost completely unchanged graphically. It was speculated that Kirby's up smash may be stronger, his attacks seem to be quicker in general, and he is apparently somewhat heavier than before.
His Final Smash is Cook Kirby, which is reminiscent of the Cook ability seen in various Kirby games. In the games, Cook Kirby clashes his utensils, tosses opponents into a pot, seasons them, stirs, and finally, items pop out of the pot.
Kirby’s signature ability is Inhale, which allows him to suck in enemies and take their standard special move. In the case that he swallows another Kirby, he will either take that Kirby’s ability if the opponent has one, or just simply swallow him and nothing will happen. His side special, Hammer, is strong and acts differently depending on if it’s used in the air or on the ground. If used on the ground, Kirby will simply swing the hammer once, dealing good damage and knockback. If used in the air, he will get pushed forward a little and swing the hammer twice in a row. His down special, Stone, turns Kirby into one of several heavy objects and than falls if it was used in the air and can land on opponents, dealing semi-decent knockback and damage, and then staying on the ground in object form. If used on the ground, he will just turn into an object and just sit there, negating all damage. He can, however, be knocked out of with really strong attacks, or grabbed out of it. His Up Special, Final Cutter, sends him upwards, but then he comes down quickly. If he hits the ground at the end, he sends out a shock wave that goes a semi-decent distance. During the part when he goes down, if an opponent is hit, they get meteor smashed. This can be used for a 3-hit combo. His aerials are quick and strong. His down aerial is a slight meteor smash. Kirby's up aerial is a very fast attack that can be used to juggle well. His foward aerial helps his recovery and is a three hit combo. Kirby's back aerial is his quickest finishing move. For Kirby's neutral aerial, he spins around dealing decent damage and knockback. Kirby has very good ground game, as all of his smashes come out quickly, and his tilts are fast. A few setbacks for the Warpstar Warrior are that he is very light, and can die easily. He also has a fairly slow dash, and has predictable moves, short range and is floaty. If a player dedicates themself enough to get around those weaknesses, then Kirby will become a very powerful opponent.
Changes from Melee to Brawl
- Believe it or not, Kirby is actually rounder than he was in Melee.
- Hammer in mid-air is now two full horizontal swings.
- Dash attack is no longer "Burning/Fireball Kirby", and is instead his Break Spin from Yo-Yo Kirby in Kirby Super-Star.
- Attacks are stronger.
- Final Cutter is faster.
- More Horizontal midair movement.
- Inhale can now suck in items.
- Hammer can help recovery because of the brief stall at the beginning.
- F-Throw and B-Throw cannot Kirbycide anymore, neither could they be escaped from.
- Can no longer change the direction he's facing when using Final Cutter.
- Hammer deals a bit more damage and always does a good hit when on the ground
- When swallowciding, every character is a "Zero Framer"
- No longer regains all his jumps after a swallowcide
- Is actually better at combos in Brawl, oddly enough.
- Hammer no longer has a sweetspot (or a hitbox) at the back of the swing and is now very strong wherever it connects
Role in the Subspace Emissary
In the beginning, a trophy of Mario and Kirby are thrown into an arena, come to life, and have a friendly match. The player chooses the one they want to play as. After the battle between the two, the victor revives the fallen loser, and the two fighters celebrate and wave to the crowd when suddenly, the Subspace Army attacks! Peach and Zelda, who were watching their match, both come to their aid. After the brief battle, the Ancient Minister shows up with a giant Subspace Bomb that is quickly armed by two R.O.B.s. When Mario attempts to stop the bomb, he is ambushed by a giant cannonball and is blasted away from the stadium. Meanwhile, the two princesses are captured by Petey Pirahna, and are thrown into separate cages. Kirby then faces off against Petey, but only one princess can be freed. After defeating Petey, Wario appears carrying a giant gun called the Dark Cannon, turns the princess Kirby didn't save into a trophy, and runs off with her. As Kirby and the remaining princess begin to leave, Kirby sees that the Subspace Bomb is about to explode! Fortunately, they flee the Midair Stadium via Warp Star. However, they are soon chased by the Halberd and are forced to land on it. Soon after, an Arwing gets shot down, blowing both Kirby and the princess off the Halberd and onto a series of ridges.
After climbing down from the ridges, Kirby sees something and runs ahead, leaving Peach/Zelda behind. She is then turned into a trophy from behind by Bowser's Dark Cannon, and is copied by a Shadowbug clone of Bowser. After a fight, Mario and Pit/Link and Yoshi are turned into trophies, and are captured by an arm from a cargo drove by King Dedede, which also has Zelda/Peach, Luigi, and Ness's trophies. Suddenly, Kirby appears from behind and uses Final Cutter to sever the arm, and revives the pair's trophies in the process. When Dedede attempts to escape, Pit/Link fires an arrow at his cargo, slowing it down a little, and the five pursue Dedede to save their friends.
Eventually, they find a cave that Dedede's cargo is parked by, and after getting through, they find Dedede's hideout. Upon exploring his hideout they see a hole in the wall, and decide to enter it. They then see Bowser, who escapes to the Halberd after avoiding Mario and Pit's attacks. After the scuffle however, Kirby finds a mysterious badge that fell off Zelda/Peach's trophy
Some time after that, Kirby and the others pursue the Ancient Minister in a desert, trying to stop him from detonating another Subspace Bomb. Despite their best efforts, the bomb still explodes, and they barely managed to escape it. Kirby and the others then aided Marth, Ike, Lucas, the Ice Climbers, and the Pokémon Trainer in warding off the Subspace Army troops that had come to face them.
After defeating them, the Falcon Flyer, and the Halberd (now under Meta Knight's control) land infront of them, and they all join forces to defeat the Subspace Army. The Subspace Gunship, commanded by Bowser and Ganondorf, appears out of a large sphere of Subspace, and after destroying the Halberd, tries to attack 4 smaller ships emerging from its wreckage. Fortunately, Kirby manages to save them by destroying the Gunship with Dragoon, and follows the others into Subspace.
When they confront Tabuu, Tabuu unleashes an attack that turns everyone, including Kirby, into trophies. However, Kirby is revived by himself, thanks to the badge he found at Dedede's hideout earlier, which he had swallowed prior to Tabuu's attack. After going through Subspace alone and reviving some of the fighters along the way, Kirby finds Ganondorf's trophy. Before he can do anything Bowser appears and attacks Ganondorf's trophy in revenge for turning him into a trophy earlier, before throwing it aside. King Dedede then runs over to Kirby and hugs him before pointing the staircase to Kirby, and dragging Kirby up it. Kirby then helps the others fight Tabuu.
- Event 3: Pink Ball Repulsion- The Player plays as Meta Knight and has to defeat Kirby on the Battleship Halberd before the flying platform lands.
- Event 10: All-Star Battle Regulars- Choose your character and take on the "original 8" fighters, two at a time.
- Event 12: Sleeping in the Eggs- The player controls Yoshi and has to use Egg Lay to put Kirby and Pikachu in eggs simultaneously. 
- Event 13: Dragoon Strike- As Kirby on Battleship Halberd, collect the Dragoon pieces and KO all three Warios with the Dragoon. You can kill one after a time, but you need another Dragoon.
Co-Op Event Matches
- Co-Op Event 1: Two Trouble Kings- Play as Mario and Kirby against Bowser and King Dedede on Delfino Plaza.
- Co-Op Event 21: The True All-Star Battle- Select your character and take on the entire roster on Battlefield.
- Neutral Attack - Two punches, followed by a rapid flurry of punches that release shock waves. Vulcan Jab from his Fighter Ability.
- Dash Attack - Spins on his hands, while kicking with his feet. Multiple hits, with last hit having some knockback. Break Spin from his Yo-yo Ability from Kirby Super Star.
- Forward Tilt - A quick short ranged roundhouse kick. Can be angled upward or downward.
- Up Tilt - Quickly raises one leg vertically from behind. A good juggling move.
- Down Tilt - Crouches low and delivers a short ranged low kick. May trip opponents.
- Forward Smash - Lunges forward and delivers a mid-range jump kick that moves Kirby forward. High knockback and executes quickly. In all Kirby games Kirby can use this move even without powers.
- Up Smash - Does a short somersault while doing an upward kick. Decent range, and High knockback. If not staled, can star KO Mario at 101% if it sweet spots and Mario doesn't DI.
- Down Smash - Splits his legs apart spins around rapidly. Good range, decent knockback.
- Neutral Aerial - Spins in place, dealing damage with his arms and legs.
- Forward Aerial - Does three spinkick with the last kick having good knockback. Kirby could do this move with his Fighter Ability.
- Back Aerial - Quickly crouches in midair then kicks his legs behind him. High knockback and has Sex Kick properties.
- Up Aerial - Does a flip kick in midair similar to his Up smash.
- Down Aerial - Mid-powered drilling attack that spikes at about 150%.
Grabs and Throws
- Pummel - A quick punch.
- Forward Throw - Rises slowly in the air, while flipping, then slams the opponent down. Kirby used this move in his Backdrop/Suplex Ability.
- Back Throw - Quickly flips backwards and slams opponent head-first into the ground. Kirby used this move in his Backdrop/Suplex Ability.
- Down Throw - Throws them into the ground, and then stomps on them several times quickly. Known as "Victory Dance".
- Up Throw - Flies off the top of the screen, and comes back down. Kirby used this move in his Backdrop/Suplex Ability, though recent titles use it on the Fighter Ability.
- Kirby makes a squeaky noise when he goes in and out of a crouch.
- If you listen carefully to Kirby when doing Jigglypuff's copy ability,it may sound like purin,Jigglypuff's Japanese name.
- After most of Kirby's falls, a star will fall out.
- Kirby is the only character to have a different dash attack in every Smash Bros. game. In the original Super Smash Bros., he performed his famous slide tackle. In Melee, he performed "Burning Kirby" and in Brawl he performs Yo-yo Kirby's spinning maneuver from Kirby Super Star.
- Kirby's yell when he performs the Warlock Punch and when he's KO'd sound similar.
- A small star appears when Kirby finishes his up taunt.
- Kirby's Stone attack can be canceled out of and reused repeatedly, making hard to predict the exact landing point of Kirby while he's falling.
- Unlike most characters, Kirby is still excited even if he loses in a match.
- When Kirby swallows Link, he shoots his bow left handed, just as Link does.
- Kirby's helpless animation is the same pose he takes when he falls a long distance in most Kirby games, and in the games this diving pose could damage enemies.