- This article is about King Dedede's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. For other uses, see King Dedede.
|“||He's not very fast, but he's one of few heavyweight fighters with great recovery. Apparently, his first defeat by Kirby inspired him to train hard to learn a move called Hovering, which allows him to float after taking a deep breath.||”|
|—Description from the Super Smash Blog.|
King Dedede is a veteran fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, first playable in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He was confirmed to return on June 12, 2018 during E3 2018, He is planned to have his kill series by IsabelleTheAbbyHatcherBC&TATRKLover 2008.
When he challenges the player, he is fought at Fountain of Dreams.
- Very high weight.
- Powerful smash attacks that cover great range.
- All of his attacks save for Up Tilt, Down Tilt, Neutral Aerial, and Dash Attack have disjointed hitboxes.
- All Smash Attacks, Neutral Aerial, Jet Hammer and Super Dedede Jump have transcending priority.
- Forward Tilt has the highest range of all in the whole game.
- Very strong dash attack.
- Decent standard ground and aerial attacks which have good damage and range.
- Powerful combo throw potential.
- Has many attacks that inflict high shield damage.
- Has one of the highest vertical recoveries in the game.
- Can perform sacrificial KO's with Inhale.
- Gordo Toss can be launched at different speeds and angles, forcing opponents to be on their guard. If it hits a ledge corner it can be stuck for a few seconds, making it useful for edge guarding.
- Jet Hammer can land KOs at early percentages, especially when fully charged.
- Down Aerial and Super Dedede Jump can Meteor Smash.
- Inhale can be used to inhale most projectiles.
- Large frame, having big hurtboxes.
- Not many attacks with super amor frames.
- Poor frame data.
- Although he can jump four times in a row, the slow speed makes his horizontal recovery very poor.
- Very slow running speed.
- Considerable lag on his most powerful attacks.
- High landing lag in most aerials.
- Very high falling speed, which combined with his massive size makes him an easy combo target.
- Has problem dealing with other zoners and campers.
- His Smash Attacks are slow. Additionally Forward and Up Smashes deal very low knockback if they hit on the sourspots on the handle.
- Predictable recovery. Also, Dedede becomes helpless if the player cancels Super Dedede Jump, leaving him extremely vulnerable.
- Super Dedede Jump, while providing massive vertical recovery, will not allow Dedede to cling onto ledges even if he is within range of one.
- Gordo Toss has low priority, and can be easily reflected back at Dedede by pretty much any attack in the game.
Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- Down tilt can move left or right no matter the direction he faces when he crouches.
Grabs and Throws
- King Dedede can now inhale Gordos he has thrown via Gordo Throw.
- His Final Smash has been changed to a cage match where Masked Dedede fires missiles at the player, and then knocks them out of the cage with a hammer.
- Neutral Attack: two swing hammer attack; third strike culminates into a spinning hammer attack with launch - hold down button to extend duration
- Forward Tilt: spins hammer head with a lunge attack
- Up Tilt: headbutt upwards
- Down Tilt: starts from reclining position to tumble forward
- Dash Attack (Belly Flop): A belly flop that is slow, but hits hard.
- Forward Smash: long, slow overhead smash with high damage
- Up Smash: front to back hammer swing that launches foes hit
- Down Smash: low hammer swing that hits in front and behind
- Floor Attack (Front):
- Floor Attack (Back):
- Floor Attack (Trip):
- Ledge Attack:
- Neutral aerial: Spread-eagle fall
- Forward aerial: downward hammer strike
- Back aerial: sideways hammer swing with knockback
- Up aerial: upward hammer strike made by spinning hammer head
- Down aerial: downward hammer smash
Grabs and Throws
- Grab: one of the slowest
- Forward Throw: standard, can strike other with thrown foe
- Back Throw: standard, can strike other with thrown foe
- Up Throw: standard
- Down Throw: standard
|King Dedede's Special Moves|
|Side Special||Waddle Dee Toss||Gordo Throw|
|Up Special||Super Dedede Jump|
|Down Special||Jet Hammer|
|Final Smash||Waddle Dee Army||Dedede Burst||Dede-Rush|
- Up Taunt:
- Down Taunt:
- Side Taunt:
His slaves carry him into battle.
In competitive play
To be added