- This article is about King Dedede's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. For other uses, see King Dedede.
|“||He's not very fast, but he's one of few heavyweight fighters with great recovery. Apparently, his first defeat by Kirby inspired him to train hard to learn a move called Hovering, which allows him to float after taking a deep breath.||”|
|—Description from the Super Smash Blog.|
When he challenges the player, he is fought at Fountain of Dreams.
- 1 Attributes
- 2 Summary
- 3 Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- 4 Moveset
- 5 In competitive play
- 6 Palette Swaps
- 7 Gallery
- 8 External links
- Extremely high weight.
- Powerful smash attacks with great range.
- All of his attacks save for up tilt, down tilt, neutral aerial, and dash attack have disjointed hitboxes.
- All smash attacks, neutral Aerial, Jet Hammer and Super Dedede Jump have transcendent priority.
- Forward tilt has the highest range of all forward tilts in the whole game.
- Very strong dash attack.
- Decent standard ground and aerial attacks which have good damage and range.
- Powerful combo throw potential.
- Has many attacks that inflict high shield damage.
- Has one of the highest vertical recoveries in the game.
- Can perform sacrificial KO's with Inhale.
- Gordo Toss can be launched at different speeds and angles, forcing opponents to be on their guard. If it hits a ledge corner it can be stuck for a few seconds, making it useful for edge guarding.
- Jet Hammer can land KOs at early percentages, especially when fully charged.
- Down aerial and Super Dedede Jump can meteor smash opponents.
- Inhale can be used to inhale or reflect most projectiles.
- Large frame, having big hurtboxes.
- Poor frame data overall.
- Despite having multiple jumps, King Dedede has atrocious air speed.
- Very slow running speed.
- Considerable lag on his most powerful attacks.
- High landing lag in most aerials.
- Very high falling speed, which combined with his massive size makes him an easy combo target.
- Has problem dealing with other zoners and campers.
- His Smash Attacks are slow. Additionally Forward and Up Smashes deal very low knockback if they hit with the sourspots on the handle.
- Predictable recovery. Also, Dedede becomes helpless if the player cancels Super Dedede Jump, leaving him extremely vulnerable.
- Super Dedede Jump, while providing massive vertical recovery, will not allow Dedede to cling onto ledges even if he is within range of one.
- Gordo Toss has low priority, and can be easily reflected back at Dedede by practically any attack in the game.
King Dedede has changed a lot in this game being even heavier and having a new final smash.
Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- Down tilt can move left or right no matter the direction he faces when he crouches.
Grabs and Throws
- King Dedede can now inhale Gordos he has thrown via Gordo Throw.
- His Final Smash has been changed to a cage match where Masked Dedede fires missiles at the player, and then knocks them out of the cage with a hammer.
- Neutral Attack: Swings his hammer in front of him twice and then spins the hammer before launching the opponent with a final upward swing. Has high power for a neutral attack, killing most characters at around 150%.
- Forward Tilt: Thrusts his hammer forward while spinning it. Has extremely high range and hits multiple times, making it a good spacing tool.
- Up Tilt: Sets his hammer down to perform a headbutt upwards. One of the strongest up tilts in the entire game.
- Down Tilt: King Dedede rolls himself forward to tackle opponents. His fastest move overall, coming out at frame 6.
- Dash Attack (Belly Flop): His signature belly flop tackle. Is extremely slow and powerful, easily killing opponents at low percentages.
- Forward Smash: Rears back and slams his hammer down in front of him. It is the strongest forward smash in the game in terms of both damage and knockback, being surpassed only by Lucario with maximum aura.
- Up Smash: Swings his hammer above him. Deals high vertical knockback and can hit opponents behind Dedede.
- Down Smash: Swings his hammer around himself. Dedede's fastest but weakest smash attack. It launches opponents at a low angle.
- Floor Attack (Front): Sweeps his foot around himself from front to back.
- Floor Attack (Back): Kicks in front of himself and then behind himself.
- Floor Attack (Trip): Swings his hammer in front of himself and then behind himself.
- Ledge Attack: Kicks with his foot while climbing up.
- Neutral aerial: A splash. The clean hit has KO potential at high percentages while the late hit has plenty of follow-ups, especially when fast falled.
- Forward aerial: Swings his hammer downward in front of himself. Effective for edgeguarding purposes.
- Back aerial: Swings his hammer horizontally behind himself. Very strong, KOing reliably around 120%.
- Up aerial: Thrusts his hammer above himself while spinning it. It is good at juggling opponents and also quite strong for a multi-hit move.
- Down aerial: Swings his hammer downward below himself. The sweetspot meteor smashes aerial opponents while launching grounded opponents horizontally. King Dedede's slowest aerial.
Grabs and Throws
- Grab: Reaches out with his hand. Average range.
- Pummel: Headbutts the enemy. Slow but damaging.
- Forward Throw: Hits the opponent with his hammer forward. Can launch opponents into a thrown Gordo and has KO potential at very high percentages.
- Back Throw: Turns around and hits the opponent with his hammer behind himself. Dedede's strongest throw, but good DI heavily reduces its kill potential.
- Up Throw: Hits the opponent upward with a jump set, a volleyball technique. Easily combos into up aerial at low percentages. King Dedede's weakest throw.
- Down Throw: Slams the opponent into the ground with one hand. It has loads of combo potential, mainly into aerial attacks.
|King Dedede's Special Moves|
|Side Special||Waddle Dee Toss||Gordo Throw|
|Up Special||Super Dedede Jump|
|Down Special||Jet Hammer|
|Final Smash||Waddle Dee Army||Dedede Burst||Dede-Rush|
- Up Taunt: Hoists his hammer upwards in celebration.
- Side Taunt: Spins his hammer while laughing.
- Down Taunt: Dances around in a circle while slapping his belly.
King Dedede is carried on a palanquin by four Waddle Dees. He then jumps off, scattering them.
In competitive play
To be added