Item Swallowing is a technique in Super Smash Bros Brawl, Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It can be performed by Kirby, King Dedede, and Wario. These characters can use their Neutral Special Moves to eat most items. Kirby and King Dedede use Inhale, while Wario uses Chomp. When an item is swallowed, it takes some time for the character to swallow it. Small items like food are immediately swallowed, but large items like barrels have the characters briefly remain bloated with the item in their stomach, before they eventually swallow it. Some items such as Warp Stars take immediate effect upon being eaten, but most simply disappear. Explosive items that are eaten will cause about 6% damage and cause damage to nearby opponents for about 15% of damage.
- Items that cannot be swallowed include the Smash Ball, Mr. Saturn, Poké Balls, Stickers, and CDs.
- Wario, Kirby, and King Dedede can eat Snake's cardboard box when it is thrown.
- When using Inhale and Swallow, the player must usually stand directly next to an item. However, certain items will be actually pulled in from a greater distance.
- Interestingly, eating the peanut from Peanut Popgun shots does not heal any damage unless the shell has been broken. While it will stop the projectile, it leaves Kirby vulnerable while swallowing, and thus is generally not recommended.
- It is also possible to swallow an Auroros while it's stuck in the ground.
- Characters with the ability to item swallow can eliminate Hotheads while they are revolving around the stage, although they may take a bit of damage.
- Koopas that have retreated in their shells can be swallowed to eliminate them.
- Munchlax's function as a Poké Ball Pokémon is to eat all the items (except for the items mentioned above) on the stage.
- Yoshi cannot swallow items, making him the only character that can hold opponents in his mouth but cannot swallow items.
- Characters can eat Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos from Dedede's Waddle Dee Toss attack. They may also eat the vegetables that Princess Peach can toss.
- Characters who can swallow items can eat Sandbag in the Wi-Fi Practice Room, but another will reappear instantly.
- Wario swallows items quicker then Kirby and Dedede, but still takes a while to swallow big things, such as his bike.