Inhale is Kirby's Neutral Special Move in all three of his incarnations in the Super Smash Bros. series, though it was previously called Swallow in Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee. When B is pressed, Kirby opens his mouth and begins to inhale, creating a vacuum of wind. Kirby will never stop inhaling until B is released.
If a character comes near the vortex, they will automatically be sucked inside Kirby, who will bloat up with the person inside of him. He cannot move in Super Smash Bros., while in Melee and Brawl, he will move at extremely slow speeds, although he can jump a short distance. The increased weight causes Kirby to fall faster as well. The goal of the attack is to swallow the victim (by pressing down or B), which will make Kirby copy their powers, enabling him to perform that character's Neutral Special Move (the character pops out after being swallowed, and can still perform their Neutral Special Move). If Kirby traps the wrong character in his mouth, or simply doesn't want the character's move, Kirby can spit the character out by pressing A.
Kirby dons a unique hat depending on who he's inhaled, such as wearing Mario's hat if he swallows Mario. The copied special attack will sometimes be lost when Kirby is attacked enough, and can also be discarded by Taunting. When a Kirby attempts to copy another Kirby that has no copied ability, the swallowed Kirby will pop out the same way as normal; however, it makes a different sound and the swallowing Kirby doesn't receive a copied ability. If a Kirby swallows another Kirby with a copied ability, then the swallowing Kirby copies the power, as well removing the ability from that Kirby.
|Kirby's Special Moves|
|Side Special||—||Hammer||Hammer Flip|
|Up Special||Final Cutter|
|Final Smash||—||Cook Kirby||Ultra Sword|
Inhaling and spitting has been a trademark attack of Kirby since Kirby's Dream Land, but it was not until Kirby's Adventure was he able to swallow an enemy to copy their attack. It wasn't until Kirby Super Star that Kirby also had different hats that indicated the power he copied. A single attack was usually enough to make Kirby lose his copied power. Kirby then had to quickly re-absorb the ability that turned into energy or else it would be destroyed.
Inhale is King Dedede's Neutral Special Move. The attack is identical to Kirby's inhale in appearance, but with slightly increased range, and no copying ability. Dedede will begin to inhale the air in front of him, creating a vortex. He will continue to inhale as long as B is held down.
If a character comes near him, they will automatically be sucked inside of him, and will be trapped in his stomach. When swallowed, Dedede's stomach enlarges to hold the victim, which makes him extremely slow. Dedede simply spits the character back out when A is pressed, or they break free themselves. This attack does 10% when the opponent is exhaled, and if the character-projectile hits someone, it does between 9% to 18% to that person depending on the weight of the inhaled opponent, the heavier it is, the higher damage it does.
|King Dedede's Special Moves|
|Side Special||Waddle Dee Toss||Gordo Throw|
|Up Special||Super Dedede Jump|
|Down Special||Jet Hammer|
|Final Smash||Waddle Dee Army||Dedede Burst||Dede-Rush|
In the Kirby games, Dedede has exhibited the ability to inhale foes or objects and spitting them back, just like Kirby can. He can't, however, copy the inhaled person's abilities.
Dedede's Inhale has at least two glitches. When used on a mine from Snake's down smash, the explosion will go off continuously until it hits someone, Snake plants another mine, or Dedede stops Inhaling.
Another glitch happens when used on Ike in the middle of a Quick Draw. Ike will hit Dedede but continue past, often to his death. However, this is probably due to the vacuum effect created by the Inhale.
- Main Article: Item Swallowing
Both King Dedede and Kirby can swallow items using this move. Any item meant to be eaten will have the same effect (such as Food). Both will automatically swallow the item when it is in their mouth, meaning they can keep other characters from using it. Poké Balls, Mr. Saturn and other "live" items cannot be swallowed. If Kirby or King Dedede inhales a Crate or any other large item, they will not be able to move nor attack until it is fully swallowed. If they inhale an explosive (such as a Bob-omb), they will receive 5% damage, regardless of what that explosive was.
- Main article: Kirbycide
In Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Kirby is capable of slowly walking around the stage while carrying opponents in his mouth or swallowing a foe off stage, but not too far off. This allows for some forms of Kirbycide, wherein Kirby jumps off the edge with someone in his mouth and releases them at a distance or position from which they are unable to recover, forcing a KO. One may swallow at the last second for a K.O. (usually during Time Mode for an extra point), and may survive due to Kirby's tall recovery.
Kirby can also jump off the stage and inhale the opponent who is conveniently standing by. This is the only way to inhale Kirbycide in the original Super Smash Bros., as well as the easiest.
King Dedede can use Inhale to perform a similar form of Sacrificial KO, sometimes known as "Dededecide" or "Regicide."
- If Kirby Copies an enemy while another is beside Kirby the enemy that was standing beside Kirby will also be damaged as well.
- Because Olimar's Neutral Special Move is useless by itself, Kirby does not exactly copy the move. Rather, he will use Pikmin Pluck followed immediately by Pikmin Throw, although the Pikmin will not latch on after being thrown, instead, they will die when they come into contact with anything.
- When Kirby uses Inhale on enemies in the Subspace Emissary, they will take small constant amounts of damage because Kirby can't copy NPC enemies' abilities. It's also noteworthy that Kirby is unable to inhale False Characters.
- Kirby can inhale Waddle Dees, etc. and then swallow them, much like he could swallow enemies in Melee's Adventure Mode. However, unlike in his own games, they don't give him any abilities, as Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos act like items.
- In Super Smash Bros., Kirby can swallow Metal Mario, but is unable to absorb the usage of Fireballs.
- Because Kirby's size is smaller then most characters he inhales, his copied moves are normally slightly inferior versions to others, due to smaller range. This usually, but not always, applies for Physical attacks. But some note that his small size and unique moves allow for interesting setups of some copied moves.
- When Kirby inhales an opponent while he is under the effects of Superspicy Curry, the damaging flames disappear.
- A number of the copy abilities in the Super Smash Bros. series bear at least some resemblance to one of the abilities from Kirby's own games, in design and/or function. An example is Bowser's Fire Breath being similar to the main attack method of Kirby's Fire ability.
- According to the Kirby: Right Back At Ya! anime, Kirby cannot inhale enemies that are larger or heavier than himself. However, he is able to inhale characters as large as Bowser or Donkey Kong in this game. This could be, however, due to the fact that the mechanic would be limited if that were so, and therefore not as useful.
- Kirby's Neutral Special will still be Inhale if he inhales Dedede, and the only difference will be that he can't copy attacks as Dedede Kirby.