- This article is about the Ice Climber's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. For other uses, see Ice Climbers.
|“||Back in the battle after a ten-year absence! There are two of them, so does that make them twice as strong as other fighters?||”|
|—Description from the Super Smash Blog.|
The Ice Climbers (アイスクライマー Aisu Kuraimā?) are veteran fighters in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, first playable in Super Smash Bros. Melee. They were confirmed in June 12, 2018 along with the remaining roster.
When unlocked, they are fought at Summit.
- 1 Attributes
- 2 Summary
- 3 Changes from Brawl
- 4 Moveset
- 5 In competitive play
- 6 Classic Mode: Duos for Days
- 7 Role in World of Light
- 8 In Spirit Battles
- 9 Palette Swaps
- 10 Gallery
- 11 External links
- The Ice Climbers can be desynched to execute attacks in a manner that makes them difficult to dodge or make combos more difficult to escape.
- High jump height.
- Belay covers a high distance and can tether to ledges.
- Squall Hammer is a form of horizontal recovery.
- Ice shot can be used for spacing and zoning as well as to hit opponents from above.
- It is impossible for opponents to determine what percentage Nana is at.
- Poor horizontal air movement.
- Recovery is easy to gimp and is severely weakened if Nana is defeated.
- Squall Hammer leaves them helpless after use.
- Neutral special projectile decreases in size over time and distance and can be affected by sloping platforms.
- If Popo dies, Nana will too.
- They can still move while Iceberg is active and this can cause careless players to walk off a ledge unexpectedly. This, in any case, reduces the iceberg's sideways mobility.
Changes from Brawl
- Nana and Popo appear to stand more closely together.
- Nana cannot act if Popo does a throw or if Popo has been grabbed.
- She also has a unique expression for these animations.
Grabs and Throws
- Nana is unable to grab opponents now, preventing the Ice Climbers from performing Wobbles or chain grabs that they were so well-known for in previous appearances.
- New down throw.
- Belay travels a higher distance.
- Blizzard now only goes in one direction rather than both.
- The stalagmites from their Ice Shot move can be easily reflected, similar to King Dedede's Gordo
- During their Final Smash, the iceberg will now spin constantly while a Condor flies around the stage that Popo/Nana can grab it's leg and ride (Nana/Popo can't grab the Condor's leg unlike Popo/Nana). The Iceberg can also be moved left and right with the joystick. The Polar Bear from the Ice Climber game also makes a cameo appearance.
- Neutral Attack: both swing hammers and apply knockback; a hit from both of them results in knockback as well
- Forward Tilt: horizontal hammer swings
- Up Tilt: twirl both hammers upward; multi-strike with popup
- Down Tilt: crouch with hammer swings and knockback
- Dash Attack: lunge plus hammer swings that launch hit players vertically
- Forward Smash: overhead hammer smashes with knockback; not good anti-air, however
- Up Smash: upward hammer swings that launch foes up
- Down Smash (Hammer Sweep): one hammer swing in the front, another hammer swing behind
- Floor Attack (Front):
- Floor Attack (Back):
- Floor Attack (Trip):
- Ledge Attack:
- Neutral aerial: spin attack from both, hitting forward and behind
- Forward aerial (Hammer Slam): forward two-handed dual-hammer slam; good finisher with meteor smash
- Back aerial: backward hammer swings from both
- Up aerial: upward hammer swing from both
- Down aerial: downward hammer dive-bomb from both; struck enemies are launched
Grabs and Throws
- Control of Nana is deactivated during throws and grabs.
- Grab: moderate range, slow start
- Forward Throw: single hammer swing with knockback
- Back Throw: backward throw over the shouolder
- Up Throw: upward hammer swing that launches foe stright up
- Down Throw: standard
|Ice Climbers' Special Moves|
|Standard Special||Ice Shot|
|Side Special||Squall Hammer|
- Up Taunt: They set down their hammers and jump up and down once. This is their victory animation during the results screen in Ice Climber.
- Down Taunt: They dance in a circle.
- Side Taunt: They point their hammers diagonally upward and shout "Yup!", as wind blows behind them.
The Condor flies in with them hanging off its feet. They then jump off while high fiving each other, and the Condor flies off.
- Both twirl their hammers.
- Both look backwards curiously.
- Both Ice Climbers nod to each other then give each other a high five.
- Both Ice Climbers excitedly jump up and down.
- Standing in front of each other, one Ice Climber moves their head to the left, while the other one moves their head to the right; they then spin their heads around.
In competitive play
To be added
Classic Mode: Duos for Days
Ice Climbers' Classic Mode consists of them fighting two characters from each of their respective universes, referencing themselves being duos.
|1||Link and Zelda||Great Plateau Tower||Main Theme - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild|
|2||Ryu and Ken||Green Greens||Ryu Stage|
|3||Villager and Isabelle||Smashville||Title Theme - Animal Crossing: Wild World (Brawl)|
|4||Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong||Jungle Japes||Jungle Level (Melee)|
|5||Palutena and Pit||Palutena's Temple||Title Theme - Kid Icarus|
|6||Mario and Peach||Princess Peach's Castle||Main Theme - New Super Mario Bros.|
|Final||Master Hand and Crazy Hand||Final Destination||Master Hand / Crazy Hand|
Role in World of Light
Although the Ice Climbers do not appear in the World of Light opening cutscene, they were vaporized and later imprisoned alongside the rest of the fighters (except for Kirby) when Galeem unleashed his beams of light.
The Ice Climbers are unlocked in the southern portion of the snowy mountain area. Unlocking them eliminates the ice paths so they can be traversed in both directions as well as opening a path to the hidden forest. In the battle, you fight on the Omega form of Summit. Ice Climbers have a Grab Spirit in the battle with a power of 7,500.
In Spirit Battles
As the Main Opponents
•Note: Nana becomes the leading, player-controlled character when using the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th costumes shown above. The stock icons for these costumes change to reflect this, but the character select portraits always show Popo in front.