|This Super Smash Bros. related article or section is a stub. You can help Smashpedia by expanding it.|
- This article is about Dragon Quest Hero(es) appearance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. For other uses, see Heroes.
Hero (or The Hero) is a downloadable newcomer in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate from the Dragon Quest universe. He is classified as fighter #72. His inclusion was revealed at the Nintendo Direct show at the E3 2019, and was released on July 30, 2019.
The Hero possesses four different variations as alternate costumes, specifically the Heroes from Dragon Quest XI (the Luminary, who serves as the default outfit), Dragon Quest III (Erdrick), Dragon Quest IV (Solo), and Dragon Quest VIII (Eight). The Hero's sword and shield will also change depending on the outfit, similarly to Cloud and Bayonetta (although this is purely aesthetic).
The Hero possesses a mechanic known as MP Gauge, located above his damage meter and having a maximum of 100 MP. By using a Special Move the MP Gauge depletes by an MP Cost, shown by the Command Menu and visualized by a portion of the bar being colored green (with the exception of Frizz, Zap, and Woosh). A Special Move cannot be activated if the MP Gauge does not have the sufficient amount of MP, and it will reset if Hero is KO'd. The MP Gauge refills over time, though it fills faster when landing attacks, with the amount of MP regained equaling 90% of the damage Hero deals..
- Hero's Shield can block incoming projectiles similarly to Link's shield by standing, crouching, or walking, though only for a short amount of time, as indicated by the shield darkening the longer it shields a projectile.
- Standard Attack: Slashes upwards, slashes downwards, and then an inward swipe with his sword.
- Forward Tilt: A back-handed shield bash followed up by an outward slash. The first hit can block projectiles and clank with other attacks.
- Up Tilt: An overhead arcing slash while jumping.
- Down Tilt: Kicks forward while leaning on the ground with his arm.
- Dash Attack: A jumping slash.
The Hero's Smash attacks have a 12% chance to Critical Hit, where they deal double damage and knockback, and trigger the Special Zoom and a unique sound effect. If shielded, the sound effect will still play to indicate the smash attack being a Critical Hit, though it only deals extra shieldstun.
- Side Smash: Performs a two-handed downward slash in front of him.
- Up Smash: A single upward thrust. Unlike similar Up Smashes, it does not possess a horizontal hitbox, and therefore can only hit opponents directly above him.
- Down Smash: A kneeling inward slash in front of himself followed by a kneeling outward slash behind himself.
- Neutral Aerial: Swings his sword around him.
- Forward Aerial: Swings his sword in a downward arc in front of himself.
- Back Aerial: Turns around and slashes upwards.
- Up Aerial: Performs an upward kick.
- Down Aerial: Thrusts his sword downward with one hand. Meteor Smashes if the initial sword thrust makes contact.
Grabs and Throws
- Grab: Reaches out with his left hand.
- Pummel: Knees the opponent.
- Forward Throw: Tosses the opponent away.
- Back Throw: Rolls on his back and kicks the opponent away behind him.
- Up Throw: Heaves the opponent upward.
- Down Throw: Slams the opponent on the ground.
- Drops onto the ground and holds his sword above his head while shouting.
- Performs Kazap.
- Holds his sword into the air before slashing twice and standing upright and holding his sword close to his body.
- Three Slimes bounce around on the ground before Hero runs in and crouches next to them.
- Hero is the second fighter to represent a franchise from Square Enix, the first being Cloud.
- Hero is one of the four characters whose palette swap are different characters, others being Bowser Jr., Olimar, and Pokémon Trainer.
- In Hero's case he possesses four different characters, with each character having one palette swap respectively.
- Hero possesses the highest number of Special Moves, totaling 30.
- Hero possesses many unique traits in his moveset, being the only fighter to:
- Possess a move outside of a Final Smash or item that instantly KO's an opponent, being Thwack and Whack.
- Possess a move which renders him completely immune to most forms of attacks including grabs, being Kaclang.
- Possess a move that can specifically affect metal opponents, being Metal Slash.
- Mega Man and ROB are metallic beings, yet remain unaffected for gameplay purposes.
- Possess a self-destruct move, being Kamikazee.
- Possess a constant reflector around himself similar to a Franklin Badge, being Bounce.
- Possess a move that can initiate status effects such as Flower, Timer, Poison, or invisible, being Hocus Pocus
- Hero's reveal trailer is shown to be set during the events of World of Light, specifically during the Dark Realm storyline. This implicates that he either, like Kirby, survived Galeem's attack, or was rescued by Kirby along the way.
To be added