Unveiled at E3 2006, Halberd is a new Kirby stage introduced in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It is Meta Knight's airship featured in Kirby Super Star, used for combat. The stage begins in a hangar, which then opens up, letting Meta Knight's airship take off. Any players still on the floor of the hangar at this time will be KO'd. A platform rises from the center, taking the characters with it. It then proceeds to float around in the sky, with the Halberd flying in the background. One minute into the match, the platform lands on the Halberd itself, in front of the Combo Cannon, a boss from Kirby Super Star that interferes by locking on to one player and shooting a blast of energy, by extending its arm to swipe at the players, and shooting powerful cannon balls, which is similar to how it attacked in the aforementioned original game.
Songs in My Music
- Meta Knight's Revenge
- The Legendary Air Ride Machine
- Gourmet Race
- Butter Building
- King Dedede's Theme
- Squeak Squad Theme
- Vs. Marx
- 0² Battle
- Boss Theme Medley
- Checker Knights
- Forest / Nature Area
- Frozen Hillside
Songs in bold must be unlocked
The Halberd is a battle ship used by Meta Knight in Kirby Super Star, its remake Kirby Super Star Ultra (both in the Revenge of Meta Knight subgame) and Kirby Squeak Squad. In Super Star and Super Star Ultra, it was used as a battleship that Kirby was on for most of the subgame. Kirby eventually damaged it enough so that it crashed into the ocean over which it had been flying. In Squeak Squad, it is the place where Meta Knight battles Kirby. The hangar seen in Brawl was seen at the beginning of the first cutscene in that game. It is possible that the "Machine Passage" course in Kirby Air Ride takes place on the Halberd, as they both share similar design schemes and colors.
The Combo Cannon
The Combo Cannon is a weapon on Meta Knight's battleship, the Halberd. It comes with a beam cannon, a cannon that shoots cannonballs, and a large mechanical arm. It's a boss in Meta Knight's Revenge's chapter of Kirby Super Star and Kirby Super Star Ultra, the latter of which renamed the cannon "Main Cannon #2."
The Combo Cannon is one of the main hazards of the Halberd stage. In the Subspace Emissary, the combo cannon can be seen fighting against Fox's Arwing twice, until it was eventually destroyed. The arm also held the Great Fox as the Halberd crashed it into the Summit.
The main gun of the battleship Halberd. As the name references, it has two guns--the top one shoots out slow-moving shells, and the bottom one fires a powerful laser. There's a mechanical arm at the base that is used to grab enemies and hold them to be blasted by the laser cannon. It has a wide attack range and once shot down Dyna Blade after she aided Kirby.
- Kirby Super Star, 1996
Role in the Subspace Emissary
The Halberd is being commandeered as the mother ship for the Subspace Army during the story. It also engages Fox in an Arwing twice and the Great Fox once. In all these cases the Halberd was too much for its attackers. Near the end of the story, Meta Knight regains control of the ship and picks up the other protagonists. The ship is later destroyed when it attempts a direct assault on the Subspace Gunship.
It was later revealed in a post on the Smash Bros Dojo website that at some point prior to the start of the game, the Subspace Army stormed the Halberd and captured it. During the fight, Meta Knight was distracted by King Dedede, which allowed the Subspace Army to steal the ship. It is during this incident that King Dedede learns of Tabuu's true motivations. This is what prompts him to construct the Dedede Brooches later. According to the Dojo post, this was originally supposed to be shown in a cinematic, but the scene had to be cut due to time constraints.
- Meta Knight's battleship, built to help Meta Knight take control of Dream Land. It's crewed by Meta Knight and the Meta-Knights and is equipped with the Combo Cannon and a shrimplike robot called the Heavy Lobster. Kirby destroys the ship's reactor, causing the Wheelies who power the ship to flee. In the end, the ship crashes into the sea while the sun sets in the background.
(Kirby Super Star)
- If a player is standing off the platform and the stage lifts, he or she is instantly knocked out. When facing CPU's on this stage, they can easily be KO'd by staying off the platform then jumping up at the last second. Players will be taken up with the screen while any CPU's in the hanger are KO'd.
- It's interesting to note that this is the only location in The Subspace Emissary that is also a playable stage in multiplayer mode.
- This is the only "moving" stage in Brawl that does not return to its original location.
- When the main platform takes off at the start of the match, the Pokémon Trainer remains in the hangar, which is strange because in every other moving stage either he has his own floating platform or he Space Jumps to catch up with the stage.
- The Halberd Luigi's Mansion and, oddly enough Corneria are the only stages to have their own Trophy
- Once the laser cannon locks onto a player, it will follow them until it fires or until the player is KO'd. It will then pick another target at random, possibly targeting the same player again if he or she is unlucky enough. The claw works in the same way.
- If the laser is fired at a high target, you can see that the laser slightly curves downwards.
- If the laser targets a character that uses the Dragoon, the crosshairs strangely move towards the screen until not visible.
- The same 3D model of the Halberd used in this stage appears in the CG cutscenes of Kirby Super Star Ultra for the Nintendo DS.
- It is possible to evade the cannon by constantly using the Shield Dodge while on the ground. Also, if a player forces the cannon into another player, it is possible to hold down a near-full or full shield against the laser, and have it not be broken.
- Despite the appearance of the main platform's thickness (the lower one with the central dip), whilst it is in the air, it is possible for any character to jump up through it. However, it is one-way only and cannot be dropped through.