Green Hill Zone is the stage that represents Sonic the Hedgehog in the game. It is unlocked after Sonic himself is unlocked. The midsection is a half-pipe that crumbles away if it attacked too much during the course of the fight. There are also checkpoint lampposts that can be spun around to hurt other players once when they are blue. In the background is a giant shuttle loop with a 1-Up video monitor above it. The background also consists of various other parts of the Green Hill Zone.
This stage is from Sonic the Hedgehog (1991). Green Hill Zone is the first zone (stage) in Sonic the Hedgehog. The shuttle loop seen in the background first appeared in Green Hill Zone and has appeared in some form in almost every Sonic game. This stage also does have some similarities to the Green Hill Zone in Sonic Adventure 2, with the stage rendered in 3D. An item box can be seen on the top of the loop. In Sonic the Hedgehog, item boxes were containers that contained certain items.On top of the shuttle loop is a Power Up TV. This object is essentially the equivalent of the Mario franchise's ? Block. This particular TV has a picture of Sonic on it. In all Sonic games, this would give you an extra life. This stage has many elements from Sonic the Hedgehog in the background, such as flowers, rings, spikes, palm trees, etc. In Sonic the Hedgehog there are cliffhangers that crumble down if the player jumps on them. In this stage, the center of the stage can crumble. The signpost that appears in this level is a reference to the checkpoints in Sonic games, which rotate as the player character runs by them and return him to that spot should they die while having remaining lives.
Miles "Tails" Prower first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and is one of Sonic's friends. Knuckles first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and is one of Sonic's rivals and friends. Silver the Hedgehog is from Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and is also one of Sonic's friends. In the background of this stage, Tails, Knuckles, and Silver can be seen running through the shuttle loop.
On March 17th 2009, the SBR announced that the stage should be banned, as opposed to its former status as a counterpick. Many players take issue with Green Hill Zone for its extremely campy nature. The most effective strategy when fighting here is to camp the signposts, which have significant defensive power for an already highly defensive game, and this can severely cheapen the flow of the match. Furthermore, both sides of the stage have permanent walk-off edges, favoring chain-grabs or simply camping the edge should the character have even average throwing capabilities, as it is easy to simply throw your opponent off the edge (even at low percents). For these reasons, this stage is frequently banned in tournament-level play, meaning that no stages based off of third-party games are allowed as such, since Shadow Moses Island is also banned.
Songs in My Music
- Green Hill Zone
- Angel Island Zone
- Scrap Brain Zone
- Emerald Hill Zone
- Sonic Boom
- Super Sonic Racing
- Open Your Heart
- Live and Learn
- Sonic Heroes
- Right There, Ride On
- HIS WORLD (Instrumental)
- Seven Rings in Hand
Songs in bold must be unlocked
Originally, You Can Do Anything from the Japanese/PAL version of Sonic CD was suppose to be in the game, but was dropped out in favor of Sonic Boom, which was in the US version of the game.
- When playing as Pokémon Trainer, he appears on top of the loop.
- Sometimes, the bridge will slow down an attack like Spin Dash or Wario Bike.
- A mistake currently exists in the Spanish version of the DOJO!! of this stage's page: instead of displaying the Sonic universe icon, Sonic's head's silhouette, it has the symbol of the Mario universe, which is a mushroom.
- The songs Green Hill Zone, Emerald Hill Zone and Scrap Brain Zone are the only unchanged 16-bit songs in Brawl.
- Green Hill Zone is the only stage to have only one remixed theme.
- The stage was most likely made from Green Hill Zone from Sonic Adventure 2, but the grass is a lighter color.
- When a section of the stage regenerates, if a player is below the regenerated ground, he/she will fall through the ground.
- In my music in Brawl for Green hill zone the song sonic heroes is misspelled Sonic Heroos