Green Hill Zone is the stage that represents Sonic the Hedgehog in the game. It is unlocked after Sonic himself is unlocked. The midsection is a half-pipe that crumbles away if it attacked too much during the course of the fight. There are also checkpoint lampposts that can be spun around to hurt other players once when they are blue. In the background is a giant shuttle loop with a 1-Up video monitor above it. The background also consists of various other parts of the Green Hill Zone.
This stage is from Sonic the Hedgehog (1991). Green Hill Zone is the first zone (stage) in Sonic the Hedgehog. The Shuttle Loop in the background of the Brawl stage is a famous part of the Sonic series. It has appeared in almost every Sonic game. The stage is also very similar to its appearance in Sonic Adventure 2, with its 3D appearance. The Brawl stage has many features that are in StH. For example, tiled soil and rings. On top of the Shuttle Loop can be seen an item box that represents an extra life in the Sonic series. The goal posts in StH are checkpoints. In StH, if one were to jump on a cliffhanger, the cliffhanger would crumble down. In Brawl, the center of the stage can crumble down.
On March 17th 2009, the SBR announced that the stage should be banned, as opposed to its former status as a counterpick. Many players take issue with Green Hill Zone for its extremely campy nature. The most effective strategy when fighting here is to camp the signposts, which have significant defensive power for an already highly defensive game, and this can severely cheapen the flow of the match. Furthermore, both sides of the stage have permanent walk-off edges, favoring chain-grabs or simply camping the edge should the character have even average throwing capabilities, as it is easy to simply throw your opponent off the edge (even at low percents). For these reasons, this stage is frequently banned in tournament-level play.
Songs in My Music
- Green Hill Zone
- Angel Island Zone
- Scrap Brain Zone
- Emerald Hill Zone
- Sonic Boom
- Super Sonic Racing
- Open Your Heart
- Live and Learn
- Sonic Heroes
- Right There, Ride On
- HIS WORLD (Instrumental)
- Seven Rings in Hand
Songs in bold must be unlocked
- As can be seen in the image to the right, supporting Sonic characters Miles "Tails" Prower, Silver the Hedgehog and Knuckles the Echidna can be seen making cameo appearances as they run (or in Tails' and Silver's case, fly) through the loop, either individually, in pairs, or all at once.
- The signpost that appears in this level is a reference to the checkpoints in Sonic games, which rotate as the player character runs by them and return him to that spot should they die while having remaining lives.
- On top of the shuttle loop is a Power Up TV. This object is essentially the equivalent of the Mario franchise's ? Block. This particular TV has a picture of Sonic on it. In all Sonic games, this would give you an extra life. When using Tails or Knuckles their face will appear instead of Sonic's.
- When playing as Pokémon Trainer, he appears on top of the loop.
- Sometimes, the bridge will slow down an attack like Spin Dash or Wario Bike.
- A mistake currently exists in the Spanish version of the DOJO!! of this stage's page: instead of displaying the Sonic universe icon, Sonic's head's silhouette; it has the symbol of the Mario universe, which is a mushroom.
- The songs Green Hill Zone, Emerald Hill Zone and Scrap Brain Zone are the only unchanged 16-bit songs in Brawl.
- Green Hill Zone is the only stage to have only one remixed theme.
- The stage was most likely made from Green Hill Zone from Sonic Adventure 2, but the grass is a lighter color.
- When a section of the stage regenerates, if a player is below the regenerated ground, he/she will fall through the ground.