Green Hill Zone (グリーンヒルゾーン) is the stage that represents Sonic the Hedgehog in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It is unlocked after Sonic himself is unlocked. The midsection is a half-pipe that crumbles away if attacked too much during the course of the fight. There are also Point Markers posts that can be hit to make it red and spin around to hurt other players. In the background is a giant shuttle loop with a 1-UP Item Box above it. The background also consists of various other parts of the Green Hill Zone.
The stage returns in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.
This stage represents Green Hill Zone, the first zone (stage) from Sonic the Hedgehog (1991). The shuttle loop seen in the background first appeared in Green Hill Zone and has appeared in some form in almost every Sonic game. This stage also does have some similarities to the Green Hill Zone in Sonic Adventure 2, with the stage rendered in 3D.
This stage has many elements from Sonic the Hedgehog in the background, such as flowers, rings, spikes, palm trees, etc. In Sonic the Hedgehog there are cliffhangers that crumble down if the player jumps on them. In this stage, the center of the stage can crumble. The Point Marker that appears in this level is a reference to the checkpoints in Sonic games, which rotate as the player character runs by them and return him to that spot should they die while having remaining lives. An Item Box can be seen on the top of the shuttle loop. In Sonic the Hedgehog, Item Boxes are containers in the shape of monitors that contained certain items, being essentially the equivalent of the Mario franchise's ? Block. This particular TV has a picture of Sonic on it. In all Sonic games, this would give Sonic an extra life.
In the background of this stage, Tails, Knuckles, and Silver can be seen running through the shuttle loop. Miles "Tails" Prower first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and is one of Sonic's best friends. Knuckles first appeared in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and is a friendly rival of Sonic. Silver the Hedgehog is from Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) and is also one of Sonic's friends.
On March 17, 2009, the SBR announced that the stage should be banned, as opposed to its former status as a counterpick. Many players take issue with Green Hill Zone for its extremely campy nature. The most effective strategy when fighting here is to camp the signposts, which have significant defensive power for an already highly defensive game, and this can severely cheapen the flow of the match. Furthermore, both sides of the stage have permanent walk-off edges, favoring chain-grabs or simply camping the edge should the character have even average throwing capabilities, as it is easy to simply throw your opponent off the edge (even at low percents). For these reasons, this stage is frequently banned in tournament-level play, meaning that no stages based on third-party games are allowed as such, since Shadow Moses Island is also banned.
Songs in My Music
- Green Hill Zone
- Angel Island Zone
- Scrap Brain Zone
- Emerald Hill Zone
- Sonic Boom
- Super Sonic Racing
- Open Your Heart
- Live and Learn
- Sonic Heroes
- Right There, Ride On
- HIS WORLD (Instrumental)
- Seven Rings in Hand
Songs in bold must be unlocked
Originally, You Can Do Anything from the Japanese/PAL version of Sonic CD was supposed to be in the game, but was dropped out in favor of Sonic Boom, which was in the US version of the game.
- When playing as Pokémon Trainer, he appears on top of the loop.
- Sometimes, the bridge will slow down an attack like Spin Dash or Wario Bike.
- A mistake currently exists in the Spanish version of the DOJO!! of this stage's page: instead of displaying the Sonic universe icon, Sonic's head's silhouette, it has the symbol of the Mario universe, which is a mushroom.
- The songs Green Hill Zone, Emerald Hill Zone and Scrap Brain Zone are the only unchanged 16-bit songs in Brawl.
- Green Hill Zone is the only stage to have only one remixed theme.
- The stage was most likely made from Green Hill Zone from Sonic Adventure 2, but the grass is a lighter color.
- When a section of the stage regenerates, if a player is below the regenerated ground, he/she will fall through the ground.
- In the intro of Super Smash Bros Brawl Sonic is seen running on Green Hill zone.
- The Genesis music tracks, Scrap Brain Zone, Emerald Hill Zone, Green Hill Zone and Angel Island Zone, make SEGA.
Template:SSB3DS/Wii U Stages