- This article is about Fox's appearance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. For other uses, see Fox McCloud.
|“||He can overwhelm his opponents with his quick movements, and his specials don't leave him open for counterattacks. His costume and voice have been redone to match his appearance in Star Fox Zero. This Fox is brand new! "Come on!"||”|
|—Description from the Super Smash Blog.|
Changes from SSBWU/3DS
- Fox's design has been updated to match his appearance in Star Fox Zero.
Grabs and Throws
- Fox Illusion has more starting lag and will stop instantly upon hitting an opponent's shield.
- His Reflector now has more hitstun.
- Fox's Final Smash has been changed to Team Star Fox.
- Neutral Attack: Fox punches with an arm, then the other, and then unleashes a series of rapid kicks, which ends with a stronger one.
- Forward Tilt: Fox does a side kick; can be angled up and down.
- Up Tilt: Fox kicks behind himself in an upwards arc, hitting behind and above.
- Down Tilt: Fox swings his tail across the ground.
- Dash Attack: Fox leaps off the ground and kicks forwards.
- Forward Smash: Fox performs a butterfly kick, leaping forwards and kicking in a downwards motion.
- Up Smash: Fox does a backflip, kicking upwards.
- Down Smash: Fox does a splits kick, kicking to both sides.
- Floor Attack (Front):
- Floor Attack (Back):
- Floor Attack (Trip):
- Ledge Attack: As he climbs the edge, he projects himself forward and does a frontal kick with both legs.
- Neutral aerial: Fox performs a sex kick.
- Forward aerial (Tornado Kick): Fox spins around multiple times, throwing out five kicks in front of himself.
- Back aerial: Fox kicks backwards with one leg.
- Up aerial (McCloud Flip): Fox does a flip, kicking upwards and then striking upwards with his tail.
- Down aerial: Fox drill kicks downwards.
Grabs and Throws
- Pummel: Fox jabs his knee into the grabbed opponent.
- Forward Throw: Fox punches the opponent forward.
- Back Throw: Fox throws the opponent backwards and then fires three lasers at them.
- Up Throw: Fox throws the opponent upwards and then fires three lasers at them.
- Down Throw: Fox pins the opponent down and fires multiple lasers into them.
|Fox's Special Moves|
|Side Special||—||Fox Illusion|
|Up Special||Fire Fox|
|Final Smash||—||Landmaster||Team Star Fox|
- Up Taunt:
- Down Taunt:
- Side Taunt:
In competitive play
To be added
Classic Mode: Spaceborne Smash
Fox's opponents are all space travelers.
|1||Samus||Brinstar||Title Theme - Metroid|
|2||Rosalina & Luma||Mario Galaxy||Egg Planet|
|3||Meta Knight||Halberd||Meta Knight's Revenge|
|4||Giant Dark Samus||Frigate Orpheon||Star Fox Medley||Zero Suit Samus is a CPU ally.|
|5||Olimar||Distant Planet||Stage Select - Pikmin 2|
|6||Wolf||Venom (Omega form)||Star Wolf (Brawl)|
|Final||Master Hand||Final Destination||?||On a high intensity, Crazy Hand teams up with Master Hand.|
Role in World of Light
Fox was among the fighters that were on the cliffside that gathered to defeat the army of Master Hands.
During the opening cutscene, Fox was issuing orders to the other fighters, telling them "[not to] let a single one [of the Master Hands] get away". Fox was also present on the cliffside when Galeem unleashed his beams of light. He was vaporized offscreen, and was placed under Galeem's imprisonment alongside the rest of the fighters (excluding Kirby). A puppet fighter cloned from him is later seen along with ones cloned from Simon, Mario and other fighters.
Fox is unlocked near a heart-shaped lake. The player must defeat either Nyna's or Panther Coroso's spirit to access his unlock battle. Unlocking Fox will allow the player to access the red switch which opens the red gate leading towards the Temple of Light sub-area as well as clearing a path blocked by rocks. This makes him one of the few mandatory fighter unlocks.
He is later seen again alongside Mario and several other fighters, making their last stand against Galeem and Dharkon. In the bad ending where Galeem emerges victorious against Dharkon, Fox is among the fighters witnessing the world becoming engulfed in light.
Tips about a character's background and how to use that character can appear at random intervals on the loading screen. The player can also access the full list of tips at any time in the "Vault" section. The following tips are copied verbatim from the in-game text.
- Fox's Origins: Fox made his debut in 1993, in the SNES game Star Fox. In his fighter craft, the Arwing, he fought to take down the evil scientist Andross.
- In His Series: Fox is the leader of the mercenary group Star Fox. He cares about his team and has a strong sense of justice. He heads to Venom to defeat Andross, the scientist responsible for the disappearance of his father.
- Blaster (Neutral Special): The Blaster fires quickly, and its shots go a long way, but enemies won't flinch when they're hit, so use this at a safe distance.
- Fox Illusion (Side Special): When you use this move on the ground, Fox will always stop if he reaches an edge. When used in the air, you need to be a little more careful.
- Using Fox Illusion Effectively (Side Special): A shielded opponent will stop Fox in his tracks, leaving him open to counterattack. Try to use this move when your opponent can't anticipate it.
- Reflector (Down Special): This move can reflect projectiles, and it also damages nearby opponents when activated.
- Reflector in the Air (Down Special): Using Reflector in midair slows down Fox's fall back to the ground. Using this when an enemy is about to attack from below can throw off their timing.
- Launching with Reflector (Down Special): A direct hit from Reflector will launch opponents at a low angle. You can use this to disrupt an opponent trying to make their way back to the stage.
- Team Star Fox (Final Smash): The full force of Team Star Fox engages the targeted opponents. If Wolf is one of the opponents, Fox will deliver a special line.
- Tornado Kick (Forward Air Attack): Time your attack so that you land before hitting your opponent for a fifth time. They'll bounce off the ground, and you can make follow-up attacks.
- McCloud Flip (Up Air): A two-part attack where Fox kicks and swats opponents with his tail. It's great for doing damage and launching opponents.