Enemies are entities in the Super Smash Bros. series. Their first appearance was in Super Smash Bros. Melee, appearing on certain stages in Adventure Mode, and also randomly coming out of containers in normal battles. They also appear in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, being featured in the Subspace Emissary, but no longer appearing in containers. They also appear in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS in the Smash Run mode of the game.
Enemies have different functions. They cause damage to any character that makes contact with one. The enemies can be picked up with the Z button and can be thrown at other characters. The character who is hit by a thrown enemy will receive about 30% damage and might die at a low percentage. The character that KO's an enemy will receive extra bonus point for every enemy they kill (The points vary on what enemy is KO). Though, they can appear like regular items if using Action Replay. They are similar to assist trophies in Brawl.
Below is a list of enemies that come out of containers. These enemies also give a certain number of bonus points depending on which one is KO.
- Koopa Troopas (green), being nearly identical to the ones in the Super Mario franchise.
- Koopa Paratroopas (red), similar to their green counterparts, with minor changes, like color.
- Goombas, being identical to their Mario counterparts, but can be hit and launched.
- Like Likes
- ReDeads, who scream, paralyzing any grounded fighters in its range, then slashing at them
- Polar Bears
- Shy Guys (Cannot come out of containers, but still function as enemies)
These are special kind of enemies that appear on certain stages. They don't appear out of containers either. No character is awarded bonus points for killing these enemies, assuming that they can be killed. Some of these enemies can appear like regular items using an Action Replay.
All these appear in Melee, if not specified.